OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:41:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine Catholic vs. Orthodox I am sure someone has talked about thie.  (Read 1268 times) Average Rating: 0
johnmac

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: August 24, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »

Hello,

I am a Byzantine Catholic and I attend a very small byzantine mission in my city. Where sadly sometime only two or three people attend.

Anyways, I have asked the priest where I can learn more about my faith ie spirituality, fasting, Icons ETC.

Most of what I am told to do is use Orthodox tools ie Orthodox Way ETC. I have also been told to attend Orthodox Vespers and the such which really does not make sense to me since I am Byzantine Catholic. Would a Baptist go to a Methodist service? I do not know. I have do a little research on my faith and have learn if my ancestors came from eastern Ukraine insteed of the west I might very well be Orthodox.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »

Welcome to the Forum! Very good questions.

I come from a Pentecostal background rather than a Catholic one, so I know very little of the variations within Catholicism. I do know, however, that there are many posters here who are knowledgeable about your religion and Ukrainian history and would be glad to help.

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around.

YtterbiumAnalyst
Orthodox-Protestant Section Moderator

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »

Hello,

I am a Byzantine Catholic and I attend a very small byzantine mission in my city. Where sadly sometime only two or three people attend.

Anyways, I have asked the priest where I can learn more about my faith ie spirituality, fasting, Icons ETC.

Most of what I am told to do is use Orthodox tools ie Orthodox Way ETC. I have also been told to attend Orthodox Vespers and the such which really does not make sense to me since I am Byzantine Catholic. Would a Baptist go to a Methodist service? I do not know. I have do a little research on my faith and have learn if my ancestors came from eastern Ukraine insteed of the west I might very well be Orthodox.

Welcome John!  Why don't you just start by asking questions which I'm sure we will be glad to answer.  You are already very perceptive in your analysis. 

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

Feel free to fire questions away.  Some of us here know what and about Ruthenian Byzantine Catholicism.

So what led you to the mission in the first place? 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:27:42 PM by username! » Logged

johnmac

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »

I am Byzantine Catholic and this was a mission in my city that I recently found out about. Before then I have been going to Roman Mass and sometimes a Orthodox liturgy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: