OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crocodile tears  (Read 5272 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: August 15, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »

I've noticed that our 9 month old daughter has starting this crying thing lately.  When she wants attention she starts crying big crocodile tears and does a high-pitched scream with it.  She'll stop immediately if I pick her up and it's like nothing ever happened.  I'm trying to train her away from wanting to be picked up at her every whim and I don't want her to think pitching a hissy fit is going to be rewarded.  I'd hate to think she's becoming the dreaded spoiled child.  She does this despite being fed, changed, comfortable, entertained, when I'm sitting right next to her on the floor, etc. 

I'm teaching her sign language so she can communicate instead of crying for everything, but it's a slow process and she's just now at a stage where she has enough motor control to form signs.  Is this just her way of expressing frustration about not being able to communicate or something else?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:48:40 PM »

Sounds like growing pains - maybe teething or just plain bored.   Smiley
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

Maybe so.  She has been teething lately and going through a growth spurt.  The crying doesn't seem to be related to any specific symptom, though, just a way to get my attention.  She cries like it's the end of the world if I walk past her and don't pick her up or if I leave the room.  She has terrible separation anxiety right now and maybe that's all it is... it's just frustrating to hear the screams and tears when it turns out to be nothing at all.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:57 PM »

Do you have a Cradle Swing that Caitlin can occupy herself with?

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »

Do you have a Cradle Swing that Caitlin can occupy herself with?

She's pretty much outgrown the swing now.  She's crawling and pulling up now, and very close to taking her first steps.  You can hear the joints in the swing creak so I'm thinking she's a little too heavy for it these days!  LOL

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

They grow oh so fast - big cliche but true.   Wink

Maybe the time has come to challenge Caitlin with Toddler Toys.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »

Perhaps so. Tongue

jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »

Don't worry about spoiling Caitlin at the age of nine months...she is still a baby for goodness sake!  Most likely she is going through separation anxiety.  When she is truly hurt and cries it sounds oh so different.  Right now this behavior is what she does to cope with her feelings.  I agree with SolEX01 that an introduction to new and more challenging toys may help.  God bless you in your patience.

ps. Wait till Caitlin turns 2yr. old!  Get ready. ha.

:)Juliana

x
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »

Thanks, Juliana.  I hate thinking of it as a discipline issue when she's so young!  Surely she's not consciously trying to manipulate us.  Or else she's a smart little weasel and we're in big trouble.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »

I would say it is a little of both. She is testing the waters to see how high she can get you to jump, completely natural. If you are sitting right next to her, then she should come to you rather than you getting her since she can crawl. That could be a problem in the future if you have another baby in the next year or so.

You could get a sling and carry her around the house with you. Eventually she will find that going about the house while you are doing mundane tasks is MUCH less fun than playing with her toys. It is a phase, it will pass. And it by no means means she is spoiled. But don't feel like you can't say things like; "You don't need to fuss, I can't hold you right now because I am doing "x, why don't you play with you toys." And in also helps in general to hold a running dialogue with her throughout the day talking to her about what you are doing and such. It makes you feel like you are your own narrator for a reality TV show, but it helps with language skills and security.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »

^LOL... I wondered if anyone else did their own narrating as they do laundry.  "Wow, these two white socks match!"  *Fanfare*

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »

Yeah, the real problem arises when mommy goes out on her own and narrates to a child that isn't with her. I looked like an absolute idiot; (excitedly exclaims while on a bus) "Look! An airplane!" Everyone looked at me like I was "touched in the head."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 07:52:40 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »

The mommy sway is also permanent. You will forever sway from side to side when standing in lines and such.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »

I don't think it's too early to have Caitlin learn the meaning of no. Let's face it children, like pets, are potential despots. Grin They use all manner of means to manipulate and from a very early age. I had one who cried (screamed actually) about being put down for a nap; though obviously she was in dire need of the sleep, just as much as her mother was in need of the break. I found that firmly and lovingly ignoring her tears and tantrums and continuing with what I knew had to be done was the best way to disabuse her of any impression that she was in control. Within a week she had got the message that I would leave her to cry herself to sleep. The tears soon stopped and she went down for a nap much more happily. It's actually better to get the issue of just who is running things out of the way very early on.  I must admit, however, that I haven't been quite so successful with convincing my cat that he isn't the centre of my universe.  Angry

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 01:27:46 AM »

Whatever happened to those days when you could calm her with the hair dryer, eh, EofK? Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:36:30 AM »

Sounds like she's just growing and probably learning so much she may be expressing it this way.  Think about how fast babies grow and how much they learn basically all at once.  My nephew is 9 months.  He is kind of going through the same thing.  He likes to be picked up and carried WAY too much.  This is to the point of if he's not content in front of a play thing with doo-dads and what nots for him to play or if he isn't in his walker (although he is going to be walking any day) he'll just scream bloody murder until someone picks him up.   It's a phase.  Perhaps the first, second or third by now of the 101,000 phases to come!!

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »

Whatever happened to those days when you could calm her with the hair dryer, eh, EofK? Wink

If only that worked!  She hates loud sounds like that... you'd think hearing us playing Guitar Hero all the time would have cured her of that!

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

It's a phase.  Perhaps the first, second or third by now of the 101,000 phases to come!!

You're right.  I have to keep assuring myself that she won't still be doing this when she's 20 years old.  Or she sure as heck better not be!

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 10:36:29 PM »

I hate it when she cries as soon as you lay her down to change her. I'm always ready for you to come running and tell me to quit tormenting your baby! Tongue

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »

Yeah, what is the deal with the child crying when you change their dirty diaper?!  I mean, we should all have it so nice to be fed on demand, held and have our bottoms wiped and carried around like royalty! Ha!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:17 AM »

^I know it!  I think her problem with diaper changes is that she's too busy to lie still long enough.  Don't worry, she screams bloody murder when I change her too.  I have to distract her with all manner of silly songs, rubber ducks, nibbling her toes, etc.  And when that fails, I call in Mr. Y to hold her down long enough to get her changed.  She loves to roll over and try to crawl off the table these days.

The key to diaper changes, we've figured out, is to change her as quickly as possible before she gets bored and God help you if you have to change her clothes, too.  Then it's End of the World Time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:08:50 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »

Our time has indeed come.  Miss Caitlin is now squarely into throwing temper tantrums, complete with throwing herself on the floor, screaming, and pushing us away.  Any suggestions from those experienced in toddler hysterics? 

So far I've tried to encourage her to tell me what she wants and if she insists on melting down, I just let her scream it out without giving into whatever it was she wanted (within reason... I won't withhold food or drink or anything like that). 

Tags: discipline crying development tantrums 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: