OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can EO confess to an OO priest?  (Read 1736 times) Average Rating: 0
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: August 13, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

Sorry if I don't have this question in the right section, I didn't know where to put it since it covers both EO and OO Churches and needs perspective from both sides. Feel free to move it if need be.

Anyways, I've heard and read par all the EO/OO agreements that we are united in "everything but the Eucharist"...so does that mean an EO person can go to an OO for Confession, and not be excommunicated from his/her respective Church? Maybe excomunicate is a harsh word, but I just want to know if it's allowed and approved, or do you need "special" permission.

Does anyone know the answer to this? Thank you....
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »

I would talk to an EO priest about it.  I suspect that for it to be proper, you would need permission.

drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

Sorry if I don't have this question in the right section, I didn't know where to put it since it covers both EO and OO Churches and needs perspective from both sides. Feel free to move it if need be.

Anyways, I've heard and read par all the EO/OO agreements that we are united in "everything but the Eucharist"...so does that mean an EO person can go to an OO for Confession, and not be excommunicated from his/her respective Church? Maybe excomunicate is a harsh word, but I just want to know if it's allowed and approved, or do you need "special" permission.

No, you may not receive any mystery including confession outside of the Eastern Orthodox Church. 

The other question I have to ask, if I may, is that I take it you are Eastern Orthodox.  Why do you want to go to confession in an OO church?  Why do you feel the need to go elsewhere when the Eastern Orthodox can provide you with the mystery of confession?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:46:50 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »

It would depend. If you were going to an area that was exclusively OO, then an EO could get permission from his bishop to confess, and vice versa. I know that the Ethiopian OOs in our parish have a special arrangement between their OO bishop and our EO one to participate in all of the sacraments, including communion.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »

Welcome!

Just as a note; if we are not united in the Eucarist than what is it that unites us?

Baptism, Confirmation, Unction.....?

If we are not one in Christ body then we are all lost.

As for your question. Please feel free to confess to a priest in any Orthodox community. We are One Church.

If a priest in an EO says you sinned for confessing to an OO priest that except that and ask his forgiveness. This is same the other way as well.

If you are guided again to confess to an OO priest do it. But this time include the EO priest in the confession. This goes both ways. Let both know what has driven you and ask them both for guidance.

Follow the result to the 't' as they say.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »

No, you may not receive any mystery including confession outside of the Eastern Orthodox Church. 

The other question I have to ask, if I may, is that I take it you are Eastern Orthodox.  Why do you want to go to confession in an OO church?  Why do you feel the need to go elsewhere when the Eastern Orthodox can provide you with the mystery of confession?

It's personal and I'd prefer not to answer in detail if that's ok. Let's just say it has to do with trust issues, and leave it at that.

NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »

Welcome!

Just as a note; if we are not united in the Eucarist than what is it that unites us?

I don't know, I'm not a Church politician, you'd have to ask someone who is! Cheesy

That's just the phrasing I've heard par the agreements about Chalcedon signed over the last 30's years. Don't know exactly what it means myself. Wink

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

The "agreements" are not official - for either OO or EO, but recommendations only.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »

The "agreements" are not official - for either OO or EO, but recommendations only.

Ok, thank you! I appreciate the replies, and is kind of what I figured!

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »

Politics ..... it makes us one in Christ. 

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: