OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:57:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 200+ mph sports car also gets 200+ mpg  (Read 4467 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »

Pretty cool idea. I wonder if this "torque multiplication" idea can be replicated in other, more teacher-friendly vehicles?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1049151/The-sports-car-Venice-tank.html

This sleek machine is being hailed as the future of high-performance, eco-friendly motoring.

With an engine that runs on pure biodiesel, the Trident Iceni can do 2,000 miles on one tank of fuel - enough for a return trip to Venice from London.

Capable of topping 200mph, the car has been designed and manufactured by Phil Bevan, of Norwich-based firm Trident Performance Vehicles.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »

It is an interesting concept... I wonder how the chassis holds up in crash-tests (I bet poorly - partly because it's a sports car, partly because I don't think stainless steel has the same strength as normal high-strength auto steel (I'm open to correction on this last point, or any information to answer my general question of crash-testing strength).

I do applaud them for making the attempt.... Now to get the sales to the point where the cost can come down.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »

I can't speak for 'crash-test strength' but the tensile and shear strengths of stainless steel is greater than the respective strengths for conventional steel.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:09:18 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »

For some reason. I don't think the type of steel used will be the determining factor at 200+ mph. Cheesy

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »

For some reason. I don't think the type of steel used will be the determining factor at 200+ mph. Cheesy

Good point...not even titanium and kevlar would help you at those speeds. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

What's the point?  Most automobiles manufactured today can attain speeds close to 200MPH or above with some tweaking... But all safety equipment and frame durability is tested at reasonable speeds... Unless, of course, you're NASCAR.  Anything faster than 90MPH is at your own risk.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »

I can't speak for 'crash-test strength' but the tensile and shear strengths of stainless steel is greater than the respective strengths for conventional steel.

That's good to know.  Now, at least I can be sure in the knowledge that my knives and forks will survive a 200MPH crash better than the ones from WalMart. Cheesy

---------------------
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »

What's the point?  Most automobiles manufactured today can attain speeds close to 200MPH or above with some tweaking... But all safety equipment and frame durability is tested at reasonable speeds... Unless, of course, you're NASCAR.  Anything faster than 90MPH is at your own risk.

Everything is relative. If everybody is on the road with a Smart car. Than safety is not an issue. The problem comes when you stair down the throat of an eighteen wheeler. Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:16:52 AM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »

100 MPG is incredible. I wonder if us Greeks get together and corner the biofuel industry. All of that frenchfries oil could bring back the empire.  Cheesy

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »

In fact, the Delorean was made completely of stainless steel, but everyone knows it couldn't go faster than 88 mph.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »

In fact, the Delorean was made completely of stainless steel, but everyone knows it couldn't go faster than 88 mph.
You are mistaken. You must has never seen Back to the future. laugh

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:47:50 PM »

DeLorean had a GM engine making less than 100 HP.  I think power snuck up to 130 HP towards the end of the model run.  For all the sleek designing, the DeLorean was a very heavy car.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »

DeLorean had a GM engine making less than 100 HP.  I think power snuck up to 130 HP towards the end of the model run.  For all the sleek designing, the DeLorean was a very heavy car.
That wasn't unusual for the time period, actually. After the abolition of leaded gasoline, many sports cars had less than 100 hp, including the Camaro. It took until the nineties for cars to regain their horsepower using unleaded fuel.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »

That wasn't unusual for the time period, actually. After the abolition of leaded gasoline, many sports cars had less than 100 hp, including the Camaro. It took until the nineties for cars to regain their horsepower using unleaded fuel.
There are many exceptions. The cars built in Europe never were really effected. The 1986 Farrari Testarossa had 400 bhp back in 1986 and legal in the states.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:41 PM »

True, Europe had already been on unleaded fuel and lower emissions standards for years before the U.S. adopted the Clean Air Act, so Europe already had the technology the U.S. manufacturers had failed to invest in. In fact, this advantage may have been a contributing factor to why imports became so popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »

True, Europe had already been on unleaded fuel and lower emissions standards for years before the U.S. adopted the Clean Air Act, so Europe already had the technology the U.S. manufacturers had failed to invest in. In fact, this advantage may have been a contributing factor to why imports became so popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
I completely agree. I was able to out run my cousins 82 trans am on my bicycle for about half a block. Grin

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »

Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but why would you need to go 200+ miles per hour anyway?  People here can't even control a car at 45 mph. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »

Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but why would you need to go 200+ miles per hour anyway?  People here can't even control a car at 45 mph. 
I use to club race in my twenties and early thirties. The adrenalin after hitting the apex is unsurpassed by most hobbies. laugh

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »

It's not that you would, it's that you can. Grin

No, actually, I'm more excited about the horsepower. Usually the more horsepower a car has, the worse its fuel efficiency. I like that a car with massive horsepower can still be very fuel efficient. I'd like to see a 200hp car on a frame like your Focus's that got 100 mpg. Si se puede!

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »

I'd like to see a 200hp car on a frame like your Focus's that got 100 mpg. Si se puede!

There's a reason they don't make a Focus with 200hp.  An impact in that thing with that kind of power would leave little more than a greasy spot.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »

There's a reason they don't make a Focus with 200hp.  An impact in that thing with that kind of power would leave little more than a greasy spot.
Yeah, true. A lightweight car with that kind of power would really move, but I wouldn't want Ford to make it.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »

Diesel powered BMW's like the BMW 120d.  If only US Emissions would allow these cars to cross the pond.  50 MPG is still feasible with diesel at $4.50 a gallon.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »

nice

I hope they make electric cars this efficient.  At least at the end of a 1000 miles, one can take a long rest and charge for whatever it takes (hopefully just a couple of hours).

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »

Ah, But they do make a Ford Focus ST that puts out 225 hp and an RS that is 296 HP. The problem I believe is that they are only available in Europe. I wouldn't mind taking one to the track for a fun weekend. Wink

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »

^Presumably people in Europe are better drivers than those here, or at least I hope so! 

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »

^Presumably people in Europe are better drivers than those here, or at least I hope so! 

LoL, you haven't been to Italy have you?   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »

LoL, you haven't been to Italy have you?   laugh

Nope, but I've been to China where crossing a street is taking your life in your own hands.  Wink  Same thing?

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »

Nope, but I've been to China where crossing a street is taking your life in your own hands.  Wink  Same thing?

Pretty much.  Tongue

The I-can-go-through-a-red-light-as-long-as-I-lay-on-the-horn was a personal favourite to witness.   Cheesy

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:06 PM »

Pretty much.  Tongue

The I-can-go-through-a-red-light-as-long-as-I-lay-on-the-horn was a personal favourite to witness.   Cheesy

I'm surprised we don't get that here.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »

Same thing happens in Athens, Greece - obeying traffic control devices is optional.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

We don't? Wink

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »

We don't? Wink

No, not with as much courtesy as laying on the horn.  Springfield red light runners just act like they never saw you.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 08:34:52 PM »

^ Yeah, that's true.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: