OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:40:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elijah and the Idolaters  (Read 585 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: July 20, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »

Today is the Feast Day of the Prophet Elijah and an OCA priest intertwined Elijah's story with the current OCA scandal.  Excerpt provided below:

Elijah is quite articulate: I have been very zealous for the Lord for the Israelites (read clergy and passive faithful here) have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left and they are seeking my life, to take it away. God then orders him out of the cave and wants him to stand on the holy mountain. The theophany then ensues with the requisite displays of power in wind, earthquakes and fire. The story is not interested in Elijah's response .... After the silence comes the question again: "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

If your boss has to ask you the same question more than once, you know you are in trouble. Again Elijah gives the same answer as before. The biblical God clearly is not interested in Elijah's self-pity and so does not respond to him but rather gives him three final tasks: play king-maker by anointing a king for Aram (Syria) and Israel. The third task is rather odd, and there exists nothing else like it in the prophetic corpus. He has to anoint Elisha to take his place....

OCANews Commentary on Prophet Elijah and OCA Scandal
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: