OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 08:05:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkish police stopped the celebration of an Orthodox Divine Liturgy In Cyprus  (Read 1841 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: August 06, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »

In the occupied northern part of Cyprus, the Turkish police stopped the celebration of an
Orthodox Divine Liturgy in the monastery of St. Barnabas, at the burial site of the Apostle.

NIKOSIA (Levkosia), Aug. 2. The Turkish police burst into the monastery of St. Barnabas in
the northern (Turkish-controlled ) part of Cyprus, and stopped the festive services at the
tomb of the Apostle buried here, even though the UN representation had given its
authorization for holding the service.

Metropolitan Isaiah of Tamas and the abbot of the monastery, archimandrite Gabriel, were
roughly put out of the church, along with all the congregation. In the words of an eye
witness, when a tourist bus drove up to the church, the police stopped throwing the
Orthodox out, but as soon as the witnesses drove away, they resumed their use of force.

The Greeks were not allowed to remain even in the yard of the monastery, so that the
Liturgy could only be completed in the monastery of Ss. Gabriel and Marina, that is, in the
Greek part of the island, in the diocese of Larnaka.

Metropolitan Isaiah gave the following statement: "Yet again, we have come up against the
worst aspects of the Turkish occupation. Our human and religious rights are trampled
upon, we have been denied the right to serve in the churches that were built by our
ancestors. We were doing no one any harm, we were acting in accord with the UN, we had
been given authorization. We were praying together, people from both parts of Cyprus.
Yes, we as Orthodox must pray patiently for our persecutors. But it is time for them to
understand that we live in a democratic, European society, where the people's rights and
freedom are supposed to be respected".

Regions.Ru/Sedmitza .Ru

=================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »

Grrrrrrrrrrr..............
Comments unbecoming a Christian are resisted herein.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »

O Lord we know that we are unworthy of your blessing; but we ask you to help us thy people to follow and obey your commandments to love one another and care for one another without grumbling; being patient and enduring all things with each other who are your children in the Holy and undivided Universal Apostolic Church.

WE your church on earth; where all our suffering is due and good for us as we are chained to the cross of Christ our redeemer. Without such chains we are lost.

Bless your house and establish it for all generations who love the name of God and long to suffer in this world for His name sake.

And for those who persecute us, those who do not know You and seek not your Holinees and peace; subdue them by your merciful right hand that they may know that it is You who they persecute and not us. Spare them not to suffer blindness of the eyes as you placed upon Paul to endure when he was 'Saul; the persecutor of God' but lift them out the darkness that they are already in; the darkness and Godlessness of this corrupted world; which keeps them hard at heart merciless in their souls which is prepared for eternal damnation. This alone is punishment enough to endure.

Please help us to suffer patiently depending your will in due time and that our way of life in You may become the healing power that brings light into the hearts of men; restraining hate and permitting love.

O Lord save thy people and bless thine inheretance; feed us and lift us up forever.

DAT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:20:23 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »

Umm, what is the source of this story? search on cypriot websites comes up empty for ex.   http://www.hri.org/   & sedmitza is 2 yrs out of date (& defunct?).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:03:34 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »

Hopefully this babelfish link will work for you (since I don't read Russian, this is how I found it).

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2FRegions.Ru&lp=ru_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Now I have a better (non-translated) link to the same article.
http://regions.ru/news/Orthodoxy/2158856/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:35:42 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:48 PM »

I didn't get the gist of the translation thing so I edited my original content to make it more of a rhetorical question

Why would this obscure Russian website publish something that would have been a major incident in Cyprus, Turkey or Greece?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:20:37 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

An identical article was posted elsewhere with the same source and searches based on sentences in the article are turning up empty....

The article in question isn't in English except in user-generated translation.  While Orthodoc probably copied it verbatim from somewhere else, it is definitely user-translated and then posted.  You won't find any other versions of the article online at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:17:39 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »

The article in question isn't in English except in user-generated translation.  While Orthodoc probably copied it verbatim from somewhere else, it is definitely user-translated and then posted.  You won't find any other versions of the article online at the moment.

Yep, that is what I did.  I thought it was newsworhy enough to post here.  Sorry if I broke any rules.

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:17:44 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »

Yep, that is what I did.  I thought it was newsworhy enough to post here.  Sorry if I broke any rules.

Orthodoc

No rules broken... Just answering SolEX01's original question, which has been changed since my reply.

---------------------
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

1Pet 4:12-19
Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people's matters. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? Now
        "If the righteous one is scarcely saved,
        Where will the ungodly and the sinner appear?"
Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.

Acts 7:44-end ; Acts 8:1-1
       Has My hand not made all these things?' "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it." When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, "Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!"
Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord; and they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not charge them with this sin." And when he had said this, he fell asleep. Now Saul was consenting to his death.

Psalm 34:19-20
Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
        But the LORD delivers him out of them all.
        He guards all his bones;
        Not one of them is broken.

Lk 11:53-end ; Lk 12:1-12
"And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: