OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:50:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR and PBS--acceptable for children or not?  (Read 2994 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: July 21, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »

This was split from the following discussion:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16924.0.html

--YtterbiumAnalyst

Yes....

Change the TV Channel to PBS Kids rather than MTV, VH1 at home?

Listen to NPR rather than the Top 40 Stations?

Keep Hannah Montana away (well that can't be avoided in schools these days).  In the 1980s, I had an Empire Strikes Back lunch box which was run over by a city work vehicle.   Cheesy

NPR also has wider news coverage than the local news.  It has the folk music show, A Prairie Home Companion (awesome radio program), different music, classical music, BBC news, Jazz music show, blues music show.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:08:28 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:55:34 PM »

The absolute last thing my kids need to be listening to is NPR. Their dad is about to go off to war, hearing about the body counts every hour or so would do tremendous damage. We don't watch or listen to ANY news. That is not something we even do when Daddy is deployed.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »

The absolute last thing my kids need to be listening to is NPR. Their dad is about to go off to war, hearing about the body counts every hour or so would do tremendous damage. We don't watch or listen to ANY news. That is not something we even do when Daddy is deployed.

I remember watching Walter Cronkite cover the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979 & 1980.  While today's news is a mere shell of what news used to be, isolating children from the happenings of the world isn't going to make them better citizens.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:05 AM »

I didn't say "Quinault have your kids listen to npr"  I replied to a quote from another poster and said that NPR has some neat shows.   Roll Eyes

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »

username; I was replying to the person that said I should have my kids listen to NPR.

SolEX01; My kids know about Hannah Montana and HSM, but they are not interested. If I put it on I am sure they would watch, but I don't. So let me get this straight; first you think my kids encounter too much of popular culture, and now you think they don't get enough?

What part of father at war do you not understand? Next time you hear a news report think about it from the perspective of a child with a father over there. It is astoundingly scary to small children to hear about "x" number of soldiers and such dying when they don't know if it is their dad. Often my husband can't contact us for days. And in all likelihood the news media announces deaths before the families have the knock on the door with a flag.

Here is a conversation we have already had with our daughter.

The other morning I had a rather serious conversation with my six year old daughter.

"Dad, I'm angry."

"I'm sorry babe. What are you angry about?"

"I'm angry about Sassy (our dog that died in March 08) and Grandpa (died in Sept 07) being gone. It seems like people you love die and are gone and I'll never see them again."

"That's not true, you'll see Grandpa again. Because he'd given his life to Jesus, he's in heaven now; and because both you and I have given our lives to Jesus we will see him again when we get to heaven."

"How do you know?"

"Remember babe, we're Orthodox and we know that believer's haven't ceased to be at death but are in heaven, praying. Your grandfather is with God now, watching over you and praying for you."

"Baba, if you die fighting the bad guys will you pray for me?"

"Of course I will babe."

"Why?"

"Because you are my number one daughter and I love you very much. You are the future of our family. Not only that, but in heaven I can talk face to face with God about you; when we pray now we can't see God, but in heaven I can pray for you just like you and I are talking, face to face."

She immediately brightens up. "Look dad, I can balance on one foot like a sleeping bird!"

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »

SolEX01; My kids know about Hannah Montana and HSM, but they are not interested. If I put it on I am sure they would watch, but I don't. So let me get this straight; first you think my kids encounter too much of popular culture, and now you think they don't get enough?

My first experience with popular culture was being kicked out of an Episcopal Day Care at the tender age of 3.  Maybe I'm not the authority on how children encounter popular culture.   Wink

In your comments, you expressed an interest in limiting your childrens' exposure to popular culture.  If you intend on filtering the world for your children because their father is serving in a controversial war, remember that you're not the only family who went through a controversial war.  There are support groups and other community amenities for families of those in Iraq and elsewhere.

What part of father at war do you not understand?

I hear you loud and clear.  My perspective is that children ought to be aware of their global surroundings.  As a child, my parents didn't speak English and could not communicate global events to me in the native Greek tongue as a child and I had to improvise for myself in English and Greek.

Next time you hear a news report think about it from the perspective of a child with a father over there.

As a child, I would be scared and I wouldn't want to be isolated from the world.  I would want to play with my friends and go to school and have some sense of normalcy.  I would understand that my mother had a lot on her plate and I would try to be a well behaved child such that Mommy wouldn't yell at me because she's worried enough about Daddy....

It is astoundingly scary to small children to hear about "x" number of soldiers and such dying when they don't know if it is their dad. Often my husband can't contact us for days. And in all likelihood the news media announces deaths before the families have the knock on the door with a flag.

We have to accept the consequences of what has been dealt to us.  I'll pray for your husband's safe return and your family enduring the time he has to be away, Lord, have mercy.

The conversation with your eldest was touching and pardon my bluntness - children need to be exposed to the world and not hidden away.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:40:32 AM »

Quinalt- I agree that right now NPR's news should be avoided.  Username!- NPR does have some pretty cool shows such as Click and Clack's Car Talk and Michael Feldman's 'Whad'ya Know?'  'Prairie Home Companion' is funny at times though Garrison is a good storyteller.  The good or bad thing about NPR (depending on one's perspective) is that they usually have a 5 min news segment every 2hrs or so. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »

Quinalt- I agree that right now NPR's news should be avoided.  Username!- NPR does have some pretty cool shows such as Click and Clack's Car Talk and Michael Feldman's 'Whad'ya Know?'  'Prairie Home Companion' is funny at times though Garrison is a good storyteller.  The good or bad thing about NPR (depending on one's perspective) is that they usually have a 5 min news segment every 2hrs or so. 

Yeah, that they do.  Click and Clack rocks!  Whad'ya Know too is good. 

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »

PBS kids is really awful now. Lots of magic, divorce, homosexality illusions and such.

Is PBS kids programming different depending on where one is, I wonder.  Our youngest (the one with Downs) still watches some PBS but I don't recall any of those things on "Curious George" or the reading programs which he has become very fond of (and they're helping him by giving letter and phonics drill to go along with what he has in school) like "Word Word" or "Super Why" or "Between the Lions".  Do you recall where you saw some of what you list please?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »

Ebor; I don't know the names of any of the shows since we don't leave it there for any extended period of time. The preschool stuff they have is great. But the stuff for elementry age kids is pretty poor.

My beef with HSM is all the highschool cliques and insults.  I also don't like "That's so Raven" or many other Disney channel shows. I don't think kids in grade school need romance and highschool conflict in their television programming. Making fun of others is easy enough for a child to grasp without the aid of a tv programme showing them how.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »

Ebor; I don't know the names of any of the shows since we don't leave it there for any extended period of time. The preschool stuff they have is great. But the stuff for elementry age kids is pretty poor.

My beef with HSM is all the highschool cliques and insults.  I also don't like "That's so Raven" or many other Disney channel shows. I don't think kids in grade school need romance and highschool conflict in their television programming. Making fun of others is easy enough for a child to grasp without the aid of a tv programme showing them how.
I completely agree with you. I also completely understand why you don't want the news on around your children. I am praying for your family. When will he get to come home for good? Do you know?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:47 AM »

Hopefully Nov or Dec 2009.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:45:34 AM »

I love Between the Lions and Word World.  PBS does have some great programming, except I'm not too fond of DragonTales simply because the characters have annoying voices and they whine about everything.  To me, that's something kids could do without seeing.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: