OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons of Jesus  (Read 1766 times) Average Rating: 0
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »

What are the three "Symbols" in the ring around his head? Why are they split into 3, to show that he is the Godhead?

Why does Jesus in alot of these icons have a red shirt, a gold stripe on the left and in a blue robe sort of thing? As pictured below:

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »

What are the three "Symbols" in the ring around his head? Why are they split into 3, to show that he is the Godhead?

They literally translate into english as "The Existing One" and come from the name of God that was given to Moses at the burning bush. They proclaim Christ to be the great "I Am" as the Second Person of the Trinity.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »

Thanks for that

Any idea on the color choices? Like the single gold band, the red and blue robes?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:25:52 AM by Dnarmist » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »

The halo (or nimbus) is divided into three parts also to invoke the shape of the cross (the fourth part being obscured by the head, but implied).

The Blue/Red combination speaks of his divinity and humanity. He is both God (blue) and Man (red).

Interestingly, the Mother of God is depicted with red and blue also, but reversed, with red outside and blue inside. This reinforces that God was within her flesh.

I don't know about the gold band though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:50:49 AM by bogdan » Logged
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:55 AM »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the gold band/sash is a symbol of His priesthood? 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:54 AM »

The halo (or nimbus) is divided into three parts also to invoke the shape of the cross (the fourth part being obscured by the head, but implied)

You could say his neck represents that fourth part. If we took the three parts as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit...and they all point to His head...the Godhead. I think that's a neat observation.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the gold band/sash is a symbol of His priesthood? 
I had heard that the gold band signifies His royalty as King of kings and Lord of lords.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »

I've actually never heard a definitive explanation behind the gold band.

Of course, my favorite icon of Christ isn't the Pantocrator or Teacher icons, but the Great High Priest icons:

He is robed in majesty!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
myrrhbear

Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

May I aslo add, that as s a student of iconography I was taught that: Christ always has a cross in his halo and the letters for  “I Am”, or "The One Who Is". His inner garment shows His inner being, that is, a red (human)+ violet (heavenly father)= the ground pigment of hematite, which is also interestingly called bloodstone. His mission is shown by his outer garment, a green + dark blue =a deep aquamarine indicating his mission is to deify humanity, to bring us all to theosis. The golden sash is a sign of royalty. Hope that helps!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »

Of course, my favorite icon of Christ isn't the Pantocrator or Teacher icons, but the Great High Priest icons:

He is robed in majesty!

This is one of my favorites, too. I always look forward to services in the chapel, because there is one of these on the iconostasis in there.   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »

What is the flag attached to biro's profile?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »

He is robed in majesty!

This is one of my favorites, too. I always look forward to services in the chapel, because there is one of these on the iconostasis in there.   angel

Would someone be kind enough to explain some of the representations on this icon?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »

The four Evangelists

Angel = Matthew (also Jesus as Man)
Lion = Mark (also Jesus as King)
Ox = Luke (also Jesus as a Sacrifice)
Eagle = John (also Jesus as Ressurection/Spirit)

These are the four living creatures which surround God's throne in Rev 4:7

Before the nut gallery cues in allow me to also give some sources. These sources do not exactly agree but here goes:
St. Irenaeus of Lyons  (ca. 120-202 AD) Adversus Haereses

St. Augustine of Hippo  (354-430 AD)  -  De consensu evangelistarum

St. Jerome (ca. 347-420 AD) - Preface to the Commentary on Matthew

St Jerome is the most influential of the three on this topic and is taken to be Church Tradition.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:25:22 AM by Dart » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »

Thank you, Dart.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: