OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epistle introduction  (Read 1914 times) Average Rating: 0
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« on: July 16, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »

When the epistle is introduced by the reader, he says:

"In those days..." for Acts,
"Brethren..." for most of the Pauline letters,
"My son, Timothy..." for those to Timothy, and
"Beloved..." for 1, 2, and 3 John. 

What if Paul is addressing Titus or Philemon?  What about the epistles of Peter, James and Jude? 

Does "Brethren..." cover these, too?

Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »

I'd have to get an epistle book out to check (it's at church), however I think "Brethren" is probably the default.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »

What if Paul is addressing Titus or Philemon?
I believe the rule you stated for opening a reading from one of the epistles to Timothy also applies to Titus and Philemon:  "My son ..."
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »

...I think "Brethren" is probably the default.

...also applies to Titus and Philemon:  "My son ..."

Both those answers make perfect sense, which is I thought I had better ask.  You just never know about these things.  Grin
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:58 PM »

Oh-THAT explains why the priest always begins the Gospel reading with "Vo vremya Ionna" ("In the days of John"? Is my translation correct?)!

I have puzzled over this for sooo long and have always forgot to ask about it...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:22 AM »

Rosehip, Vo vremya ono means at that time, or, as often written in liturgical texts in English, in those days. It has nothing to do with John (Ioann). The Greek equivalent is to kairo ekeino.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:23:50 AM by LBK » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »

Rosehip, Vo vremya ono means at that time, or, as often written in liturgical texts in English, in those days. It has nothing to do with John (Ioann). The Greek equivalent is to kairo ekeino.

Thanks so much for clearing up that mystery!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »

In the Liturgy, the Epistle is always prefaced by "Brethren" whenever it is addressed to an entire Church, especially if we only read a passage in the middle of a letter. It serves as a sort of mini-introduction to the letter. I would expect that when an Epistle is addressed only to one person, we would use an introduction that indicates such.

This is what I know from memory; after Sunday I can have a better answer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:51:28 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »

Here we go (I found our Epistle book in English here at the Church... if anyone has a question, I can double-check it in the Greek):

When the reading begins with the first verse of the first chapter of one of the Epistles (Pascha: Acts 1:1-8, for example), then the text is read verbatim with no additions.  I have not seen an exception to this rule, so I place it first.

Acts:  In addition to the standard "in those days," one may also find "about that time" (Sat before Samaritan Woman), and also the verbatim beginning of Ch 2 on Pentecost Sunday ("When the day of Pentecost had come").

Paul's General letters: "Brethren"

Paul to Timothy: "My son Timothy"

Paul to Titus: "My son Titus."

James: The reading on Thursday of the 31st week starts "My beloved brethren," but the others say "brethren."

Peter: "Beloved."

John: "Brethren" for some and "Beloved" for others.

Jude: "Beloved"

Some curve-balls:

Sep 13th (dedication of the Church of the Holy Resurrection): "Holy Brethren" (Hebrews 3:1-4)
Sep 26th (repose of St. John the Theologian): verbatim beginning of 1 John 4:12-19
Aug 6 (Transfiguration): "Brethren" for 2 Peter 1:10-19

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »

Here we go...

Bookmarked for future reference.  Thanks, Cleveland!
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »

In addition to the above, my instructions say these readings have special introductions rather than the normal ones:

Paul to Philemon - Philemon, my son
James 4:7 - Beloved
1 Peter 1:3 - Brethren
1 Peter 5:6 - Brethren
1 Peter 1:10 - Brethren
1 John 2:18 - My children
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:14:03 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »

Thanks very much cleveland, for your Reply #8.  I'm printing it and placing it in my Church's Epistle Readings book, which had been published by Holy Cross, 25+ years ago.  I have found little, if any rubrics for the Byzantine style, in the English language and I don't read Greek.  I have never understood why no one, not even the Holy Archdiocese, translates the service books into English as they are written in Greek, rather than just publishing the services the publisher chooses to publish.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »

Thank you, Cleveland. This is very useful information.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »

Thanks very much cleveland, for your Reply #8.  I'm printing it and placing it in my Church's Epistle Readings book, which had been published by Holy Cross, 25+ years ago.  I have found little, if any rubrics for the Byzantine style, in the English language and I don't read Greek.  I have never understood why no one, not even the Holy Archdiocese, translates the service books into English as they are written in Greek, rather than just publishing the services the publisher chooses to publish.

As far as I remember, every copy of the Apostolos that Holy Cross has printed in the last 10 years has been translated from the ecclesiastical texts -- and thus has the proper introductions. In fact, I imagine that's where cleveland found the info.

If your old copy doesn't have the right stuff, might be time to purchase a new one: http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/apostolos.html

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »

As far as I remember, every copy of the Apostolos that Holy Cross has printed in the last 10 years has been translated from the ecclesiastical texts -- and thus has the proper introductions. In fact, I imagine that's where cleveland found the info. 

Bingo.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: