OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 08:06:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt 16:19 in Greek - how to interpret it?  (Read 1899 times)
Bartosz

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« on: August 19, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »

και δωσω σοι τας κλεις της βασιλειας των ουρανων και ο εαν δησης επι της γης εσται δεδεμενον εν τοις ουρανοις και ο εαν λυσης επι της γης εσται λελυμενον εν τοις ουρανοις
(Matthew 16:19, Byzantine/Majority Text)

In this verse our Lord promised two things to St Peter: (1) that this Aposole would get the keys of Haven and (2) that whatever he would bind on earth would be bound in Heaven etc. But how these two promises relate one to another? Are they separate or the 2nd results from the 1st? Linguistic arguments would be very helpfull as well as quotes from the Church Fathers.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

Linguistic arguments would be very helpfull as well as quotes from the Church Fathers.

For many of both, grab yourself a copy of The Primacy of Peter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0881411256

Short summaries related to your questions are available in the reviews.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Bartosz

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:51:18 AM »

Thak you for the link. The book seems very interesting and I'll try to get a copy. But for this moment I don't want to go so deep into details. I'd just like to know, if from Matt 16:19 we can conclude that the power of binding and loosing on earth and in Heaven was a result of having that keys and therefore, logically, the keys were also possessed by other Apostoles, due to Matt 18:18? Or maybe other way round: the keys and binding/loosing were unrelated, and therefore the keys were only in possesion of St Peter? I know all these are only metaphors but very meaningful.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: