OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign of the Cross  (Read 1849 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: June 14, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »

While it is clear to me how Western Christians and the Eastern Orthodox make the sign of the cross, the same is not the case with the Oriental Orthodox churches. So how is it done in the various traditions of Oriental Orthodoxy?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »

I went to an Armenian church this morning and their liturgy book instructed to make the sign of the cross exactly the same way as the Greeks to the exception that it be done left-right rather than right-left, and this appeared to be the way the congregation was doing it. Is this how it is in general in the Armenian church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:49:14 PM »

I went to an Armenian church this morning and their liturgy book instructed to make the sign of the cross exactly the same way as the Greeks to the exception that it be done left-right rather than right-left, and this appeared to be the way the congregation was doing it. Is this how it is in general in the Armenian church?

That's typical for all OOs I believe.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

I think that is pretty much right.  The Ethiopians seem to do something a little more complicated with their fingers though.  This is discussed here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3671.0.html

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:30 AM »

The Armenians, the Copts and the Syriac Christians make the sign of the cross in the same way. The only difference is that the Armenians and the Syriacs after making the sign of the cross, on the word 'Amen' ('In the name of the Father and the Son... Amen') put their open palm on the chest, while the Copts don't have that last movement.
Dan-Romania
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:58:57 AM »

The Armenians, the Copts and the Syriac Christians make the sign of the cross in the same way. The only difference is that the Armenians and the Syriacs after making the sign of the cross, on the word 'Amen' ('In the name of the Father and the Son... Amen') put their open palm on the chest, while the Copts don't have that last movement.

That is the same way I`m doing it, from the side of my father`s family we make the sign of the cross like that.

"I believe because it is impossible"
vasnTearn

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »

But perhaps only with one difference, you make the sign of the cross with the right to left movement, as the other Eastern Orthodox do, while we do it from left to right. Or am I mistaken?
Dan-Romania
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:54:46 AM »

yes i`m doing it from right to left , with right hand , first at the head , than on the lower , than right , than left and than with the open palm on my chest ; i`m doing the cross both with the palm on the chest and without it; but this is they way I do the sign of the cross.

"I believe because it is impossible"
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:54 PM »

Copts tend to kiss their hands afterwards, similar to Roman Catholic practice.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »

Catholics of Spanish descent do that. They form a Cross with their thumb and index finger. The index finger is bent 90 degrees and the thumb placed righ over it; forming a Cross. So, they are essentially kissing the Cross.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »

I've also seen Assyrians kiss their hand after making the sign of the Cross but they do it right to left like the Eastern Orthodox do.

I think Ethiopians do it with two fingers kind of like how Russian Old Believers do the Cross if I'm not mistaken.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »

I have always been curious as to how others crossed themselves, and have learned that even some Protestants do it, too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:03:52 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
vasnTearn

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:03:11 AM »

Really? I haven't seen such a thing done by the Copts. I know they kiss their hand in some special way then make some outward movement with it when they say 'Nashkur Rabbena' (let us thank our Lord) during the Divine Liturgy or at other occasions too when they say that expression. But this is what I myself have seen. Maybe in different places there are different customs?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:06:15 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »

I've also seen Assyrians kiss their hand after making the sign of the Cross but they do it right to left like the Eastern Orthodox do.

When you say "Assyrians", do you mean those of the Assyrian Church of the East, those of the Syriac Orthodox Church, or both?

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »

When you say "Assyrians", do you mean those of the Assyrian Church of the East, those of the Syriac Orthodox Church, or both?

I was referring to the people of the Assyrian Church of the East.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »

I was referring to the people of the Assyrian Church of the East.

Oh, ok.

Tags: sign of the Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: