OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:19:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences between EO and OO theology?  (Read 1413 times) Average Rating: 0
daveordave

Faith: Non-Denominational (for now)

« on: July 23, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »

I'm new, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse, and direct me to the thousands of threads you've probably already had on this topic.  So, is it just the Christology of Chalcedon, or did the two churches develop in different directions afterward?  I've heard some say the differences at Chalcedon were mainly linguistic confusion and thus the churches are really quite close, and I've heard others say, "No way!"  I'd be interested in any thoughts and/or resources you might have on this topic.  Thanks!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »

What divides us is Chalcedon and a lot of bad history that happened afterwards.

I have yet to hear anyone lay out any substantive theological differences.  In fact, a couple of years ago in a thread in the private forum, I asked if anyone could give any substantive differences.  I think all I got was an OO saying the EO's have toll houses and that they believe in universal salvation.  The problem with that answer, however, was that only some EO's believe in toll houses and there's only one EO that anyone knows of who believes in universal salvation.  No other substantive differences were offered.

You might want to click on the Chalcedon tag below and read through some of the threads to get a feel for what that's all about.  Basically, the OO's say Christ has one nature which is fully divine and fully human and the EO's say Christ has two natures, one divine and one human.  Some EO's like to accuse the OO's of believing that Christ is not fully human, but that's a bunch of baloney.  Similarly, some OO's like to accuse the EO's of believing that the two natures operate separately as two different persons, but that is also false. 

prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:33 AM »

What divides us is Chalcedon and a lot of bad history that happened afterwards.

I have yet to hear anyone lay out any substantive theological differences.  In fact, a couple of years ago in a thread in the private forum, I asked if anyone could give any substantive differences.  I think all I got was an OO saying the EO's have toll houses and that they believe in universal salvation.  The problem with that answer, however, was that only some EO's believe in toll houses and there's only one EO that anyone knows of who believes in universal salvation.  No other substantive differences were offered.

You might want to click on the Chalcedon tag below and read through some of the threads to get a feel for what that's all about.  Basically, the OO's say Christ has one nature which is fully divine and fully human and the EO's say Christ has two natures, one divine and one human.  Some EO's like to accuse the OO's of believing that Christ is not fully human, but that's a bunch of baloney.  Similarly, some OO's like to accuse the EO's of believing that the two natures operate separately as two different persons, but that is also false. 

Everything here seems to be about right. The tollhouse thing is also a bit iffy because the like a lot of theologoumena it is not clearly defined but I'm sure if I got down to it I might be able to go through the OO church fathers and find some equivalent concept but again the OO and the EO have both not made extremely definitive statements on the afterlife.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:35 AM »

Dave,

I realize that if you click on the Chalcedon tag you'll get a ton of threads, some of which are quite unpleasant.  This thread gets into some of the issues without being too unpleasant and therefore can be a good place to start:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11782.html#lastPost

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:07:14 AM »

Everything here seems to be about right. The tollhouse thing is also a bit iffy because the like a lot of theologoumena it is not clearly defined but I'm sure if I got down to it I might be able to go through the OO church fathers and find some equivalent concept but again the OO and the EO have both not made extremely definitive statements on the afterlife.

Believe it or not, there is actually a thread about the OO's and toll houses:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12589.0.html

Tags: Chalcedon toll houses 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: