OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:20:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Icon of Fr. Seraphim Rose  (Read 3479 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: August 25, 2008, 05:18:57 AM »

A new Icon of Fr. Seraphim Rose has been written:

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

It would be wonderful for Fr. Seraphim Rose to be glorified. We need a saint in this day and age. Glory to God.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:39:23 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, this image was commissioned two or three years ago with the blessing of Abp. (now Metropolitan) Hilarion of Australia and New Zealand.

Pardon the pedantry, but it is not strictly correct to refer to such an image as an icon. Images such as these, painted of people who have not yet been "officially" glorified (without a halo, and with the title "Blessed", rather than "Saint") are not uncommon, but they really should be called iconographic-style portraits, not icons.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

Pardon the pedantry, but it is not strictly correct to refer to such an image as an icon.
I'm not sure that this is correct. "Icon" simply means "Image".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »

It would be wonderful for Fr. Seraphim Rose to be glorified. We need a saint in this day and age. Glory to God.
Having an icon written is a good step toward it, as is his being the subject of a fairly sizable cult. I hope to see a new St. Seraphim beatified very soon (very soon being in the Orthodox world within about a hundred years).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, this image was commissioned two or three years ago with the blessing of Abp. (now Metropolitan) Hilarion of Australia and New Zealand.

Pardon the pedantry, but it is not strictly correct to refer to such an image as an icon. Images such as these, painted of people who have not yet been "officially" glorified (without a halo, and with the title "Blessed", rather than "Saint") are not uncommon, but they really should be called iconographic-style portraits, not icons.

What do you mean by 'officially'? Isn't Orthodox Saints recognize organically by the people?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »

St. Nekatrios died in 1920 and was made a saint in 1961.

If Blessed Seraphim Rose was on the same caliber of holiness as St. Nektarios, he will become a saint in the same order of time.  The following excerpt is from the Ionian Village website.

In this bed lay a paralytic, who once the undershirt landed upon him, was instantly healed and jumped out of bed praising God for his miraculous healing. This was the first of many miracles that St. Nektarios began to perform in death. The stories of these miracles, along with his body remaining completely in tact and emanating a magnificent fragrance for twenty years after his death, led the nuns at the monastery to venerate him as a Saint of the Church. Finally, in April of 1961, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople further blessed St. Nektarios with a proclamation of Sainthood.
Tags: Fr. Seraphim Rose icons saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: