OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 12:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings all!  (Read 5923 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox Wannabe

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« on: May 31, 2008, 02:30:41 AM »

Hello I am a newbie I have popped in now and then over the past month to look around and thought I would sign up. Here is my story. I am RC but as of the past 1 year and 7 months I have taken an interest in Orthodoxy. I was attending divine liturgy at a small mission and just as I was about to take the conversion plunge, the Priest retired and we have now been without a Priest for 7 months and we won't be getting one anytime soon. Angry As you can imagine this is very aggravating. I just don't know what to do on Sundays anymore as there is no divine liturgy.

Well that is my short intro.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:32:05 AM »

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties! Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 02:49:12 AM »

Thank you. Yes it is very frustrating. I felt that after lots of issues with the Modern Roman Catholic Church (mostly liturgy and certain Papal claims that aren't historical) I finaly found THE Church then boom!!, no more Church. In Montana here there is a Greek Orthodox Church north of where I live that hasn't had a Priest in 7 years. I am hoping that won't be my case as I am in College in Missoula and won't be able to move for at least 5 years. The other closest one is a BEAUTIFUL Serbian Church in Butte but it is 3 hours away.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 03:20:18 AM »

Thank you. Yes it is very frustrating. I felt that after lots of issues with the Modern Roman Catholic Church (mostly liturgy and certain Papal claims that aren't historical) I finaly found THE Church then boom!!, no more Church. In Montana here there is a Greek Orthodox Church north of where I live that hasn't had a Priest in 7 years. I am hoping that won't be my case as I am in College in Missoula and won't be able to move for at least 5 years. The other closest one is a BEAUTIFUL Serbian Church in Butte but it is 3 hours away.

Missoula MT? There is an OCA mission parish in Helena MT.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

Hello I am a newbie I have popped in now and then over the past month to look around and thought I would sign up. Here is my story. I am RC but as of the past 1 year and 7 months I have taken an interest in Orthodoxy. I was attending divine liturgy at a small mission and just as I was about to take the conversion plunge, the Priest retired and we have now been without a Priest for 7 months and we won't be getting one anytime soon. Angry As you can imagine this is very aggravating. I just don't know what to do on Sundays anymore as there is no divine liturgy.

I remember when the Exon Valdez disaster happened and the government offered to bring in psychologists for the town nearby.  They said they wanted a priest: they hadn't have one in I don't remember how many decades.  Such things are common in Alaska, the Natives preserving Orthodoxy without benefit of clergy for decades.

The government actually did provide transport, and a priest, an OCA bishop (of Alaska?) did come.  On approach the helicopter was caught in a wind (a common problem) and crashed.  There was a lot of commotion until the bishop emerged unscathed by the crash, and blessed the assembled.

The Antiochean Archdiocese, in planning parishes, is trying to make it that one is not unnecessarily too close to another Orthodox church.  The idea is that eventually no one will be more than an hour's way from a parish, of whatever jurisdiction (hopefully by the time it is realized, there won't be jurisdictions).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »

Greetings from a Montanan-in-exile.  Smiley  Is the Greek parish you mentioned Sts. Constantine and Helen in Great Falls? 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »

Missoula MT? There is an OCA mission parish in Helena MT.

Errm. just to give some idea, it's roughly 115 miles from Missoula to Helena and the road goes over the Continental Divide on Macdonald Pass.  It's a good road (the last I was on it a couple of years ago) and Montanans are used to traveling to get places.  But it's not like back East where the next town is not that far away, there are lots of roads (and traffic) and there's plenty of houses and people along the way.  And there isn't that much public transport or bus lines between towns.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »

Welcome OW!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:53:08 AM »

The Antiochean Archdiocese, in planning parishes, is trying to make it that one is not unnecessarily too close to another Orthodox church.  The idea is that eventually no one will be more than an hour's way from a parish, of whatever jurisdiction (hopefully by the time it is realized, there won't be jurisdictions).

That's interesting, but there are places like Montana and other parts of the West (as well as other areas) where that would take some planning and adapting.  Low populations may not be able to support a priest's full salary, so other employment would be needed.  "an hour's" travel can be variable due to roads and things between Point A and Point B.  I recall we had a person here on the forum who was somewhere up on the "Hi Line" in Montana, I don't recall if it was Glasgow or Havre or where.  Any trip to an EO parish, even one without a priest like in Great Falls, would take many hours because of going around things like mountain islands or Fort Peck Reservoir or just traveling on 2-lane roads. And that's in good weather and not when the snows come.

Not all places are created equal, as it were.

Ebor
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:06:08 PM by Ebor » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »

Including starting missions several blocks away from the already one Orthodox church in town that is alive and growing as a strong community, kind of a "textbook" example of a thriving multi-ethnic melting pot mission/parish that is growing. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:52:51 PM by username! » Logged

MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »

i thought i would add my welcome as well and though i don't know of any Orthodox parishes in Montana i do hope you can find something or that someone on here can help you. i'm sorry about that happening, that's gota be frustrating!

mary

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:08:11 PM by MaryCecilia » Logged

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum from another member making the journey from the RCC.   Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

Welcome!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 08:30:56 PM »

Welcome!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »

I was a member of the Helena mission until I moved to Billings.  They have typica services every Sunday, unless they go to the Serbian church in Butte.  Isn't the priest from the Serbian church coming to Missoula to serve liturgies periodically?  I know he's serving at the OCA mission in Helena and I believe he's serving a mission in Kalispell (though before I was told about it by a member of the Helena mission, I didn't even know there was a mission in Kalispell).  As an aside, please keep Fr. Russell in your prayers.  He has a wife and 4 children, and I imagine that serving his church and 3 missions in Western Montana is a huge strain on him and his family.  This only goes to show you what the bishops of the different jurisdictions working together can accomplish.  As many of you may know, the bishops of the Western dioceses are meeting together quite frequently, and were able to work this out.  Right now, Fr. Russell is the only Orthodox priest in the western part of Montana.  You are in my prayers, Orthodoxwannabe.  It is very difficult, especially going through the fasting periods without receiving Communion (since priests are usually so busy during Lent, they don't even get to the missions).  Are there typica (or reader's services) held at the church in Missoula on Sundays?  Of course, it is not as good as a liturgy, but it does keep you in the cycles of the Church year, and it can help you get through a lot.  Is there a chance that members of the church in Missoula could carpool and get to Butte once in awhile?  It would probably have to be in the summer and autumn before the snow starts coming, but maybe you could all pitch in to help pay for gas and make a trip there.  The church in Butte is beautiful and the people are wonderful.  I moved to Billings two years ago, and now getting through Lent is much easier, since I can have Communion every week (on Sundays and the pre-sanctified liturgies).  However, I spent my first 5 Lents in your situation.  It was hard, but I also learned a lot, and it did make me stronger for having to do it.  God will give you the strength that you need to get through it.    As I said earlier, does your chuch have the typica services on Sundays?  If you don't, talk to your bishop and get his permission to hold them and give you the materials you need to hold them (or tell you where you can find them).  That way you are in church on Sundays and getting fed (even if you aren't receiving the Eucharist).  I've noticed that people who will only attend liturgies and not typicas didn't usually come for liturgy even when we had a priest (however, the Vespers were on Friday nite and the liturgy on Sat morning so that the priest could get back to his parish by Sat nite for Vespers).  I think that going to the services weekly is important, if your church has that choice.   

For those of you who have never been to Montana, weather can be a huge challenge.  I know we (the members of the Helena mission) went to Butte for Pentecost in 2001, as we were told to either go the Butte (60-70 miles away) or to Billings (238 miles away).  I think you can guess which we chose to go to.  It was raining in Helena, but in Butte it was snowing (this was in mid June).  It started snowing just as we pulled off the Interstate and into Butte.  The drive home was a nightmare.  Since it was June, you couldn't have the studded snow tires on, and it was scary.  The driver is a native Montanan and knows how to drive in that kind of weather, but his daughter and I were white-knuckled.  In Helena, they had just had rain and no snow.  The priest in Bozeman arrived a week or so later (he had just graduated from St. Vladimir's) to 8 inches of snow in Bozeman (and this was right in the middle of June).  We got no snow in Helena. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:56:05 PM by katherine 2001 » Logged
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:31:07 AM »

Thanks for the Kind welcomes everyone.

Ebor: Yes I think it was St Constantine and Helen. I think that they had a Priest going there occasionaly a few years back I can't recall exactly. I do know that our former Priest would drive up there to celebrate weddings and funerals.

Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »

Katherine 2001: Are you from Montana? I am not sure about the Butte Priest coming to Missoula. After our Priest retired the mission kinda fell apart we are a Greek Orthodox but I would say about 3/4 were converts from western Christianity which has no shortage of Churches so it was somewhat overwhelming I suppose to go from having all these denominations that they came from with at least two churches in any given mid sized town to all of a sudden having nothing. We in missoula have 4 Lutheran Churches 2 Presbyterian 4 Catholic 9 baptist 1 episcopal and about 14 non denominational ones and just the one Orthodox. I will have to find out about the typica service. Right now I am not sure who to contact. When our Priest retired our church went out of the phone book it isn't even listed so I am not sure who to get a hold of. Last I looked the Parish website hadn't been updated in about two years. Oh your right about the Butte Church that church is breathtaking inside. I also noticed that about Divine liturgy people would attend that but the weekly vesper service had me one very cute Serbian Girl who was going to school here and about 7 babushkas no one else went. I was unaware that there was a mission in Kalispell that must be new. Fr. Russel shall be in my prayers that is a lot of ground to cover and it's worse because western Montana is mountainous and as you pointed out we have no actual weather pattern to speak of.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:53 AM »

Christ Is Risen! Truly He Is Risen!

Welcome to the forum.

I ran into some people who live in Yorktown, VA and attend GOA church in Fredericksburg, VA - about 130 miles each way.  There are 3 GOA churches in Hampton Roads, Norfolk & Virginia Beach and the church in Fredericksburg is encountering difficulty maintaining a full-time priest.

With gas prices where they are today - that's about $35 a trip (assume car averages 30 MPG for trip).
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 12:58:32 AM »

That's interesting, but there are places like Montana and other parts of the West (as well as other areas) where that would take some planning and adapting.  Low populations may not be able to support a priest's full salary, so other employment would be needed.  "an hour's" travel can be variable due to roads and things between Point A and Point B.  I recall we had a person here on the forum who was somewhere up on the "Hi Line" in Montana, I don't recall if it was Glasgow or Havre or where.  Any trip to an EO parish, even one without a priest like in Great Falls, would take many hours because of going around things like mountain islands or Fort Peck Reservoir or just traveling on 2-lane roads. And that's in good weather and not when the snows come.

Not all places are created equal, as it were.

Ebor

This is our problem the last I heard was that we almost had a Priest but he couldn't afford to stay here we only have about 50 Parishioners and he couldn't get by with his family etc.
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 01:01:11 AM »

Greetings from a Montanan-in-exile.  Smiley  Is the Greek parish you mentioned Sts. Constantine and Helen in Great Falls? 

Ebor

Where did you live at in Montana?
Dismas84
Struggling

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 01:30:16 AM »

Welcome to the struggle.  Smiley

"It is truly difficult for me to say who has done me more good and who has done me more evil in the world: friends or enemies."
-- Saint Nikolai Velimirovic

The blog of an Orthodox convert
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »

Where did you live at in Montana?

I grew up in Great Falls and my parents still live there. I keep up on the Montana news on-line and we're hoping to get out there again this summer.  When you wrote about the parish in Great Falls being "north" of you,  I'll admit I was wondering if you were from Stockett, or Ulm or Cascade or Belt or some other town farther south.   Smiley  I'm not trying to pry, though.

It's interesting that we've had several Montanans here on the forum considering the population.  There are at least 5 that I can think of (counting myself  Wink )

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 07:57:55 AM »

This is our problem the last I heard was that we almost had a Priest but he couldn't afford to stay here we only have about 50 Parishioners and he couldn't get by with his family etc.

And that's in one of the cities (for people who don't know Montana, Missoula is the second or third largest city in the  state. The last I read Billings is first, then Missoula and Great Falls sometimes trade places on the list).  The question of work in order to live would be even more tricky in other parts of the state like up on the Hi-Line or the far northwest or near/on one of the reservations or in the middle of the state.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »

Christ Is Risen! Truly He Is Risen!

Welcome to the forum.

I ran into some people who live in Yorktown, VA and attend GOA church in Fredericksburg, VA - about 130 miles each way.  There are 3 GOA churches in Hampton Roads, Norfolk & Virginia Beach and the church in Fredericksburg is encountering difficulty maintaining a full-time priest.

With gas prices where they are today - that's about $35 a trip (assume car averages 30 MPG for trip).

There may be some distance, but the last I knew the roads between Yorktown and Fredericksburg are highways.  The kind of road can make a difference.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum, OW!

I have never lived in Montana, but my former postdoctoral mentor was from there, and he loved to tell us lots of stories about his state, showed beautiful pictures, etc. I had a chance to travel through Montana by car, and it is, indeed, breathtakingly beautiful.

George

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 10:51:12 PM »

There may be some distance, but the last I knew the roads between Yorktown and Fredericksburg are highways.  The kind of road can make a difference.

US 17 is 4 lane divided highway with 55 MPH limit pretty much the entire way except for one or two small towns and Fort A.P. Hill Base where the road narrows to 2 lanes until arriving at Fredericksburg.

The McDonald Pass over the Continental Divide is 6,320' unlike the 12,000' plus crossings in CO.
Source - 2008 Rand McNally US Road Atlas.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »

And I thought I had it bad with a 52 mile drive to my parish  (that is a 104 miles on Sunday and on major feasts  208 when I get to Vespers).  My prayers are with you that you may be able to get a priest soon or at least a deacon who may be able to do a Typika with communion.

Thomas
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:58:36 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »

US 17 is 4 lane divided highway with 55 MPH limit pretty much the entire way except for one or two small towns and Fort A.P. Hill Base where the road narrows to 2 lanes until arriving at Fredericksburg.

As I thought I recalled.  And there are as many 4 lane divided highways in Montana as there are along the East Coast and other more populous areas.

The McDonald Pass over the Continental Divide is 6,320' unlike the 12,000' plus crossings in CO.
Source - 2008 Rand McNally US Road Atlas.

I know this about MacDonald Pass (please note the "Mac", it does make a difference  Wink ).  I've been over it.  I don't really get your point because it's not as high as ones in Colorado.  In a blizzard or other adverse conditions, it's not easy or fast to drive.   And Montanans are used to driving in snow, but sometimes the weather wins.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »

An I thought I had it bad with a 52 mile drive to my parish  (that is a 104 miles on Sunday and on major feasts  208 when I get to Vespers).  My prayers are with you that you may be able to get a priest soon or at least a deacon who may be able to do a Typika with communion.

Thomas

Montanans are used to driving distances.  The state has been described, with its population of roughly 900,000 as a small town with REALLY long streets.  Grin  But it does take time and sometimes things happen that interfer with traveling. 

I mean no disrespect with this question, but as I thought about this, I wondered is there is a shortage of priests in some EO jurisdictions?  Are there not enough to go to even established parishes, like St. Constantine and Helen in Great Falls? Or are there rules against a priest having a job for support as well as holding a parish position?   

Ebor

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 07:01:50 PM »

Once, several of us drove to Bozeman (which is about 90-100 miles from Helena) on Sunday morning to go to liturgy, and Fr. was sick, so there was no liturgy.  When nobody showed up, we called Fr. to see what was going on and that was when we found out services had been cancelled.  We went out to breakfast and then to Costco (we didn't have one in Helena yet).  Fr. emailed me saying he felt so badly about us making the trip and there being no services.  I told him not to worry about it--we went to breakfast and to Costco and stocked up on some supplies.  I explained to him that in Montana we are used to driving distances to shop, etc.  One of the couples that goes to the Helena mission grew up in Pittsburgh.  Her mom flew to Montana to visit and missed the flight that was coming in to Helena and caught a flight into Great Falls(which is 90 miles away, and includes the notorious Wolf Creek Canyon).  When she told her daughter this, Connie tells her that they go to Great Falls a lot to go shopping.  They drive up to Great Falls to pick up her mother, and kept asking them how much further it was to Helena.  They just kept saying "it's over the mountain"--they just didn't tell her over how many.  She finally asked her grandson how far it was and she about had a heart attack when she found out it was 90 miles. 
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »

Once, several of us drove to Bozeman (which is about 90-100 miles from Helena) on Sunday morning to go to liturgy, and Fr. was sick, so there was no liturgy.  When nobody showed up, we called Fr. to see what was going on and that was when we found out services had been cancelled.  We went out to breakfast and then to Costco (we didn't have one in Helena yet).  Fr. emailed me saying he felt so badly about us making the trip and there being no services.  I told him not to worry about it--we went to breakfast and to Costco and stocked up on some supplies.  I explained to him that in Montana we are used to driving distances to shop, etc. 

True enough. It's the way things are.  Wink My dad regularly has gone to Helena or Shelby or Havre or up to Lethbridge, Alberta or Saskatoon, Sask. to go to Bridge tournaments.  Of course we can go 75 mph (or more  Wink ) out there.

One of the couples that goes to the Helena mission grew up in Pittsburgh.  Her mom flew to Montana to visit and missed the flight that was coming in to Helena and caught a flight into Great Falls(which is 90 miles away, and includes the notorious Wolf Creek Canyon). 

"Notorious"?  That's new to me.  What is it notorious for? When I was a kid the road to Helena from Great Falls was the old one, one lane each direction and along the river (sometimes with no guard rails)  The highway is very nice, though the old road has some fine scenery, too.

When she told her daughter this, Connie tells her that they go to Great Falls a lot to go shopping. 

Within the last couple of years I read in the Great Falls Tribune or in a GF resident's blog about people who would drive down to Helena a couple times a month because the Capitol had a Greek restaurant and Great Falls didn't. Though one could get gyros at a cafe at 5th and Central and I think the owners are of Greek extraction.  Well, there is now a Greek place in Great Falls: Dimitris, that opened last summer and the local bloggers give it very good reviews.

We like to go to Helena when we're out there to go the Historical Museum and the Capitol then to The Parrot on Last Chance Gulch and the kids like the Great Northern Carousel which is very good. http://www.gncarousel.com/   An hour and a half drive.. no sweat.  Smiley

They drive up to Great Falls to pick up her mother, and kept asking them how much further it was to Helena.  They just kept saying "it's over the mountain"--they just didn't tell her over how many.  She finally asked her grandson how far it was and she about had a heart attack when she found out it was 90 miles. 

I shouldn't smile, but that shows one of the differences between Montana and "back East".  My parents had gone down to Denver, CO to see my sister and for my father to go to a Bridge Tournament.  Flying back there was an unexpected snow and the plane landed in Helena.  They offered my parents (in their 80's) and some other people a drive home or that they could wait until the plane was cleared and the GF runway was plowed.  Everyone chose the plane and they all got home OK.

Ebor

Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »

For Pascha 2007 we had a lot of people from southwest Montana come up to our Parish for Liturgy. We had one family that lived just above Yellowstone National Park, so yep there is a lot of traveling here thats for sure.
Orthodox Wannabe

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »

And I thought I had it bad with a 52 mile drive to my parish  (that is a 104 miles on Sunday and on major feasts  208 when I get to Vespers).  My prayers are with you that you may be able to get a priest soon or at least a deacon who may be able to do a Typika with communion.

Thomas

Thank you very much.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »

I know this about MacDonald Pass (please note the "Mac", it does make a difference  Wink ).  I've been over it.  I don't really get your point because it's not as high as ones in Colorado.  In a blizzard or other adverse conditions, it's not easy or fast to drive.   And Montanans are used to driving in snow, but sometimes the weather wins.

Thanks for the correction; I copied MacDonald wrong from looking at my atlas.

Having crossed the Continental Divide at Loveland Pass, over 12,000' in elevation, I was under the impression that a lower pass would result in less treacherous weather conditions most of the time.  While MacDonald Pass is a few hundred miles NW of Loveland Pass, that's a few hundred miles closer to the North Pole and conditions may not be the same.   Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »

Ebor,

I mean no disrespect with this question, but as I thought about this, I wondered is there is a shortage of priests in some EO jurisdictions?  Are there not enough to go to even established parishes, like St. Constantine and Helen in Great Falls? Or are there rules against a priest having a job for support as well as holding a parish position? 

I don't know about the first question, but fwiw I've known priests who had secular jobs.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »

Thanks for the correction; I copied MacDonald wrong from looking at my atlas.

Having crossed the Continental Divide at Loveland Pass, over 12,000' in elevation, I was under the impression that a lower pass would result in less treacherous weather conditions most of the time.  While MacDonald Pass is a few hundred miles NW of Loveland Pass, that's a few hundred miles closer to the North Pole and conditions may not be the same.   Wink

This could be the case, yes.  Smiley  Different weather patterns, different conditions. The next highway pass over the Divide north of MacDonald Pass is Rodgers Pass between Great Falls and Missoula.  It has the distinction of having the lowest recorded temperature in the lower 48: minus 70 degrees F on January 20, 1954.  And Rodgers is lower in elevation then Macdonald.  Then there's Marias Pass north of Rodgers which is about 400 feet lower still and has some phenomenal snow falls that have to get plowed through for the highway and the train tracks that go over it.

Ebor

jsenner

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »

I am a member of Holy Trinity in Butte and as often as possible I travel with Fr. Russell to help when he serves in Missoula and Helena. I have heard that there is a possiblity he will also be serving in Great Falls in the future.

I recently added a 360 view of the inside of my church in Butte to the church website. You can find it by going to http://holytrinitybutte.org and following the link.

Jeremiah
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 07:53:35 AM »

Job well done... Beautiful Church it is Slava Bogu.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »

Jeremiah,  Your parish church is absolutely gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing.    Juliana
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »

Woah. No wasted space there!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »

Greetings jsenner! 

I'm fortunate to be in Montana right now visiting my parents. It's good to be back and the weather is grand.  Big Sky for the win!  Wink 

I feel for your priest, though, with 3 cities now and the possible addition of Great Falls.   I'm trying to figure out if that means that there are only 2 EO priests in the entire state of Montana (Fr. Russell and one in  Billings).  Shocked

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: