OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion fast from Saturday Great Vespers/Vigil?  (Read 591 times) Average Rating: 0
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »

An off-hand comment by a fellow parishioner piqued my interest...

A very pious, observant middle-aged Orthodox fellow (raised in the US, if that matters any) made an off-hand comment to me about racing me to the coffeepot after Liturgy as he's thirsty since fasting since Vespers. We'd been joking about what we needed more after Liturgy, caffeine or food?

How common is this? I've not had a chance to ask him further about it. You don't eat after Great Vespers/Vigil on Saturday evening, beginning the communion fast then, rather than at midnight.

I don't know if I've ever encountered this before.

Thanks!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:46:12 PM »

I don't know anyone who fasts from water from Vespers, but I do know of some people who fast from food from Vespers onward, and we are certainly encouraged not to be gorging ourselves right up until 11:59 pm anyway.  It's certainly a pious practice to fast from food from Vespers on, but I am not aware of it being commonly practiced.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »

As with many Orthodox practices I've come across several variations on this (more online than anything else). For some it's no food after Vespers, for others it's no meat after noon, for still others it's no meat for the three days prior to Communion with the full fast starting after Vigil, but I think everyone I know just does the midnight (though not gorging ourselves). But then I also hear that the Orthodox in Lebanon don't count coffee as part of the Sunday morning fast.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »

This is in a parish where pretty much every one communes weekly.

I figured it was a "small o" pious tradition.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »

With the blessing of my Spiritual Father, Elder Patermuthios of the Springfield Caves, I fast from the mid-third hour on Saturday.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »

With the blessing of my Spiritual Father, Elder Patermuthios of the Springfield Caves, I fast from the mid-third hour on Saturday.

I defended your approach before, but it is kind of getting old. The poster asked a question, but did not make any demands or presuppositions. She does not deserve a mocking response.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:20:00 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:58 AM »

Our priest has counseled us to fast from Saturday midnight on, but to eat lenten (if anything is eaten) after Vespers. 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »

I defended your approach before, but it is kind of getting old. The poster asked a question, but did not make any demands or presuppositions. She does not deserve a mocking response.

Father,

I understand your concern here, but I just have to say I appreciate augustin's brilliant one-liners. Really they are often inside baseball, so I don't think they would harm anyone new, just seem odd (maybe he has scandalized others in the past, I dunno). And if not new, then the sense of humor I hope would be appreciated.

Again. It was a literal laugh out loud.

And the message I get from him is not take myself, at least, too seriously.

For the little it is worth.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »

An off-hand comment by a fellow parishioner piqued my interest...

A very pious, observant middle-aged Orthodox fellow (raised in the US, if that matters any) made an off-hand comment to me about racing me to the coffeepot after Liturgy as he's thirsty since fasting since Vespers. We'd been joking about what we needed more after Liturgy, caffeine or food?

How common is this? I've not had a chance to ask him further about it. You don't eat after Great Vespers/Vigil on Saturday evening, beginning the communion fast then, rather than at midnight.

I don't know if I've ever encountered this before.

Thanks!

I think the basic rule is not to eat or drink anything after midnight.  I'll have tea, in the evening, after I come back from Vespers and try to drink enough water as I don't want to be dehydrated and distracted from praying, during Liturgy.  But, there are those who don't take anything after Vespers and that is good too, if the person can do it.  As an aside, we have Trapeza after Liturgy, during the Fall and Winter seasons and we always make sure a pot of coffee is ready for us.  After the Trapeza blessing, we grab a cup.  Smiley

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »

Father,

I understand your concern here, but I just have to say I appreciate augustin's brilliant one-liners. Really they are often inside baseball, so I don't think they would harm anyone new, just seem odd (maybe he has scandalized others in the past, I dunno). And if not new, then the sense of humor I hope would be appreciated.

Again. It was a literal laugh out loud.

And the message I get from him is not take myself, at least, too seriously.

For the little it is worth.

God bless you!

I can appreciate Augustin's approach in some cases.  I think some of his criticism of American Orthodoxy is right, and I agree that sometimes it is funny.  However, I don't always think it's appropriate, and sometimes I think it takes the tone of mockery.  I would hope that he would exercise some restraint in the future in cases where people are just asking an honest question.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: