OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:10:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Background TV Bad for Kids  (Read 6063 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: July 18, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »

This article discusses a study showing background television can disrupt normal play in young children.  I myself came from a family which constantly had the TV blaring in the background and I think I turned out hey look, a squirrel.   Grin  Just kidding.  Seriously, though, I wonder how long it will take for new research to say background television stimulates brain activity in small children.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »

That's about right. We're always looking for someone or something to blame for all our problems, so a scientist who posts a doomsday article is bound to get published. Since those in the academic world must "publish or perish," these sorts of experiments are a quick way to get funding for more serious science.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:19:08 PM »

Interesting position on this from the both of you Smiley Smiley Smiley 

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

Funny this came up today.  We don't let our kids watch TV except for movies on Sunday afternoons and earlier today we were at my in-laws house.  Myself and my two oldest children, 7 and 8 were sitting in the living room reading with the new bigscreen TV off.  Granddad came in and half-joking but with a degree of being serious said, "no TV, aren't you guys bored?"  Both of my children looked up from their books and in a sort of bothered way said, "no", then went back to their reading.  Which they did for the next few hours.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:47:00 PM by livefreeordie » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Good for you! Always good to get the kids buried in a book.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »

That's about right. We're always looking for someone or something to blame for all our problems, so a scientist who posts a doomsday article is bound to get published. Since those in the academic world must "publish or perish," these sorts of experiments are a quick way to get funding for more serious science.
You and Mrs. Y are the only married couple I know who converse with each other on an internet forum.  I sure hope y'all aren't sitting across from one another at the living room table staring at open laptops.  Cheesy Cheesy  Just teasin' y'all. Wink

Seriously though, I think there *might* be something to the article.  I mean, I wonder how much stimulous is healthy/unhealthy?  I remember hearing a conversation on a Christian radio program where there was a Christian psychiatrist explaining that children today are bombarded with too much stimulous.  One of the examples he gave was movies.  Children usually like action movies, but the movies that are cranked out today (besides the content) are, more often than not, a visual assault he said.  I'm not a scientist, father, sociogist or any other academic professional (so don't attack me!!), but my gut tells me there's probably something to this.  I realize that parents want the best for their children, but children seem to be amazingly self-starting all by themselves.  At least that's the case when watching me nieces and nephews.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »

You and Mrs. Y are the only married couple I know who converse with each other on an internet forum.  I sure hope y'all aren't sitting across from one another at the living room table staring at open laptops.  Cheesy Cheesy  Just teasin' y'all. Wink
Nah, we take turns at the computer desk. Wink

Children usually like action movies, but the movies that are cranked out today (besides the content) are, more often than not, a visual assault he said.  I'm not a scientist, father, sociogist or any other academic professional (so don't attack me!!), but my gut tells me there's probably something to this.  I realize that parents want the best for their children, but children seem to be amazingly self-starting all by themselves.  At least that's the case when watching me nieces and nephews.
Well, as a father and academic professional with some training in sociology and psychology, I can see some merit to this. I have noticed that kids are increasingly often trained to multitask, and this training carries over to movies. Kids love the movies that have a lot going on, movies to which one must pay close attention and scrutinize every detail. Modern movies cater to this, since the producers understand that teenagers have the largest expendable income of any age bracket.

I would like to see a scientific study rather than the musings of a Christian psychiatrist (and I hope you are not listening to James Dobson) on a radio program, but it's interesting to think about at least.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

Nah, we take turns at the computer desk. Wink
Well, as a father and academic professional with some training in sociology and psychology, I can see some merit to this. I have noticed that kids are increasingly often trained to multitask, and this training carries over to movies. Kids love the movies that have a lot going on, movies to which one must pay close attention and scrutinize every detail. Modern movies cater to this, since the producers understand that teenagers have the largest expendable income of any age bracket.

I would like to see a scientific study rather than the musings of a Christian psychiatrist (and I hope you are not listening to James Dobson) on a radio program, but it's interesting to think about at least.

Teenagers don't actually HAVE the disposable income.  Their parents HAVE the money and give it to the kids. 

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »

Well, as a father and academic professional with some training in sociology and psychology,

You sell yourself way too short, broham.  Kiss

I would like to see a scientific study rather than the musings of a Christian psychiatrist (and I hope you are not listening to James Dobson)
Musings?  First, it's Dr. James Dobson and second, last time I checked a PhD. trumped a Bachelors.  Just sayin'... Wink

Taken from www.focusonthefamily.com:
Dobson was for 14 years an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Southern California School of Medicine, and served for 17 years on the Attending Staff of Children's Hospital of Los Angeles in the Division of Child Development and Medical Genetics. He has an earned Ph.D. from the University of Southern California (1967) in the field of child development. He is a licensed psychologist in the state of California and a licensed marriage, family and child counselor in both California and Colorado. He is listed in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »

Some PhD's should be trusted about as far as they can be thrown... Wink

Large Marge sent me...
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »

Some PhD's should be trusted about as far as they can be thrown... Wink
True, but if everyone's suspect, who you gonna trust?  By what standard does one judge anothers qualifications?

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »

Actually there are inumerable studies on how detrimental more than 1-2 hours of television is for kids. The AAP actually suggest absolutely no television before age two. Which will make the whole Baby Einstein franchise go bankrupt Roll Eyes

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/2/423
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:38:01 PM by Quinault » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »

Teenagers don't actually HAVE the disposable income.  Their parents HAVE the money and give it to the kids. 
Not necessarily. Some have jobs of their own and earn their money.

Musings?  First, it's Dr. James Dobson and second, last time I checked a PhD. trumped a Bachelors.  Just sayin'... Wink
Last I heard, doctors don't go telling their patients to beat up their kids in the name of Jesus. Just sayin'... Grin

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »

All that said, I still have used Baby Einstein to get a shower by myself on occasion. With my husband gone that is my only option for a shower to myself. If only my 6,3 and 1 year old all could nap everyday at the same time!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »

Not necessarily. Some have jobs of their own and earn their money.
Last I heard, doctors don't go telling their patients to beat up their kids in the name of Jesus. Just sayin'... Grin

Some teens work, many don't. 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

Some teens work, many don't. 
Yes. The fact remains that teenagers do spend a lot of money on entertainment, so a lot of entertainment is designed for them.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »

The discussion about Dr. James Dobson and spanking has been merged into the following thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16901.0.html

--YtterbiumAnalyst
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:24:13 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Tabitha

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »

While I think a person who doesn't have children giving advise on raising them is like a mechanic who has never had a car, I am going to throw in my two cents...
I have just read a fantastic book called "Born to Buy" by Juliet B. Schor.  She talks about the way advertising affects children, using a lot of research done on her own as well as other sources (there are 38 pages in the back citing references and resources)  I don't know if I could really do justice to all the points she makes, but she makes big connections to exposure to television, especially the advertising, with feelings of anxiety, depression, and all those things people like to blame on the media Wink.  While a child may not be actively watching the TV, he or she could still be exposed to the commercials or see something that may not be age appropriate, even in a few seconds...
While I too, was raised with background TV, I don't think it will be something I will choose to expose my children to.

Turning to the dead body, Peter said, “Tabitha, arise.”  And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up… and it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.
(Acts 9:40-42)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

Funny this came up today.  We don't let our kids watch TV except for movies on Sunday afternoons and earlier today we were at my in-laws house.  Myself and my two oldest children, 7 and 8 were sitting in the living room reading with the new bigscreen TV off.  Granddad came in and half-joking but with a degree of being serious said, "no TV, aren't you guys bored?"  Both of my children looked up from their books and in a sort of bothered way said, "no", then went back to their reading.  Which they did for the next few hours.

How do you get your kids to obey the "no TV except for Sunday Afternoon" rule? Shocked

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30:53 PM »

They've grown up with it so its not hard.  They all started reading young, all of them have been in sports like gymnastics, football, soccer, etc., they all play an instrument, and they learned early to use their imagination drawing, playing, etc. They basically get up and play and don't think to complain.  They might ask to watch a movie or whine on occasion, but its short lived. 

The downside, our home is a madhouse.  As I type this I can hear the piano playing, the football being thrown against something, two of my girls shaking the floor doing gymnastics, and my wife chasing the two little ones.
Pollysamual

Faith: dfsg
Jurisdiction: sdfg

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

Actually there are inumerable studies on how detrimental more than 1-2 hours of television is for kids. The AAP actually suggest absolutely no television before age two. Which will make the whole Baby Einstein franchise go bankrupt Roll Eyes

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/2/423

Nice Information !!!!

This Link is a very good for other and for me.
This is very useful to us ....
Thanks a lot for sharing this type is link with us.
I hope you will put more information like this.
Thanks a lot
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »

I wonder if the same can be said for "background music"?  How many of us do anything, from washing dishes to talking on the phone to reading to whatever with an ipod going or are home stereo blasting away?  Would such also be bad for kids?  So much for those studies which suggested that listening to Mozart would actually make you smarter?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »

I wonder if the same can be said for "background music"?

You're just trying to scare me, aren't you? Wink We play music for our girls all night, every night. Everything from lullabyes to classical.

Large Marge sent me...
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »

I don't know about music making one smarter just by listening to it, but here is a study by a doctor at the University of London describing a study she did in which a small group of kids with "emotional and behavioral difficulties" appeared to calm down when soothing music was played in the classroom.  To some degree, if the kids are calmer they're more likely to learn.

To me, there's a big difference in how we process music versus television.  Sure, they can both be background noise but with music there isn't as much to distract you (like commercials that are significantly louder than regular programming and built-in laugh tracks) from the task at hand. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »

While I think a person who doesn't have children giving advise on raising them is like a mechanic who has never had a car, I am going to throw in my two cents...

If your points are made with wisdom and understanding, it's more like taking marriage advice from a celibate Saint (like St. John Chrysostom...).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 01:35:53 AM »

I don't know about music making one smarter just by listening to it,

Actually, the research I have read says that music helps facilitate the formation of neuronal pathways.
Neuronal connections in the brain of the infant and young child are formed through experiences and strengthened through repetitions until predictable pathways of cognitive processing are established. Once these pathways are formed, it is as though they are hardwired and cannot be changed without much effort. Music and rhythm is essential to the developing brain as it helps to create and strengthen more neural connections that allow for auditory processing. The act of processing music stimuli elaborates these neural connections in the brain, influencing processing quality of auditory stimuli over the lifetime.

Here is a link to the article from which that quote originated:
http://www.naturalnews.com/024286.html

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »

Interesting, thanks!

Tags: television ADD ADHD discipline 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: