OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funerals  (Read 1252 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 06, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »

I am curious to learn more about the paper crown placed on the forehead of the newly reposed, and the cloth with the images stamped on it spread over the body(see the photo of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's funeral), and all the other elements of the Orthodox funeral, and their meaning and history.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »

^ None of the above things are placed on the deceased at GOA funeral services unless of course the deceased was a Priest or Hierarch who is buried with full clerical garb.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »

I am curious to learn more about the paper crown placed on the forehead of the newly reposed, and the cloth with the images stamped on it spread over the body(see the photo of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's funeral), and all the other elements of the Orthodox funeral, and their meaning and history.

i read some were that it's the thrice holy cherubic hymn that's written their and placed on the forehead.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0Holy God Holy And  Mighty Holy Imortal Have Mercy On us...that was chanted by the priest going in to church and out of church at my mother's funeral plus the incensing ,chanting the hymn all the way to the grave site....

the cloth could be the shroud and napkin that covers the face and body combined just more fancier..the priest put  a napkin on my mother's face at the end for the blessing......
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:34:40 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »

^ None of the above things are placed on the deceased at GOA funeral services

They seem to be Slavic-influenced practices, which is why I've never heard of them being done in Greek/Antiochian funerals.

unless of course the deceased was a Priest or Hierarch who is buried with full clerical garb.

This one's universally practiced in Orthodoxy, AFAIK.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »

I had no idea this was merely a slavic custom! I wonder how it all came about? Huh I know many of my evangelical friends who have observed Russian Orthodox funerals have been  basically freaked out by all this "parapharnelia"...all sorts of wild rumors circulated about the meaning of these items...apparently there is some paper which the newly reposed holds in his hand, and my evangelical friends found out from someone that this was a "passport" into heaven or something of that nature. Needless to say, this was final and all-conclusive evidence that Orthodoxy was pagan, or at very least, suffering from serious delusions...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:36:47 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »

Oh that's the absolution scroll that's placed there...they didn't do that for mom ..the priest just signed her with the hand blessing cross while saying the prayer to absolved the body of it's sin's in life....SmileyCentral.com" border="0 He also placed the napkin on her face and blessed the body with wine ,,starting from the napkin [face]to the waist ,right shoulder to the left shoulder...serbs use wine for blessing the body and at the memorial services ...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:31:10 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »

I have served at both Antiochian and Russian Funerals, the priests usually have the scroll in the hand already if they are trying to make the services quicker for the non-orthodox attending, but read the prayer. the from placed on the head may be there already or placed during the service and often is simply a paper crown with the world printed on it.  I have also seem cloth crowns with the words silk screened. A simple white sheet is covering the body as a shroud  and is pulled forward over the head just before the priest closes the coffin.  If one is luck enough to have a printed shroud it is used, but in most cases people have not prepared for their own death and a sheet is more common in useage.  Several Greek funerals I have been to did these practices also.

I believe most people don't see them being done because of Grief , as well as, the adeptness and smoothness of action as the priest completes the rubrics of these practices. They become more apparent in parishes that do not do funerals often or with priests who are new and less use to  completing the rubrics.  One young priest I knew actually spend several hours trying to do everything smoothly so he would not distract from the service due to  clumsiness , his practice  worked, he served a beautiful and smooth funeral---a great comfort to the family and honor to the one being buried.

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:21:08 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: funerals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: