OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Oriental Orthodox parishes in Alaska?  (Read 2810 times) Average Rating: 0
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

I've been trying to find out the answer to this question and figured this might be the best place to ask, so....are there any Oriental Orthodox parishes in Alaska? I've looked online and googled, but didn't have much luck with even getting decent information one way or the other. I know there has to be SOME OO Christians in Alaska, but are there any parishes, missions, or do OO just attend EO in Alaska? Thanks for any info you can give me...
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »

I've been trying to find out the answer to this question and figured this might be the best place to ask, so....are there any Oriental Orthodox parishes in Alaska? I've looked online and googled, but didn't have much luck with even getting decent information one way or the other. I know there has to be SOME OO Christians in Alaska, but are there any parishes, missions, or do OO just attend EO in Alaska? Thanks for any info you can give me...

We have no Ethiopian Orthodox parishes or missions to date in Alaska.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »

As far as I know there aren't any.  I don't think the ethnic groups that make up the OO communion like living that close to the Arctic Circle.   Smiley

I have a friend in Fairbanks.  She's been trying to get back down to a warmer climate for some time now, but for work related reasons she keeps having to go back up there.  It will be a while before she can really move away.  She travels a few times a year to Seattle or Los Angeles and on those occasions she'll go to an Armenian church.  Otherwise, she visits other churches in her area when she is in Alaska.  There are a lot of Russian churches up there, but it may not be a good idea to commune in one, as you'll be probably breaking some rules.  I would think, however, that you could still attend one and pray there without communing.

According to my friend there is a small but growing Armenian community there.  A priest from Seattle will sometimes go up to baptise a baby or something.  There is still no mission parish or anything, but one can always hope there will be one in the future.

NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »

Thanks for the information. Hopefully one day they'll get a mission or several going in Alaska. Even though it's close to the Arctic Circle, hey, I was shocked to see so many OO Churches in Canada, so maybe someday soon AK will have some too. Smiley I may be moving to Fairbanks in about a year, which is what brought up my question out of curiousity. thanks again.....

Edited to add, that I'm actually EO, but I often feel more at home in OO Churches for some reason, which is why I was asking this question to begin with.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:57:08 AM by NorthernPines » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

As far as I know there aren't any.  I don't think the ethnic groups that make up the OO communion like living that close to the Arctic Circle.   Smiley

Grin

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

Hopefully one day they'll get a [OO] mission or several going in Alaska.

Um, this is similar to saying: "Hopefully one day there will be many EO parishes in Ethiopia."

....... but WHY?  Native Alaskans have been EO for centuries.  The Russian missionaries have labored there for generations.
Stepping on each other's toes isn't going to help anyone.

It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ is not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation.
(Romans 15:20)

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »

I know what you are saying, but if you are an OO living in Alaska, it would be nice to have a place where you can take Communion without breaking some ancient canon.  My friend is in that situation and can only commune a few times a year when she travels. 

There are Russians living in Armenia--including Russian troops lining the border with Turkey to keep the Turks from invading--and recently they built (or are still building) a Russian Orthodox Church in the capital city of Yerevan.  I think the government of Armenia actually helped fund it as a good will gesture.

It's not a proselytizing tool.  I don't think in either Alaska or Armenia anyone is trying to convert or sheep steal.  It's just that until the Chalcedon thing is straightened out, people need a place where they can commune.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

It's just that until the Chalcedon thing is straightened out, people need a place where they can commune.

In my own very under-informed opinion, reinstating full unity between EO and OO should be the absolute primary focus of the hierarchs today.  The synergy and momentum caused from this would far outweigh any endeavors we undertake while still apart.  If there's full unity, then it doesn't matter if Armenians live in Alaska or Russians live in Ethiopia... and we can further focus on countries/regions that don't have ANY Orthodox presence.
+pray for Orthodox unity
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:05:55 PM by _Seraphim_ » Logged

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

The synergy and momentum caused from this would far outweigh any endeavors we undertake while still apart.

To worry about compensating for issues that could be resolved through unity will only take away from the necessary time and energy required to achieve that unity.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »

Again, I hear you.  Imagine how much stronger the Orthodox would be if we all communed from the same cup and spoke with the same voice.  It would, at the very least, make persecution and harassment like this that much harder:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16975.msg244488/boardseen.html#new

People have to want it, though.  I'm praying for it too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:52:29 AM by Salpy » Logged

NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »

Um, this is similar to saying: "Hopefully one day there will be many EO parishes in Ethiopia."

Well, last I checked EO was not the official religion of the United States. Smiley So it's not exactly the same thing. Plus as Salpy pointed out, what of those OO people who cannot take Communion but for maybe once a year? I know there are special dispensations for such situations, but most priests of the Russian background likely would NOT commune an OO anyways....then you'd have to get Bishops involved, Church politics would come into the fray, and the poor OO person would be accused of some wrong doing, then the EO would be accused of wrong doing.....I've been Orthodox far to long to continue to wear my rose colored glasses, I know how something minor can get blown way out of proportion and before long there is some inter-parish, or inter-jurisdictional incident to deal with. Why bother with all that when having an actual parish for OO to attend would solve the problem?

When I used the term "mission" I most certainly didn't mean it in it's historic context, but rather the modern American context of "a Church just getting started which has Liturgy once a month" type of thing. There are tons of "mission" Churches in the lower 48 who are in no way trying to convert anyone...they're just there in remote places so EO don't have to travel 150 miles to commune. That's all I meant. I suppose "mission" is a poor choice of wording, but there are tons of "mission" parishes within 3 states of me, and not a single one of them is actually doing "mission" work of any kind. So I guess my context is slightly different than yours, and next time I'll be more clear.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:44:00 AM by NorthernPines » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

Again, I hear you.  Imagine how much stronger the Orthodox would be if we all communed from the same cup and spoke with the same voice.  It would, at the very least, make persecution and harassment like this that much harder:

Exactly... and this is only one of numerous benefits.

People have to want it, though.  I'm praying for it too.

Amen.  +Lord have mercy

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »

Well, last I checked EO was not the official religion of the United States. Smiley So it's not exactly the same thing.

Native Alaskans have been EO for centuries.

While Alaska is technically part of the United States, it is historically eons more Aleutian/Tlingit/Yup'ik than "American."  It has only been part of the U.S. for barely 50 years... not even hardly a generation.  The native people of Alaska were EO 165 years before they became "America."  In matters such as these, you simply can't treat Alaska like its the continental U.S.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

what of those OO people who cannot take Communion but for maybe once a year?

They could write their bishop(s) several letters petitioning them to strive for OO/EO unity.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »

I've been Orthodox far to long to continue to wear my rose colored glasses...

So strive and pray for the harder long-term solution, rather than settling for the easier short-term pacification that will ultimately not really solve anything. 

Please understand that I am not against OOs being able to receive in Alaska... its just this particular situation points to a much larger picture. 

+God bless the OOs in Alaska

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Smiley

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »

While Alaska is technically part of the United States, it is historically eons more Aleutian/Tlingit/Yup'ik than "American."  It has only been part of the U.S. for barely 50 years... not even hardly a generation.  The native people of Alaska were EO 165 years before they became "America."  In matters such as these, you simply can't treat Alaska like its the continental U.S.

Yes, you're right, and I definitely agree with you. Sadly, I don't think the Church in Alaska today is doing as well as it once did in this respect....also not all Alaskan Orthodox are native, there are also alot of Russians, and -48 Orthodox now in Alaska, but I totally agree that NOTHING should be done to attempt the "conversion" of the Natives....there are a few other Churches in Alaska that are not decended from the Russian tradition though, and I don't think they are seen as sheep stealing but I could be wrong. My point is if Alaska can have a Greek Church and a couple Antiochian ones, why not an OO as well? I personally love everything the Alaskan saints did and think there is no better example of what missionary work should and can be, so I have great respect for the Alaskan Church, historically. (present politics aside)
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »

So strive and pray for the harder long-term solution, rather than settling for the easier short-term pacification that will ultimately not really solve anything. 

I desperately want unity between us, but the cynic in me says it will be much longer than it should be. Consider how close we were in the early 90's to unity only for politics to keep us apart, I don't see the politics changing for many, many decades. But I will pray for unity none the less.

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Smiley

Thank you. it's good to be here as more than a lurker! Smiley

Tags: Armenian Church missions Alaska church is far away 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: