OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex-Orthodox for Christ  (Read 3962 times) Average Rating: 0
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« on: August 12, 2003, 10:11:39 AM »

Has anyone else seen this site? The title, of course, is a good pointer as to what lies ahead, a tissue of untruths, half-truths and downright howlers. Here's a good one demonstrating the standard of scholarship:

'The Eastern Orthodox Church fosters the impression that the Orthodox Church of American is independent or "auto-encephalitic" (their term - not ours), without disclosing the fact that the Orthodox Church of America is little more than a rubber-stamp of the Greek Orthodox Church ruled as an Autarchy from Mt. Athos'.

The site claims to be 'under renovation' and boy does it need it!

Brigid

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 10:47:06 AM »

Their books (whatever these are) are published by Bluelight Publishing, which is a Masonic press!!

They seem to be some sort of KJV-only group, though I'll bet that when they get around to listing the KJV translators they will file the C. of E. serial numbers off them. Notable is the lack of any reference to any actual person who was Orthodox and now is not, which makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 10:58:29 AM by Keble » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 10:58:32 AM »

From their Eastern Orthodox Page:

The Eastern Orthodox Church fosters the concept that it is the Church of the Seven Councils, suggesting that it agrees with the first 6 historical worldwide Ecumnenical Church councils which took place in Early Church History. Yet the historical facts are clear: The Teachings of the 7th council - to which the Eastern Orthodox Church subscribes - are clear and direct contradictions to the teachings of the 6 Church Councils which preceeded the 7th.

Huh? Huh  I'm not sure if that site makes me want to laugh or cry.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Keble
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 11:01:30 AM »

Here's another stupidism from their site:
No, the oldest copies of the (supposed) septuagint are the following:

1. Codex Vaticanus - (known to even those scholars during the Reformation who rejected it as a corrupted manuscripts)

2. Codex Sinaiticus - this it the copy of the corrupt manuscript discovered by Constantin von Tischendorf, when he went to the Middle East to search for ancient manuscripts.

The only problem with this is that Sinaiticus and Vaticanus aren't LXX texts! They are New Testament texts. These people are clearly clueless.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 11:05:53 AM »

I got the feeling as I was skimming the site that perhaps a few, mostly theologically uneducated, ex-Orthodox decided to direct their zeal against their former Church, and went surfing the net looking for anything that they could even possibly use against their former Church. The site reminds me of the anti-Catholic sites that trot out the same anti-Catholic arguments but give no real though to whether they are even actually true. I mean, if they really believed what they are saying, that's something, but these people just seemed to have meshed everything together without a care as to what they were actually saying. Though of course they often add things like "the historical facts are clear" Sad

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 11:29:45 AM »

If these people were supposedly Orthodox in the past, then they certainly did not know anything about their FAITH!

This supposed "beliefs" of the EO on this page are RIDICULOUS!

C'mon! If you were previously Orthodox - how can you refer to the Eucharistic Host as a "(wafer)"  and "The Eastern Orthodox Church believes in communication with the Dead"

These are "Once Saved, Always Saved" kooks!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 11:34:42 AM »

The whole thing is poorly written and even more poorly documented. It will be a great boon to those persons predisposed to believe it.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Keble
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 11:36:18 AM »

I continue to doubt that this is actually a site of ex-Orthodox. THere don't appear to be any actual people behind this site.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 11:36:28 AM »

Tom, if they were writing from their current perspective, they might very well talk in the language/idiom of their current belief system. I sometimes refer to the Pope of Rome as claiming a "Universal Jurisdiction," for instance... which I realise that the Catholics wouldn't say, but which is something I say as an Orthodox looking "into" Catholicism. Also, I've met enough ex-Catholics who made clueless statements about the Catholic Church to believe that the same could be said for the Orthodox. Saint John Chrysostom and Gregory the Theologian decried the lack of knowledge among the laity in Constantinople in the 4th-5th centuries, I don't think we're necessarily any better off (we have more teaching resources, but less Saints among us).

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 11:40:31 AM »

Anyone ever listen to Skip Heitzig of Calvary Chapel.  He supposedly was Orthodox at one point, but to listen to him talk, he either bought his Chrismation through the mail, or is purposefully making things up to distort the faith.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 11:53:39 AM »

I continue to doubt that this is actually a site of ex-Orthodox. THere don't appear to be any actual people behind this site.

I get the same impression.

Where is the "Personal Testimony" page? You know, the part where the former "cultist" talks about the satanic group that led him astray and his own harrowing, personal experiences therein? Maybe I missed it. But that sort of thing is almost obligatory among believers in instantaneous salvation.

Can I get a witness?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 11:59:51 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 11:56:07 AM »

From their website:
"We have appreciated the work that we have seen on the Internet with groups and organizations that are standing up for the historic and true Protestant Faith, which is nothing more than what Real Christianity is."

The question is WHICH Protestant Faith???  Huh   How does one define the Protestant Faith when so many denominations conflict with each other over fundamental doctrines?  Which denominations are correct--the ones who believe in baptismal regeneration or the ones that don't?  The ones who believe in the Real Presence at the Lord's Supper, or the ones who say it's just a symbol?  The ones who believe in "once-saved-always-saved" or the ones that don't?  The ones who baptist infants or the ones who only baptize upon profession of faith?  

Logically, mutually exclusive propositions cannot both be true at the same time and in the same sense.  Therefore, how can one speak of an alleged monolithic Protestant faith?  As a Baptist, that's what I've been asking lately...

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 12:03:24 PM »

From the site:

About ExOrthodox for Christ (XOFC)

We are a Truth and Discernment ministry, or in other words a Watchman Ministry . Our goal is to warn the true church of Jesus Christ of the challenging times ahead and help prepare them for this time, to the best of our ability - and to help other ministries who are like minded. Our goal is to assist all interested believers in our sphere of influence in being rooted and grounded in the Bible, and in a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Originally, we were formed to respond to the claims of the Eastern Orthodox Church . That is still our main focus.

Notice it does NOT say that "we are an organization of ex-Orthodox that was formed ..."

« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 12:07:54 PM by TomS » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 12:07:22 PM »

At the bottom of the "Introducing XOFC" page I did find the name of one John Taylor, but there is no info given about this person.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 12:20:04 PM »

I stand corrected :-D

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

Thankfully it no longer exists. :-)

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »

Thankfully it no longer exists. :-)

hopefully he discovered the errors of his ways...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: