OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Georgian Orthodox Church  (Read 3896 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 15, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »

If this isn't the right forum for this topic, dear moderators, please feel free to move it!

I would love to learn more about the Georgian Orthodox Church. As I understand, it is an extremely ancient church. What distinctives does the Georgian Church have? Is it  more like one of the OO churches in doctrine, or is it EO?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »

If this isn't the right forum for this topic, dear moderators, please feel free to move it!

I would love to learn more about the Georgian Orthodox Church. As I understand, it is an extremely ancient church. What distinctives does the Georgian Church have? Is it  more like one of the OO churches in doctrine, or is it EO?

The Georgian Orthodox Church is EO.  It was founded by St Nina in either the second or third century. It is one of the oldest Christian churches.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:56:39 AM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »

It's EO. Here are some nice pictures:

http://www.voyagegeorgie.com/Home_fichiers/Pictures_Georgia_Caucasus.htm

History:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_Orthodox_Church

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »

Thanks! The pictures are beautiful! Someone had told me the Geogians were monophysite, and so I had wondered. I'm hoping to find some Georgian spiritual music on youtube. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »

Someone had told me the Geogians were monophysite, and so I had wondered.
Monophysite as in the Eutychian heretics, or miaphysite as in the Oriental Orthodox?  There is a difference.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »

http://www.patriarchate.ge/_en/

This could give you more information also.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »

Thanks! The pictures are beautiful! Someone had told me the Geogians were monophysite, and so I had wondered. I'm hoping to find some Georgian spiritual music on youtube. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNHM1jtvbA

Se also related videos (links on the right hand side of your screen.)

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »

Thanks! Somewhere in the depths of this link:  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?p=2057371

it says that the Georgian Church used to be miaphysite, but became EO. Interesting. I haven't read the thread I linked above properly yet, though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:17:30 PM by Rosehip » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »

Thanks! Somewhere in the depths of this link:  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?p=2057371

it says that the Georgian Church used to be miaphysite, but became EO. Interesting. I haven't read the thread I linked above properly yet, though.

That is true, but you'll not readily find that fact on their official website.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 03:20:11 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16969.msg246839.html#new

The book in the above link documents how the Georgians went from rejecting Chalcedon to accepting it.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »

Here's another good video, about Patriarch Ilia II. Very good singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htXCOJuhm5I&feature=related

Love never fails.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »

Wasn't Mary once chosen to go to Georgia, but then that changed?
Jean-Serge

Jurisdiction: GOC-CII

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:04:22 AM »

The Theotokos was given Georgia as her "land". So he visited Saint Nino in a dream telling her to go to Georgia. When Saint Nino woke up, he find in her hand a cross (that can still be venerated today).
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

I think the Come Recieve the Light podcast had an episode about St. Nina, if anyone is interested.

Many Years to Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II and the Holy Church in Georgia!
St. Nina and all saints of Georgia, pray for us!

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:52:32 PM »

One of the interesting distinctives of the Georgian church is the use of an ancient polyphonic (triphonic) chant, rather different from anything else in the EO or OO traditions.

The Georgian church has an interesting doctrinal history. In the aftermath of Chalcedon, it at first remained in full communion with its neighbor Armenian church, even after the Armenian church had explicitly rejected Chalcedon in about ~500. The Georgian church, however, for some reason I do not yet understand, decided in about ~600 to shift to the side of support for Chalcedon, and since that time it has been an Eastern Orthodox church rather than an Oriental Orthodox church.

The Georgian church is one of the few EO churches that is not derived from the Patriarchate of Constantinople (as Russia, Serbia, Romania, etc. are), but rather from the Patriarchate of Antioch.

It is one of the oldest autocephalous churches, having been granted full independence in the late 5th century from the Patriarchate of Antioch.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »

Someone had told me the Geogians were monophysite, and so I had wondered.

The Georgians, being in full communion with the Non-Chalcedonian Armenian church in the 6th century, were technically Oriental Orthodox during this period, ending in the early 7th century.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ativan
Elder

Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 05:39:08 AM »

I'm sorry but there are some mistakes about Georgian Orthodox Church. Information presented here is at least quite different then our own Holy Tradition says. I'll point out some errors at this point: Georgian church was not established by 13 Syrian fathers (all of whom are considered great saints of Georgia). They can't be anti-Chalcedonian. How "anti-Chalcedonian" Saint Shio (who was one of the 13 Syrian fathers) can be recognized as a Eastern Orthodox Saint?

Secondly, Georgian Church was established in the begging of 4th century by The great saint equal-to-apostles saint Nino. But in actuality Christianity was spread in Georgia (iberia) while Christianity started to form. There's a famous Holy tradition that says after some time apostles and Most Holy Theotokos cast a lot who would teach the way and in what countries. The cas for Georgia fell on Most Holy Theotokos. She was ready to travel to Georgia, but an Angel delivered message to her that God did not want to her to go there for now since her days were nearing. So Christ directed her to sand 2 apostles Andrew the first-called and  Simon Canaanite. These two went to Georgia and first taught Christianity there. Later Mattathias (who was chosen instead of Judas Iscariot) went to preach in Georgia. In fact 2 of them (Simon Canaanite and Mattathias) are buried in Georgia per our Holy tradition. By the way, Before 2 apostles went to Georgia Most Holy Theotokos took a piece of wood, put it in front of her Most Holy face and her image was miraculously transferred to the wood. So the Icon, not-made-by-hand, of Most Holy Theotokos was created and she sent it with the apostles. This icon is still in Georgia (At least that is what our tradition says). Here's the image of the icon:

For those who are intrested in Georgian chants, Below are some of the youtube links:
Sacred Cherubic Hymn
Christ has risen
You are th grapevine
Lord Have Mercy
Lord come to me

The last chant (Lord come to me) is composed by his Holiness Patriarch Ilia II

God bless us all
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 05:45:44 AM »

Movie about the life of St. Nina

http://www.stninofilm.com/

and trailer on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_TYHJEGDQ

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags: Georgian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: