OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:29:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Many residents of Tskhinvali saw the Holy Virgin during the shelling  (Read 4518 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: August 19, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »

From Interfax -

Many residents of Tskhinvali saw the Holy Virgin during the shelling

============

Many residents of Tskhinvali saw the Holy Virgin during the shelling, the local bishop claims

Moscow, August 19, Interfax - Many residents of Tskhinvali saw the Holy Virgin during the most violent battles, Bishop Georgy (Pukhate), head of the Alania Diocese acting in the territory of South Ossetia and not recognized in the Orthodox world.

"She was seen in long garments. She mournfully passed along the streets. She was seen in the evening and at night in places of most violent and cruel battles. Militiamen realized, the Holy Virgin didn't leave the city to save it from total destruction. She came to help us," Bishop Georgy said in his interview published on Tuesday by electronic paper Utro.ru

He confessed that when some residents told him they had seen the Holy Virgin on the first war days, he "yielded to a temptation" and decided that people "were hallucinating from fear and horror."

"But when many residents and policemen from various parts of the city described the same phenomenon, it couldn't be a hallucination," Bishop Georgy said.

The Alanian Diocese was established in South Ossetia in 2005. The Diocese is subordinated to "Synod in Resistance" of the so-called True Orthodox Church of Greece.

===========

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »

Sorry, not trying to deny a miracle took place but why can't these "Synod in Resistance" people just go away? I mean, if they don't deny the grace of the canonical church and believe in "ONE Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church), then according to the canons (which they also supposedly believe in) they are schismatic.

NULL
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »

Sorry, not trying to deny a miracle took place but why can't these "Synod in Resistance" people just go away? I mean, if they don't deny the grace of the canonical church and believe in "ONE Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church), then according to the canons (which they also supposedly believe in) they are schismatic.

What does this have to do with the article at hand?  It is irrelevant whether a Synod in Resistance bishop wrote it or not, the important thing is that the Theotokos may very well be appearing to assure all those who are being persecuted of Her protection.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:51:03 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »

Drewmeister,

Is it your Church to which the Alanian Diocese in the article belongs?  If so, have you heard anything about the miracle at your own parish?  Did anyone mention it on Sunday?  That would be quite a touching miracle to happen there in Ossetia during this difficult time over there.

Most Holy Mother of God, pray for those affected by the war!

Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »

Drewmeister,

Is it your Church to which the Alanian Diocese in the article belongs?  If so, have you heard anything about the miracle at your own parish?  Did anyone mention it on Sunday?  That would be quite a touching miracle to happen there in Ossetia during this difficult time over there.

Agreed.

She aids all Her servants who are in need.

Most Holy Theotokos save us

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »

Drewmeister,

No, the Alania Diocese doesn't belong to my Church, they belong to another Old Calendarist jurisdiction in Greece called the Synod in Resistance which has some missionary dioceses outside of Greece Smiley (I am part of the Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece under Abp. Chrysostomos II).  It doesn't look like the miracle has even hit the website of the Synod in Resistance yet, but I imagine it may soon.  May She protect all of the persecuted Orthodox Christians in the area!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:50:19 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

"Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »

O Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

While I don't agree with the Synod in Resistance, your argument is more than a little simplistic.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

Fatima comes to South Ossetia - Theotokos appeared to the "True" Orthodox Christians just as Fatima appeared to the 3 Portuguese Catholic children and thousands of other Catholics.  What does that make the rest of us who aren't "True" Orthodox Christians?

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »

What does that make the rest of us who aren't "True" Orthodox Christians?

It makes us not nearly as persecuted, war-torn, and distressed as the Ossetians.  The Mother of God cares for the weary and distressed.  She is a Mother to orphans and Helper to those who are helpless.  The Ossetians have been through two invasions, bombings, having to leave their homes and, according to some reports, it all started with attempts by the Georgian military to ethnically cleanse them.  And this all happened within the last two weeks.  I don't think the Holy Mother is going to care whether these people are on the old or new calendar, or whether they have a patriarch or synod or whatever.  In the dark nights, as bombs rained down on them, exploding and killing their loved ones, they were calling out for her comfort and now she is giving it to them.

Nowhere in the article did it say that the Mother of God appeared only to people of the Old Calendar Church.  It says rather that many people over there had seen her, and my understanding is that most of the people over there are Russian Orthodox.  Let's wait to see if more details come in about this.  It may be mass hysteria, but I wouldn't be surprised if it really happened.  I don't see the parallel between this and Fatima.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 12:53:08 AM »

I don't see the parallel between this and Fatima.

Fatima appeared during WW I.  The situation in South Ossetia could trigger WW IV (counting the Cold War as WW III).  The Theotokos appearing in South Ossetia signifies the absurdity of inter-Orthodox conflict between Russia, Georgia and South Ossetia.   Embarrassed

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 12:56:30 AM »

O.K. I get your point.  Forgive me for misunderstanding you.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 01:01:33 AM »

O.K. I get your point.  Forgive me for misunderstanding you.

We're good.  Smiley
Forgive me if I upset you in any way.   Wink
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 03:23:09 AM »

Fatima appeared during WW I.  The situation in South Ossetia could trigger WW IV (counting the Cold War as WW III).  The Theotokos appearing in South Ossetia signifies the absurdity of inter-Orthodox conflict between Russia, Georgia and South Ossetia.   Embarrassed

Even though I'm not yet Orthodox, I don't think we should use Fatima as a legitimate example, since the vision of the Virgin at that time was asking people to pray to some "Immaculate Heart". Just my opinion... Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 04:56:43 AM »

Even though I'm not yet Orthodox, I don't think we should use Fatima as a legitimate example, since the vision of the Virgin at that time was asking people to pray to some "Immaculate Heart". Just my opinion... Smiley

i definitely agree why would a orthodox christian bring  that up of all thing's ....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »

i definitely agree why would a orthodox christian bring  that up of all thing's ....

Why not?  Especially when these visions are being reported by members of the "True" Orthodox Church with a mission church in South Ossetia.

People have had fun beating up Roman Catholicism for the past 25 years.  People are now discovering something which has continued to exist after being beaten up for 2,000 years.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »

^^ Myrrh23, the scandals of the Roman Catholic Church during the last 25 years have resulted in major financial and spiritual damage.  Hinduism hasn't had the same scandals as Roman Catholicism or any other Chrisitan faith.  Fatima was used to predict WW I, WW II and Communism - major geopolitical events.  My comments also implied that the Orthodox Church is now on the bullseye of people who think they can destroy her once and for all because the resolve of her adherents has been weakened by secularism (e.g. young people not attending Church, interfaith marriage, etc.)

^ Stashko, my point isn't the educational level of those who saw the Theotokos or what the Theotokos preached to the people who saw her.  My point is given the timing of this inter-Orthodox military exercise, why would the Theotokos appear to a schismatic Orthodox Jurisdiction calling itself "True" Orthodox Christians.  If the Theotokos doesn't appear to members of the Church of Georgia or the Moscow Patriarchate, are they "False" Orthodox Christians?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »

what you call schismatic is still orthodox same faith same believe i would attend it if i had no choice..regular people don't know the difference or care anyway all they know it's orthodox,,,when the serbs split for a while pro patriarch or free serbian west i went to both same faith same beliefs.In the mean time while we were split we build some beautiful Byzantine churches all over the place it worked out just great .. eastern orthodox christianity when it part's its not because of different beliefs in faith but   what calender is used and what bishops are over it that want to be more traditional,,but still orthodox belief is the same...so i will attend anyone of them....SmileyCentral.com" border="0other than a greek orthodox church with a organ or any orthodox church that has organ's....i barely tolerate the pew's...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:47:16 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »

While I don't agree with the Synod in Resistance, your argument is more than a little simplistic.

Maybe a little simplistic but true none the less.

NULL
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »

what you call schismatic is still orthodox same faith same believe i would attend it if i had no choice..regular people don't know the difference or care anyway

I care and I would know the difference.

all they know it's orthodox,,,when the serbs split for a while pro patriarch or free serbian west i went to both same faith same beliefs.

The GOA was split between Royalist and non-Royalist factions in the 1920's - that absurdity lasted just a handful of years.

In the mean time while we were split we build some beautiful Byzantine churches all over the place it worked out just great .. eastern orthodox christianity when it part's its not because of different beliefs in faith but   what calender is used and what bishops are over it that want to be more traditional,,but still orthodox belief is the same...so i will attend anyone of them.... other than a greek orthodox church with a organ or any orthodox church that has organ's....i barely tolerate the pew's...

Mark 13:21-23 (KJV)
21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not: 22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. 23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

Fatima and these visions of the Theotokos in South Ossetia fit the above passage.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »

^ Stashko, my point isn't the educational level of those who saw the Theotokos or what the Theotokos preached to the people who saw her.  My point is given the timing of this inter-Orthodox military exercise, why would the Theotokos appear to a schismatic Orthodox Jurisdiction calling itself "True" Orthodox Christians.  If the Theotokos doesn't appear to members of the Church of Georgia or the Moscow Patriarchate, are they "False" Orthodox Christians?
You're assuming, though, that because the bishop cited in the article is a bishop of the "schismatic" Synod in Resistance, that all the people who saw this supposed Marian apparition are under his pastoral jurisdiction.  The article doesn't say this; it just says that many residents in Tskhinvali reported seeing the Theotokos.  It's just as likely that these residents could also be Georgian Orthodox and not of Bishop Georgy's flock--a possibility when you consider that His Grace is, after all, a "schismatic" bishop who probably does not recognize the canonical authority of the local church and doesn't see himself as a competing bishop.  An event like a public apparition of the Theotokos could very easily arouse enough public conversation and rumor-mongering for Bishop Georgy to hear of this even in the town square from people outside his own church.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:33:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

Please keep this thread on topic.  Mentioning Fatima as strictly another apparition is acceptable, but discussion about Roman Catholic theology/doctrine/dogma does not belong in this thread.

If you wish to continue discussing Fatima, please click here.

If you wish to continue discussing the Divine Mercy devotion, please click here.

Thank you.

-- Friul

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »

You're assuming, though, that because the bishop cited in the article is a bishop of the "schismatic" Synod in Resistance, that all the people who saw this supposed Marian apparition are under his pastoral jurisdiction.  The article doesn't say this; it just says that many residents in Tskhinvali reported seeing the Theotokos.  It's just as likely that these residents could also be Georgian Orthodox and not of Bishop Georgy's flock--a possibility when you consider that His Grace is, after all, a "schismatic" bishop who probably does not recognize the canonical authority of the local church and doesn't see himself as a competing bishop.  An event like a public apparition of the Theotokos could very easily arouse enough public conversation and rumor-mongering for Bishop Georgy to hear of this even in the town square from people outside his own church.

I agree with you except that Bishop Gregory had no business speaking with the media who may (or may not) have an ax to grind with the Orthodox Churches in Georgia and Russia.  South Ossetia didn't invade anyone - the Georgians did one thing and the Russians did another thing where both actions are contrary to Orthodox Christian praxis.  Reporting a vision of the Theotokos has the potential of generating another Fatima-like spectacle.  The article would lead someone not aware of the issues behind Bishop Gregory's jurisdiction to believe that Bishop Gregory was a "True" Orthodox Christian with more legitimacy than he really has in light of the inter-Orthodox battle between Georgia and Russia.

Corrected Moscow with Georgia
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:42:24 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »

I agree with you except that Bishop Gregory had no business speaking with the media who may (or may not) have an ax to grind with the Orthodox Churches in Georgia and Russia.
This is certainly a legitimate opinion to hold, but it is merely your opinion, a non sequitur relative to the issues I raised, and no justification for your allegation that the reported Tskhinvali Apparition matches the biblical definition of a false vision.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »

This is certainly a legitimate opinion to hold, but it is merely your opinion, a non sequitur relative to the issues I raised, and no justification for your allegation that the reported Tskhinvali Apparition matches the biblical definition of a false vision.

I addressed the issues you raised by agreeing with them.   Smiley

I took the point of view that a conveniently timed vision of the Theotokos could help attract disgruntled Orthodox to Bishop Gregory's flock given His involvement in the "True" Orthodox Church.  I only used Fatima to draw a parallel analogy to conveniently timed or placed apparitions.  I never called the visions in Tskhinvali False other than to say that if the Theotokos appeared to "True" Orthodox Christians (canonical or not), what about those who didn't see any apparitions?

My apologies if I sounded like the Boy Who Cried Wolf although I stand by Mark 13:22 where the sheep are vulnerable to anyone.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »

21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not: 22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. 23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

Fatima and these visions of the Theotokos in South Ossetia fit the above passage.

That's why I don't believe in ANY apparitions.

Love never fails.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 01:29:45 AM »

That's why I don't believe in ANY apparitions.

So the foot print of the Theotokos in Pochaev is just a fake or really some Ukrainian peasant women's?

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »

What about all the instances from the Lives of the Saints & other Orthodox stories of appearances of Saints?
Tags: Theotokos Ossetia Georgia apparitions 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: