OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 12:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genesis, Adam and the generations after...  (Read 867 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 16, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

I've been reading Genesis (probably for the 10 millionth time) and was reading the Orthodox commentary on it.

I also had read about the Jewish interpretations of how long ago it was and what they base their dates on. As a former Protestant, I also remember believing in the dates both literally and not literally.

However a statement caught my eye:

"This passage focuses on the genealogy of Christ and the reality of death and decay in the grave"

This passage therefore, may not have been put in the scriptures for the purpose of historical accuracy or dating, but to show Christ's genealogy (which would be pointed out in the New Testament). Thus would it not have been necessary to put ALL the fathers and sons in there? But rather put some so that his genealogy could be accurately traced/displayed?

Example... I was able to trace one branch of my ancestry back to the 1300s... However why would I have to list all the many ancestors leading to then, rather, could you just list some and still have an accurate list of your genealogy?

If this is so, then why is it necessary for us to try and directly trace the age of things through the numbers in Genesis? If humans indeed did exist over 200,000 years ago. Then why would the writer of Genesis list ALL the human ancestors from 200,000 years (assuming that may be when Adam was created) to the days of Noah?

However my goal here is NOT to detirmine the age of humans or the age of earth, as IMO that is not something that is important for us to know. But I'm just trying to see if my interpretation is correct.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:57:14 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »

This passage therefore, may not have been put in the scriptures for the purpose of historical accuracy or dating, but to show Christ's genealogy (which would be pointed out in the New Testament). Thus would it not have been necessary to put ALL the fathers and sons in there? But rather put some so that his genealogy could be accurately traced/displayed?

Yes, it's not necessary to put all the "fathers and sons" in, because the aim is simply to show that someone is a descendant of Jewish ancestry. Using your own example  of your family tree which you have traced back to the 1300's, say for argument's sake that your ancestors in th 14th century were Danes, you would say that you are of Danish descent; however, it is taken as given that you 13th century ancestors were Danes- you haven't "proved" it by drawing up their own genealogical tree.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »

Recall that Noah and His family were the only survivors of the flood and the descendants of the Covenant came through Shem (who obeyed and remained loyal to Noah) rather than Ham (father of Canaan) since Shem and Japheth didn't see Noah's nakedness.

Genesis mentions the righteous Patriarchs between Adam and Noah to set up Christ being the literal Son of God and the new Adam.

The icon of the Resurrection shows some of those descendants of Christ like the noble Abel, Kings David & Solomon, Noah and Adam & Eve.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »

why is it necessary for us to try and directly trace the age of things through the numbers in Genesis?

If you ask me, I'll plainly say, "it isn't." The Bible is ripe with allegories, symbolism and mythology. There is no deed, nor there ever was one, to use it as a textbook of history or, broadly, as a source of factual material.

Love never fails.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »

If you ask me, I'll plainly say, "it isn't." The Bible is ripe with allegories, symbolism and mythology. There is no deed, nor there ever was one, to use it as a textbook of history or, broadly, as a source of factual material.

Brother I used to think like that but I believe there is a danger in this type of mindset. I now don't take a position and just say read genesis for what it is teaching instead of saying 100% allegory or 100% true.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »

Example... I was able to trace one branch of my ancestry back to the 1300s... However why would I have to list all the many ancestors leading to then, rather, could you just list some and still have an accurate list of your genealogy?

As a hobby genealogist, no you can't. Wink

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags: Genesis genealogy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: