OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:32:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest's prayer at absolution  (Read 4372 times) Average Rating: 0
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »

I think that's what I'm looking for, anyway.  I'm usually sort of keyed up after my confessions and I catch only parts of the priest's prayer.  I think it goes something like this: "receive the confession of this your precious child..." something something something.  It actually might be the prayer at the beginning!  Does anyone know the actual words?

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »

You could try watching this GOA Video on Sacrament of Confession except you need Real Player on your computer.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:38:41 AM »

This prayer won't be found in any Greek sources if you are in an OCA parish since it was something introduced by Peter Mogila. It exist in several book but I don't think any of them are online. I think it can be found in the Antiochian Service Book, the Little Red Prayer Book, and the Hapgood.

Joseph
Cassiel

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »

Thanks!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »

Thanks!

I'll look at the Hapgood tomorrow if I get a chance and see if I can't help you out here.

Isabella Hapgood translated the Russian Orthodox service books from Church Slavonic into English and published it what, oh 1906ish if memory serves me correct.
http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ANTHAPGOO-01  link to see what we are talking about.

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ANTHAPGOO-01 --- the red prayer book

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:20:56 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »

Cassiel I had a superbly wonderful yet busy day today.  I had the Hapgood in hand but alas I didn't have the time to write the prayer down.  Give me a few days and I'll have that prayer for you unless you find it online.

Cassiel

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

Thanks username! - I haven't found it yet.  The red prayer book is Antiochian (at least the one I think we're talking about) so the words aren't the same.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »

Thanks username! - I haven't found it yet.  The red prayer book is Antiochian (at least the one I think we're talking about) so the words aren't the same.

Ok, hang in there!!  You could always ask your priest what it is?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:34:27 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

Ok, hang in there!!  You could always ask your priest what it is?

Cassiel I have the prayer, I don't have time right now but I'll type it out when I get back home today/tonight.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »

While the Penitent is waiting for the Priest to his or her confession the Penitent says, quietly, the Trisagion Prayers and Psalm 50 if there is time, and then he or she says aloud:

Penitent:  I have sinned, O Lord: forgive me.  I God, be merciful to me a sinner and forgive me.

When the Penitent's turn comes he or she goes forward and stands in the proper place before the Gospel Book and the Cross, which is before the Icon of Christ, and says aloud:

Penitent:  O Father, Lord heaven and earth, I confess to Thee all the hidden and open sins of my heart and mind, which I have committed unto this present day.  Therefore, I bed of Thee, the righteous and compassionate Judge, remission of sins and grace to sin no more.

here is the prayer

Priest:  Behold, my child, Christ standeth here invisibly, and receiveth thy confession:  Wherefore, be not ashamed, neither afraid, and conceal nothing from me: but tell me, doubting nothing, all things which thous has done, and so shalt thou have pardon from our Lord Jesus Christ.  Lo, His Holy image is before us and I am but a witness, bearing testimony before Him of all things which thou doest say to me.  But if thou shalt conceal anything from me, thou shalt have the greater sin.  Take heed, therefore, lest, having come to the Physician, thou depart unhealed.

The Priest, at this point, gently and respectfully questions the Penitent concerinng his or she sins.  Then the priest shares his genuine and loving and heartfelt, and possibly stern, pastoral concern and direction to the Penitent.  The Penitent receives this admonishment knowing the these pastoral words come from the Good Shepard, Jesus Christ, Himself.

Priest:  O Lord God, the salvation of Thy servants, gracious, bountiful and long-suffering, Who repentest thee concerning our evil deeds, and desirest no the death of a sinner but rather that he should turn away from his wickedness and live:  Show Thy mercy now upon Thy servant, N., and grant unto him (her) every transgression, whether voluntary or involuntary.  Reconcile and unite him (her) unto They holy Church, through Jesus Christ our Lord and to Him belongs all dominion and majesty, now and ever and unto ages of ages.  Amen.

Then the Priest add this prayer, making the sign of the Cross over the Penitents head,saying:

May our Lord and God Jesus Christ, through the grace and bounties of His love towards mankind, forgive thee, my child, N., all they transgressions.  And I, His unworthy priest, through the power given unto me by Him do forgive and absolve thee from all they sins, in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

The Priest now gives his blessing to the Penitent

May Christ our true God, through the prayers of the Holy Theotokos, and of all the Saints, have mercy upon us and save us, for He is good and loveth mankind.  Amen

This is from the Hapgood.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:47:25 PM by username! » Logged

Cassiel

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

Thanks!  That's very close to what I have heard in confession.  I didn't know about the prior prayers either, so that was helpful.  A reader chants the prayers before sleep as we wait in the confessional line after Vespers, along with Ps. 50, so I have gotten those prayers in unwittingly for the most part.

Tags: Hapgood rite of confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: