OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:17:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man Takes in Registered Sex Offenders  (Read 2342 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: August 16, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »

I heard this man speak on NPR today, and I found his story quite compelling. He believes that it is our duty to have compassion on those who have been convicted of crimes as though we ourselves were incarcerated. For that reason, he has taken in three registered sex offenders to live with him. He believes that such people are usually shunned because of their past actions and are not often given a fair chance to change their ways.

His bold actions have had me thinking all evening. This man shows kindness like few I've ever seen--and the bonus? He's a politician.

Listen to the story online here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93644097.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:21:02 AM »

I'm fine with it, just so long as the politician does not have kids, and as long as the pervs wear their little electronic ankle jewelry.

Also, it feels like the politician is waving off the actions of these people as just being "crazy, stupid mistakes". Spraying graffiti on a building counts as a "crazy, stupid mistake". Streaking at a football game is a "crazy, stupid mistake". Raping little kids and Saturday Night dates aren't just lousy "crazy, stupid mistakes"---it's an anti-social, demonic thing to do to force yourself on what amounts to a temple of the Holy Spirit: the human body and mind. These people are not like lost little puppies in a wet alleyway. They're people who have ripped away the innocence of others for their own sick pleasure and desire of domination. Angry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:23:35 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:36:14 AM »

In some states having sex as a minor can get you registered as a sex offender, in most places having sex with a 17 year old will get you registered as a sex offender. Oh, and your streaking at a football game might just do that as well.

In the end, the whole system is a joke, one would have to be an idiot to take the sex offender registry seriously.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:02 AM »

In the end, the whole system is a joke, one would have to be an idiot to take the sex offender registry seriously.

Even though I'm probably asking for trouble replying back to you, GIC, I will say that I disagree with you. All of our systems have holes in them, but that doesn't mean the system itself is a joke. If some 17-year-old is sleeping with another 17-year-old and is in danger of the Registry, then he should fight to have the law altered so others don't have to have their legs broken by "The System". I have to wonder if people fight to change laws because somewhere they realize we are our brother's keeper.
There are going to be mistakes, but overall, I feel that the sex offender registry is doing something good. If someone feels they've been slighted, that's what lawyers are for.
Besides, I wonder if these strict laws haven't taught some of you to know more than 50% who you're sleeping with. The only idiots are those stupid enough not to pay more attention to that.  Besides, I would think you'd appreciate thinning the herd anyways. Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:29:23 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

In some states having sex as a minor can get you registered as a sex offender, in most places having sex with a 17 year old will get you registered as a sex offender. Oh, and your streaking at a football game might just do that as well.

Good point. The term "sex offender" is taken very seriously, even though most "sex offenses" are actually non-violent misdemeanors.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »

Even though I'm probably asking for trouble replying back to you, GIC, I will say that I disagree with you. All of our systems have holes in them, but that doesn't mean the system itself is a joke. If some 17-year-old is sleeping with another 17-year-old and is in danger of the Registry, then he should fight to have the law altered so others don't have to have their legs broken by "The System". I have to wonder if people fight to change laws because somewhere they realize we are our brother's keeper.
There are going to be mistakes, but overall, I feel that the sex offender registry is doing something good. If someone feels they've been slighted, that's what lawyers are for.
Besides, I wonder if these strict laws haven't taught some of you to know more than 50% who you're sleeping with. The only idiots are those stupid enough not to pay more attention to that.

The system itself very often is a joke, too often are convictions handed out based on the preponderance of the evidence rather than the legal requirement of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Some of the things that get people registered as a sex offender in some states arn't even acts that I would consider wrong, the very fact that they are prosecuted turns the entire system into a joke. By some estimates the false conviction rate for death row inmates, which are scrutinized far more heavily than most convictions, is as high ast 10...it wouldn't surprise me at all if a quarter of the people convicted of 'sex offences' are innocent of any wrongdoing. The system is a joke and those who would take it too seriously and insist on a willful ignorance of the reality of the situation are probably far more dangerous to society than the people on the sex offender list.

Perhaps we can get a list of those people to be publish? We can call them the Outer Party Members of Oceania...it would really help when going through employment applications.

Besides, I would think you'd appreciate thinning the herd anyways. Wink

That's what IQ tests are for.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »

It would interesting to know exactly what these three sex-offenders are guilty of, the bar being pretty low on that crime now (not that I''m complaining).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:04:48 AM »

In Maine, if a 17 year old and a 20 year old both have consensual sex in college, the 20 year old is considered a sex offender. So I agree with GiC on this.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:42 AM »

Legal discussions are not necessarily "politics" and they are germaine to the article.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »

There is a man that does the same thing here. I believe that everyone deserves a home.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

Legal discussions are not necessarily "politics" and they are germaine to the article.
Yes, but eugenics is not.

Discussion of eugenics has been moved to the following thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17115.0.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:44:18 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:41:30 PM »

Yes, but eugenics is not.

Yes, listed on the GOAA site as a social issue.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

Yes, listed on the GOAA site as a social issue.
At any rate, GIC's tangent has a new home where it belongs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:45:41 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

From Simayan:
In Maine, if a 17 year old and a 20 year old both have consensual sex in college, the 20 year old is considered a sex offender. So I agree with GiC on this.

That just means the Sex Offender laws we have here aren't completely fair or reasonable, but that doesn't mean the sex offender registry system is a joke. Again, if someone feels slighted, then they should fight legality in the courtroom, where all changes to laws have occured.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »

From Simayan:
That just means the Sex Offender laws we have here aren't completely fair or reasonable, but that doesn't mean the sex offender registry system is a joke. Again, if someone feels slighted, then they should fight legality in the courtroom, where all changes to laws have occured.

And if we see an injustice occuring, we should not go along with it simply because it is imposed by the law or the state. And those who would judge people based on the sex offender registry are doing just that and they themselves are just as guilty as the state in perpetrating injustice.

Yes, the system needs to change, but at the same time we have a moral responsibility to oppose an injust system, whether we're capable of changing it or not.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:22:46 AM »

And if we see an injustice occuring, we should not go along with it simply because it is imposed by the law or the state. And those who would judge people based on the sex offender registry are doing just that and they themselves are just as guilty as the state in perpetrating injustice.

Yes, the system needs to change, but at the same time we have a moral responsibility to oppose an injust system, whether we're capable of changing it or not.

The Sex Offender Registry is not without it's convictional details. You're right in that we shouldn't judge people just because they're on this registry, but if I see, say, a conviction for a 49-year-old man against someone aged 14-16, even if it was "consensual", I feel the guy deserves the Scarlet Letter, evolutionary tendencies aside or whatever.
How are we judging unrighteously those that have such legitimate offenses against them? The National Database makes a difference between Rape and Statutory Rape. I also believe you're right in that if the sex is consensual between people close in age, they shouldn't be screwed by this system, but people on the outside of it are not completely in the dark about the details of their convictions. Smiley However, I do see that people immediately jump the gun when they hear so-and-so is on the sex offender registry, and people need to be educated against such black and white behavior. Yeah, yeah, I immediately jumped the gun when I first responded to Ytter's thread, so.... Embarrassed Grin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:29:24 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

The Sex Offender Registry is not without it's convictional details. You're right in that we shouldn't judge people just because they're on this registry, but if I see, say, a conviction for a 49-year-old man against someone aged 14-16, even if it was "consensual", I feel the guy deserves the Scarlet Letter, evolutionary tendencies aside or whatever.
How are we judging unrighteously those that have such legitimate offenses against them? The National Database makes a difference between Rape and Statutory Rape.

Evolutionary tendencies b.s. Male sperm starts to degenerate after a certain age which seems to raise the probablity of certain birth defects. These older guys need to keep their pants zipped up or else. Most young teenaged girls are either seduced by these losers or forced to have sex with them against their will. I have no pity for these men. I feel the same way about women who have seduced teenaged boys. These folks are not right in the head.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

From Simayan:
A minor point here: the changes are actually made in the legislative chamber. All the courts can do is make rulings based on the established laws, with the exception of the Supreme Court, which can question the constitutionality of a particular law. But even they cannot change a law, only make one void based on the already established Constitution.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:06:20 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »

Thanks, Ytter! Didn't know that.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »

^ No problem at all.

Tags: compassion forgiveness 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: