OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seminary troubles  (Read 1003 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here in aaages. Good to be back Smiley I didn't know where to put this thread since it relates to the seminary and seminaries do relate to faith a great deal so...

This past summer, I decided not to go back to school, and I decided I was going to try something utterly different such as auto mechanic course. Then, at my parish's annual feast day celebrations, one night the priest came over and sat down to eat some nice giros, and loukoumades, and some fresh draft to go along with it. Anyways, he's been suggesting that I might have a calling...and of course we got onto topic again. But this time I felt in my heart that perhaps this is what I wanted to do.

So with that,  I enrolled to enter the (Greek) Orthodox seminary in Toronto, and I ordered my cassock and everything. Then at the last minute, an Orthodox family-friend of ours found out about my decision and called me
up saying that this decision is the wrong decision due to the seminary being one-sided and only from  greek perspective which is really not condusive to orthodox christian ministry in north america. I was basically offered a grant to study at San Anselmo's university/college in Rome Italy, and THEN come back here to study in the greek seminary on the basis that I would petition the archbishop of toronto to allow me to practise in this gentleman's archdiocese when and if the time ever came for me to serve in God in such a way...

To make a looong story less long, I personally think that everyone around me is jumping the gun. The Greeks and the Antiochians are all telling me what is right, this and that, and all I want to do is get a taste of seminary to see if such a future is a possibility not for sure.

If I could afford to study at Holy Cross, I would. I've been there before as part of their first-year's Cross Roads youth program and I was impressed by it all, but our family-friend who is willing to sponser me, is only willing to sponser me to the San Anselmo University or St. Vladimir's...I'm not necessarily disagreeing to either of these, but in the end, I don't want to move to another diocese for whatever reason.

Excuse the rant, but any ideas, suggestions anyone?

thanks in advance Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »

Doesn't Holy Cross offer scholarships? I know that at St Vlad's I got like 75% of my tuition covered. Maybe Holy Cross has the same kind of set up.

There was someone from your diocese who studied at St Vlad's and is now a priest in your Metropolis, Fr Theodore Paraskevopoulos; maybe you should ask him how that worked for him.

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »

Welcome back! Have you thought about how different things would be if you went to study at San Anselmo's university/college in Rome Italy, as opposed to just going to Greek Seminary?

Then at the last minute, an Orthodox family-friend of ours found out about my decision and called me
up saying that this decision is the wrong decision due to the seminary being one-sided and only from  greek perspective which is really not condusive to orthodox christian ministry in north america.

If I could afford to study at Holy Cross, I would. I've been there before as part of their first-year's Cross Roads youth program and I was impressed by it all, but our family-friend who is willing to sponser me, is only willing to sponser me to the San Anselmo University or St. Vladimir's...I'm not necessarily disagreeing to either of these, but in the end, I don't want to move to another diocese for whatever reason.

Has he told you why he feels the Greek Seminary isn't condusive to ministry in America?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »

Wow, Fr. Anastasios the world is a small place, this same Fr. Theodore was our greek dance instructor and youth group leader until he became a priest and was 'shipped off' Smiley  Cheesy to Manitoba. I will speak with him. I got him on facebook Smiley

Well, the point of San'Anselmo's would be to expose me to higher learning in an academic setting, and it being Italy doesn't hurt one bit as well as get a handle on both Eastern church matters as well as some more western church basics. San'Anselmo's offers Orthodox programs, they've got a Greek strand and a Russian-based strand, plus I already speak Italian and Calabrese. The Greek seminary in Toronto basically prepares men to serve in the Canadian Greek Orthodox church and doesn't offer much beyond that limited scope.

Tags: Seminary 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: