OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paraklesis Services  (Read 2861 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: August 08, 2003, 03:37:14 PM »

I have looked at  OCA and ROCOR churches and they don't seem to do the Supplication to the Theotokos (Paraklesis) services on M/W/F evenings during this fast period like the GOA does.

Anyone know why?

http://www.goarch.org/en/resources/prayers/services/paraklesis.asp
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 03:51:32 PM by TomS » Logged
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 04:13:57 PM »

The only reason I can think of, Tom, is that the Paraklis Service during the Dormition Fast seems to be more of a Greek rather than a Russian practice.  I usually go to the local Greek Orthodox Cathedral during the fast to attend one of the Paraklis services there on a Friday evening, and, lo and behold! I am surprised to see quite a few other parishioners from my OCA church there also.  Grin

There are a few OCA churches where the Paraklis (Paraklesis) has caught on, however, and they have increased in popularity in some, but not many, OCA parishes.  Some of the parishes of the OCA's Albanian Archdiocese especially have *always* had the custom of conducting Paraklesis during the Dormition Lent.  And, I assume you know, that the Paraklis Service does not have to be restricted solely to the Fast of the Theotokos.

Btw, I have the "Paraklesis, The Mother of Light" on CD as chanted by Eikona.  Excellent!   Smiley

Hypo-Ortho
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 04:20:01 PM »

I think I found the answer: TRADITION

"August in Constantinople was a month of disease and pestilence and so it was the custom to carry the True Cross in procession through all the quarters of the City during the first two weeks of the month.

The office for the first of the month still commemorates this practice, as does the solemn blessing of Holy Water, which is performed in many churches on that day, although it is the normal Orthodox custom to do so on the first of every month.

In Greek use it is the custom to sing the Office of Supplication to the Mother of God each evening during the first fortnight of August. This may well be a survival of the ancient practice in an adapted form."

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ephrem/lit-parak.htm
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 04:21:20 PM by TomS » Logged
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 04:33:49 PM »

Great info, Tom, thanks.  

But rather than calling it Tradition with a capital "T," I'd prefer to think of it as more of a local custom or practice with a small "t."  It's like how the Greek and Russian practices differ for the frequency of chanting the Akathist Hymn to the Theotokos on the Fridays of Great Lent.  The Greeks chant it every Friday evening of the Great Fast in segments, while the Slavs, especially the Russians, chant the whole thing with Matins on the eve of Akathistos Saturday.

Hypo-Ortho
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 04:49:34 PM »

But rather than calling it Tradition with a capital "T," I'd prefer to think of it as more of a local custom or practice with a small "t."

I just used all caps to set it off from the preceeding. Not to signify connotation.
Athanasius

Place Personal Text Here

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 12:43:45 AM »

My Church is Antiochian and we did the Paraklesis every night during Dormition.

Athanasius

God became man that man might become God-St. Athanasius
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 01:23:11 PM »

Antiochians (and the Melkite Catholics, for that matter) follow, fairly closely, the Greek use.  The Slav and Balkan churches don't serve the Paraklesis during the Theotokos Fast -- just not a part of the tradition.  Another difference is that the Greek use typically serves the Akathist Hymn on the first five friday evenings of Great Lent, while the Slav churches only do it on the fifth friday.

b

B
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 02:35:32 PM »

Actually it is appointed on that Saturday as part of Matins.  It can be and is sometimes anticipated.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 10:21:16 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

The Paraklesis Services are also served in the Antiochian Orthodox Churches in English for the most part.

The Slavic churches ( I came to Antioch after being in ROCOR for about 6 years and erving as a Subdeacon) make more frequent uses of Akathist Services on both a personal and Congragational level than do the Greek and Antiochian Churches. As my Antiochian Priest has said, there is nothing against the frequent use of the Akathists to the Virgin Mary, The Sweet Name of the Lord Jesus, or the Akathists to Saints, however they are not normally used  in the Antiochian  or Greek traditions.

My family and I still use the Akathists regularly in our home worship and in our house chapel.  I strongly recommend if you can afford it to The Book of Akathists put out by the ROCOR church presses in Jordanville.  I find personally that the use of the Akathists helps small children prepare for the legnthy periods of time they need to stand during  standard orthodox services.  THey adapt quickly to the repition of the Akathists and quickly can participate in the service actively.

Your brother in Christ,
Thomas Smiley

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: