OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter's Cross...  (Read 2189 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: August 28, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »

Grace and Peace,

recently my daughter lost her Immaculate Metal... providence anyone?

Anyway I wanted to get her an Orthodox Cross to give to her when she's Chrismated into the Orthodox Church. Can anyone point me to a 'Child's Orthodox Cross'?

Thanks and God Bless.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »

Grace and Peace,

recently my daughter lost her Immaculate Metal... providence anyone?

Anyway I wanted to get her an Orthodox Cross to give to her when she's Chrismated into the Orthodox Church. Can anyone point me to a 'Child's Orthodox Cross'?

Thanks and God Bless.

Unless she is really quite young, a Child's cross may be too small...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »

With my Godchildren, they have their gold baptismal Cross, but for everyday use, I got each of them a woven Cross made by monastics at my local monastery. This might be a good option with kids as they have a tendency to lose things! (I keep an extra supply on hand!) You can also buy them online:
http://www.athenshop.com/en/Komboskini_cross.asp#KomboskiniCross

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:32:59 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

What is "too small"? My baptismal cross is a small (less than 3/4" long and very delicate), cheap, silver one I purchased in Kyiv in the event I should later become Orthodox. I bought it at a religious bookstore in the underground bookmarket on Ploschad' Slavy, beside the Hotel Salut. I personally prefer small, delicate crosses, but am now curious about what is "too small".

Oh, you just posted, ozgeorge! That's such a good idea! Very sturdy and practical.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »

Too small = not much bigger than an adult fingernail.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »

Too small = not much bigger than an adult fingernail.

Is this a personal preference, or is there actually such a rule in the Church? Undecided

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »

The really small ones are not real hardy. My 3 year old has nearly chewed hers in half, and she only wears it Sundays Roll Eyes I have been thinking about picking her up a larger version just so it isn't as mauled and malleable.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »

What is "too small"? My baptismal cross is a small (less than 3/4" long and very delicate), cheap, silver one I purchased in Kyiv in the event I should later become Orthodox. I bought it at a religious bookstore in the underground bookmarket on Ploschad' Slavy, beside the Hotel Salut. I personally prefer small, delicate crosses, but am now curious about what is "too small".

Maybe this is more his style:

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:48:09 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

LOL Cheesy
Actually, I think there are more practical considerations as to why kid's Crosses shouldn't be small and delicate.
For instance, there is a reason why kid's toys are not usually made "small and delicate"! I made the mistake of getting my six year old Goddaughter a miniature china toy tea set for her birthday last year, and she loves it, but so far, I've had to replace it 4 times!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

^^LOL

My granddaughters have reasonably small baptismal crosses; one a silver St Olga's which is about 3/4", the other a basic gold Latin cross of about the same length.

Rosehip,

As far as I know, there are no Church rules concerning cross size. It would be rather bizarre if there were, I think; especially when one considers the variety we have to choose from. Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »

^^ Whew. LOL! You saved my day, Riddi!

Greeki, that pic made me laugh and reminded me of a date I had last year with a non-orthodox guy. We got started on religion and it turned out he had actually seen my priest about town several times! He told me he was concerned about  the size of the priest's cross and had wanted to inform the priest he was guilty of the sin of religious "bling". Sigh. Oh well.

How old is your daughter, Ignatius, if I may ask? That might aid the discussion.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »

He told me he was concerned about  the size of the priest's cross and had wanted to inform the priest he was guilty of the sin of religious "bling". Sigh. Oh well.

LoL, wow.  That's a new one.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »

Is this a personal preference, or is there actually such a rule in the Church? Undecided

The smaller, the less sturdy. No rules involved, just practicality.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 01:59:04 AM »

Another consideration: Many small children I know have a gold or silver baptismal cross of whatever size, but, instead of a chain, the cross is worn on a narrow ribbon. The soft ribbon is comfortable for little ones, and no risk of breaking an expensive chain. Once the child is old enough (and less destructive!), the cross is worn on a chain as usual.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »

A safety pin is good too.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »

^^ Whew. LOL! You saved my day, Riddi!

Greeki, that pic made me laugh and reminded me of a date I had last year with a non-orthodox guy. We got started on religion and it turned out he had actually seen my priest about town several times! He told me he was concerned about  the size of the priest's cross and had wanted to inform the priest he was guilty of the sin of religious "bling". Sigh. Oh well.

How old is your daughter, Ignatius, if I may ask? That might aid the discussion.

My daughter is 6 years old. Her Miraculous Metal was 'child sized' and we've had to replace it once already. Our Catholic Godparents bought it for her. She wears it 'all the time' so she's sad she doesn't have it. We're sure she lost it when she was with her cousins playing at a playground. I'm fine with purchasing a couple because I know she likes wearing her religious jewelry.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

Why not let her pick what she likes. I sat with my elder granddaughter and went through the crosses they had at St Necktarios Press. My daughter and her husband also picked their baptismal crosses from there. Here is the link if you are interested  - http://www.orthodoxpress.org/catalog/crosses.htm

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »

After 5 kids and 8 grandkids, I recommend the safety pin at least until about 3-4 to keep the cross with the child and not being used as a play thing.  From about 4-8 I recommend a cross with a cord, especially with boys, it seems to hold up better, after  8 a cord or chain works ok.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: Holy Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: