OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:09:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this rude?  (Read 2197 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »

As long as you don't do it practically with a megaphone, would it be considered rude to say "From the Father through the Son" while attending Catholic Mass for Catholic family members, even though everyone else around you is saying, "From the Father and the Son"? Thanks!

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »

As long as you don't do it practically with a megaphone, would it be considered rude to say "From the Father through the Son" while attending Catholic Mass for Catholic family members, even though everyone else around you is saying, "From the Father and the Son"? Thanks!

I don't think it is rude, but why do you think you should attend the Catholic Mass in the first place? What good does it do to you OR to your relatives?

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

Would anyone notice if you just said "from the Father" and left it at that?  At least this way you're not playing any games with the words.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »

If you have to attend Mass out of a promise to a relative I would say the Creed the Orthodox way and I'm sure no one will notice.  It would be weird if people were quiet to listen to how you recite it! Tongue

juliana
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »

As someone who has had to listen to Roman Catholics seeking shelter from their local happyclappydippy post V2 Latin church literally shout "AND THE SON!" during the singing of the Creed in a filioque-less ByzCath church, it would be quite rude, disruptive and just plain spiteful.  Such an attitude has no place in any Christian church especially from an invited guest.

It would be far more appropriate for you to not even pray along and omit "..and the Son" because the Creed in ICEL English is presently worded in the first person plural ("We believe...") as opposed to the original first person singular.

edit: minor vocabulary change
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:18:37 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »

If you have to attend Mass out of a promise to a relative I would say the Creed the Orthodox way and I'm sure no one will notice.  It would be weird if people were quiet to listen to how you recite it! Tongue

juliana
I attended a Protestant college, and at the beginning of one class we were required to recite the Lord's Prayer. I simply stopped after "deliver us from the evil one." Several noticed, but no one said anything except the professor, who understood Catholic liturgical tradition enough to understand why I'm not used to reciting the rest.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »

I don't think it is rude, but why do you think you should attend the Catholic Mass in the first place? What good does it do to you OR to your relatives?

My biological mother and my brother are Roman Catholics, not that I would enjoy being with them, much less celebrate some family achievement at their Church. I would just do it for my father, who's a liberal Muslim, but who still wants us to be somewhat of a family...

As someone who has had to listen to Roman Catholics seeking shelter from their local happyclappydippy post V2 Latin church literally shout "AND THE SON!" during the singing of the Creed in a filioque-less ByzCath church, it would be quite rude, disruptive and just plain spiteful.  Such an attitude has no place in any Christian church especially from an invited guest.

It would be far more appropriate for you to not even pray along and omit "..and the Son" because the Creed in ICEL English is presently worded in the first person plural ("We believe...") as opposed to the original first person singular.

LMAO @ the first part! laugh
I don't know if I agree with the latter part. I wouldn't be shouting as if I were at a baseball game, but at the same time, why should I leave my beliefs at the door, even though I'm not yet an officially recognized Orthodox?

I attended a Protestant college, and at the beginning of one class we were required to recite the Lord's Prayer. I simply stopped after "deliver us from the evil one."

That's funny those Protestants would change the Lord's Prayer as it was given to us by Jesus Himself, seeing as how many Protestants are sola scriptura... Tongue
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:08:15 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »

it would be quite rude, disruptive and just plain spiteful.  Such an attitude has no place in any Christian church especially from an invited guest.

Eactly.

We must respect others beliefs.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

I don't know if I agree with the latter part. I wouldn't be shouting as if I at a baseball game, but at the same time, why should I leave my beliefs at the door, even though I'm not yet an officially recognized Orthodox?

You're not leaving them at the door.  Indeed, your silence during the Roman Catholic recitation of the Creed with the Filioque is your statement of belief.  There are Orthodox clergy and laity who would most likely counsel you to not even join in the Our Father. 

I would also add that the simple fact that you feel compelled to ask this question means that your conscience is uncomfortable with the idea.  I've always been raised with the idea that if you have to ask if something is rude or inappropriate, it probably is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:06:46 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 02:10:13 PM »

Something else to think about:

Why would you replace one unauthorized alteration to the Creed with another equally unauthorized alteration to the Creed?  "Through the Son" may be better theology than "and from the Son", but neither was ever properly approved for use in the Creed.

And the "keeping up appearances" part:  Didn't the priest Eleazar show us in 2 Macabees that it's better just to be honest and avoid even the appearance of compromise?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:13:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Something else to think about:

Why would you replace one unauthorized alteration to the Creed with another equally unauthorized alteration to the Creed?  "Through the Son" may be better theology than "and from the Son", but neither was ever properly approved for use in the Creed.

And the "keeping up appearances" part:  Didn't the priest Eleazar show us in 2 Macabees that it's better just to be honest and avoid even the appearance of compromise?

Didn't know it was unauthorized.
PTA, eh....you lost me on the "keeping up appearances" thing... Embarrassed

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

Didn't know it was unauthorized.
The only authorized statement is that which was drafted in the original wording of the Creed and ratified by the second and subsequent ecumenical councils:  "I believe... in the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father [FULL STOP]."

PTA, eh....you lost me on the "keeping up appearances" thing... Embarrassed

2 Maccabees 6:18-28 (RSV)

Eleazar, one of the scribes in high position, a man now advanced in age and of noble presence, was being forced to open his mouth to eat swine's flesh.  But he, welcoming death with honor rather than life with pollution, went up to the the rack of his own accord, spitting out the flesh, as men ought to go who have the courage to refuse things that it is not right to taste, even for the natural love of life.

Those who were in charge of that unlawful sacrifice took the man aside, because of their long acquaintance with him, and privately urged him to bring meat of his own providing, proper for him to use, and pretend that he was eating the flesh of the sacrificial meal which had been commanded by the king, so that by doing this he might be saved from death, and be treated kindly on account of his old friendship with them.  But making a high resolve, worthy of his years and the dignity of his old age and the gray hairs which he had reached with distinction and his excellent life even from childhood, and moreover according to the holy God-given law, he declared himself quickly, telling them to send him to Hades.  "Such pretense is not worthy of our time of life," he said, "lest many of the young should suppose that Eleazar in his ninetieth year has gone over to an alien religion, and through my pretense, for the sake of living a brief moment longer, they should be led astray because of me, while I defile and disgrace my old age.  For even if for the present I should avoid the punishment of men, yet whether I live or die I shall not escape the hands of the Almighty.  Therefore, by manfully giving up my life now, I will show myself worthy of my old age and leave to the young a noble example of how to die a good death willingly and nobly for the revered and holy laws."

When he had said this, he went at once to the rack.

Why else would you want to say "THROUGH the Son" except to present the appearance (pretense) that you're reciting the Creed in the Roman way when you're actually not?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »

That's funny those Protestants would change the Lord's Prayer as it was given to us by Jesus Himself, seeing as how many Protestants are sola scriptura... Tongue
Many Protestants, especially evangelicals, also believe that the priesthood of all believers (an Orthodox idea) superseded a liturgical priesthood. Therefore, in their view, it would be correct to corporately recite the priest's part.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »

the Creed in ICEL English is presently worded in the first person plural ("We believe...") as opposed to the original first person singular.

Not that it really matters to this discussion, but the original wording was first person plural, and is still preserved that way in the OO Churches. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2008.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10855.0.html#top

http://www.maderafcc.org/churchfathers/ec.html#1

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »

Why else would you want to say "THROUGH the Son" except to present the appearance (pretense) that you're reciting the Creed in the Roman way when you're actually not?

I understand. It's like being a poser?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 12:04:52 AM »

If by "poser" (alt. "poseur"?) you mean a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not ("poser." WordNet® 3.0. Princeton University. 28 Aug. 2008. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poser>.), then yeah, it is like that. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:05:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »

Not that it really matters to this discussion, but the original wording was first person plural, and is still preserved that way in the OO Churches. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2008.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10855.0.html#top

http://www.maderafcc.org/churchfathers/ec.html#1

By "original" I was referring to the Latin "original" credo of the Creed in the Roman Ordo Missae from which the ICEL is supposed to be translating.  Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Yes.

PTA: I speak teenager. Grin

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »

The tangent on teenager-speak has been split off and moved to Other Topics:

I Speak Teenager.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:22:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: The Creed filioque 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: