OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 11:51:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kooks II  (Read 1515 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: August 07, 2003, 04:45:57 PM »

Trooper: Breast-Feeding Driver Had Homemade ID

Thursday, August 07, 2003

RAVENNA, Ohio  — A woman who was breast-feeding her baby while driving had what appeared to be a homemade Pennsylvania identification card instead of a driver's license when she was pulled over, a state trooper testified Thursday.

Catherine Nicole Donkers — a member of an obscure religious sect who maintains that driver's licenses should not be required — described the card as an affidavit, Sgt. Michael A. Harmon said.

Donkers, 29, was charged with driving without a license, along with several other misdemeanors, after being pulled over May 8 on the Ohio Turnpike. State police pursued her for several miles before she stopped, and she insisted on speaking to her husband before cooperating.

Among the other charges facing Donkers, 29, are child endangerment and failure to obey a police officer. She acknowledges breast-feeding while driving and says she did nothing wrong.

Her husband, Brad Lee Barnhill, who was expected to testify later Thursday, was denied his request to stand in for his wife at the trial. They say their religious group requires Barnhill to be responsible for punishing Donkers.

"I directed her to do everything she did that day. ... Under our faith, she obeys me," he said during a break.

The couple — who lack a marriage license but claim to be married — belong to the First Christian Fellowship for Eternal Sovereignty (search), a religious group with a history of challenging the government.

The organization, which pledges allegiance to Jesus Christ, was founded in Henderson, Nev., in the 1990s. Barnhill says he is a minister in the fellowship with 650 followers.

He said he and his wife were living temporarily in Pittsburgh for work, but Donkers was a resident of Livonia, Mich., when arrested.

A conviction for misdemeanor child endangerment carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 05:40:34 PM by TomS » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 05:06:43 PM »

Erk!!  also cringe.  Even a slower fender bender would have had the baby badly hurt between the woman and the steering wheel, if not killed.  I know my physics.  And the husband instructs and punishes?!?   Huh  I fear for the child as she/he gets older.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 05:17:59 PM »

Yup, they're kooks.

So, where what the Kooks I thread?
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 05:30:17 PM »

KOOKS I  should be the thread about the driver who sideswiped the car in which Baby Caroline was being driven by her Mom.

He will get over it in time - she won't.

Kooks II reminded me too clearly of the stupidity of some folk

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 05:41:39 PM »

And the husband instructs and punishes?!?

Now wait a minute! That was the only part of the story that sounded right to me!  Kiss
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 05:44:10 PM by TomS » Logged
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 06:12:44 PM »

MEN

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 08:50:48 PM »

And the husband instructs and punishes?!?

Now wait a minute! That was the only part of the story that sounded right to me!  Kiss

Dear Tom,

Verily, that was the most sensible thing said in this whole thread.  Tongue Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 10:58:23 PM »

My wife and I have a share-all relationship....I like to instruct her then she punishes me for telling her what to do. ;-)

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 11:52:52 PM »

Wait to your 26th year of married bliss, that will change, with alot of "other" stuff.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 11:46:13 AM »

slave,
could you provide a link then to the Kooks I thread?  (I'm assuming it's on this board).
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 11:55:12 AM »

sorry - my sense of misplaced humour Sad

I did not start Kooks I and it's not on this board , but Baby Caroline does exist - on the "Other Board "

- St. John Maximovitch
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: