OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:25:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soviet Statue to Rise Again?  (Read 1923 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: July 23, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »

I came across this news video about an iconic Soviet statue that some people want restored to its former public location.  Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6EtSuKSz68&feature=user

Should this be allowed for the sake of heritage?  Or, does the statue and the Hammer and Sickle borne on it represent an oppressive regime, and therefore should not be given public space?

As a side note, I'm reading a good book right now, Confederates in the Attic.  Many people in the book are against the flying of the Confederate (Battle) Flag because of what they believe it represents: slavery, racism, etc.  Confederate flag supporters say that it's about HERITAGE and not HATE.  Now, I know that the Confederate Flag issue doesn't compare with the Hammer and Sickle, but it still got me wondering: do the people who want to re-erect the Soviet statue have a right to do so, for the sake of recognizing one's history and heritage?   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:19:25 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »

If one wants to display them for culture, history, etc. sake (which I'm not opposed to, since {cliche} we must learn from our history {/cliche}), I think a certain amount of time must pass to allow for healing of old wounds and settling down of culture.  For example, I think the problem with the Confederate Flag is that it is still associated with the racism/Jim Crow/etc. that was going on 30+ years ago (and is still going on now in some places).  The hammer and sickle/Communist statues/etc. are still too fresh (it hasn't been 25 years yet since the "fall" of Soviet Communism - some may argue it hasn't fallen at all, just stumbled) in the public consciousness to be effective in a historical/cultural acknowledgment role.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »

If one wants to display them for culture, history, etc. sake (which I'm not opposed to, since {cliche} we must learn from our history {/cliche}), I think a certain amount of time must pass to allow for healing of old wounds and settling down of culture.  For example, I think the problem with the Confederate Flag is that it is still associated with the racism/Jim Crow/etc. that was going on 30+ years ago (and is still going on now in some places).  The hammer and sickle/Communist statues/etc. are still too fresh (it hasn't been 25 years yet since the "fall" of Soviet Communism - some may argue it hasn't fallen at all, just stumbled) in the public consciousness to be effective in a historical/cultural acknowledgment role.

I agree, the other thing to consider too is that how exactly is the hammer and sickle a part of Russian heritage?  I mean Russia was only communist for a relatively short period compared to the rest of Russia's history.  Im not sure the hammer and sickle accurately represent the true Russian heritage. 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »

I agree, the other thing to consider too is that how exactly is the hammer and sickle a part of Russian heritage?  I mean Russia was only communist for a relatively short period compared to the rest of Russia's history.  Im not sure the hammer and sickle accurately represent the true Russian heritage. 
On the other hand, the Confederate States of America only lasted four years, yet it actually embodied many of the principles of agrarian America held for centuries, and which are still held today. When choosing a cultural symbol, universality is far more important than the particular time in which it was conceived.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:38:42 PM »

Personaly, I am vry radical about these symbols. Trash'em. If people were tortured, murdered... nothing justifies that. Heritage, shmeritage, my... neck. Smiley

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »

Personaly, I am vry radical about these symbols. Trash'em. If people were tortured, murdered... nothing justifies that. Heritage, shmeritage, my... neck. Smiley

I agree with your...neck. I do not see Germany extolling their past Nazi symbols.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

I agree with your...neck. I do not see Germany extolling their past Nazi symbols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGDSOvjstM&feature=PlayList&p=41808601BA1647E6&index=1&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGDSOvjstM&feature=PlayList&p=41808601BA1647E6&index=1&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

Love never fails.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:04 PM »

Those videos are no longer online... 
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »

Those videos are no longer online... 

Sorry... They were online yesterday.

Love never fails.
Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »

The major failing of communism is not economic. Just look at the sin, violence, and pain that capitalism itself has created. It's the attempt to abolish all religion that made it doomed to fail.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: