OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:49:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seraphim Rose  (Read 1606 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: August 12, 2003, 08:51:15 AM »

Hey!

This one is for readers of Seraphim Rose's book "The Soul After Death."

I have read "Life After Death" by Metropolitan Hierotheos, but was wondering how the two differed.

I read reports that Rose was a bit gnostic in his explaination of tollhouses, but then again, I rather ask someone who has read both books and can offer their input.

Is it worth reading??

Bobby
Daniel AJ

Holy Prophet Daniel, pray unto God for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 07:26:30 PM »

Bobby,

I've read "The Soul After Death"  many years ago, and don't remember all the particular's of the book.  From what I remember, it was interesting, to say the least.

Since Orthodoxy doesn't give a clear (black-and-white) view of the afterlife, as Catholicism tends to do (Indulgences, Purgatory, etc.) it's interesting to read many of the Orthodox books on the afterlife because no-two are exactly the same.

Here's another one you might find interesting, it's published by Jordanville, but you can get it from Light-n-life publishing:

"Eternal Mysteries Beyond the Grave"

It has some interesting stories of appearances of the departed to relatives/friends after their death, and all the stories are set in Old Russia.

Have a super day!!
Dan

t0m_dR

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 06:31:24 AM »

Hey!

This one is for readers of Seraphim Rose's book "The Soul After Death."

I have read "Life After Death" by Metropolitan Hierotheos, but was wondering how the two differed.

I read reports that Rose was a bit gnostic in his explaination of tollhouses, but then again, I rather ask someone who has read both books and can offer their input.

Is it worth reading??

Bobby

Hi Bobby!

I've read both books, and i think that when you read both you have a complete image about the Orthodox teaching on the Afterlife.

I think that ft. Rose focuses more on the fact of the tollhouses, and also on NDEs (Near Death Experiences)

I have a friend that translated it and published it in Greek a few months ago. It's a best seller. Both books are excelent, and you can read them both, because they cover different areas of the topic.

You could also try the book, The River of Fire at : http://www.zephyr.gr/stjohn/per-rive.htm

Once you are there, you might want to read the book "Against False union", by the same author. You will find it here: http://www.zephyr.gr/stjohn/per-agai.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 06:35:21 AM by t0m_dR » Logged

Tags: Fr. Seraphim Rose 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: