OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist for Patron Nicholas Planas  (Read 2475 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: July 20, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was an Akathist hymn for Papa Nicholas Planas anywhere? I have heard of a pastiche, that is, a generic form imitating the original 6th century akathist into which a particular saint's name is inserted. Does anyone know where I can, at least, find a pastiche in which I can just insert Papa's name into? I would prefer an actual Akathist to Papa, but I will take whatever I can get. Thanks!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:29 PM »

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was an Akathist hymn for Papa Nicholas Planas anywhere? I have heard of a pastiche, that is, a generic form imitating the original 6th century akathist into which a particular saint's name is inserted. Does anyone know where I can, at least, find a pastiche in which I can just insert Papa's name into? I would prefer an actual Akathist to Papa, but I will take whatever I can get. Thanks!

I bet there is indeed an akathist, since he is a saint for which all-night vigils are done.  I'm sure, though, it's in Greek and in a Fylada, so one of our compatriots in Greece would have to look for it, methinks.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »

I bet there is indeed an akathist, since he is a saint for which all-night vigils are done.  I'm sure, though, it's in Greek and in a Fylada, so one of our compatriots in Greece would have to look for it, methinks.
O, if they could find and translate. I promise to dance at their wedding....unless they are against dancing. But seriously, please, someone get me that akathist please, please, please?
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »

Does any one know or has the link to the paraklesis of Jesus Christ?

Thank You

God Bless

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »

Does any one know or has the link to the paraklesis of Jesus Christ?

Thank You

God Bless
Check out the links in this thread. You may find it in one of them... http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3539.0.html

Joseph
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »

I really appreciate you guys looking this up for me. I have been looking for so long, to no avail. I have always wanted an Akathist Hymn for my Patron Papa. I hope you find something. Thanks to all!
Heracleides
Elder

Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »

The pastiche you have heard of is the "Akathist in Honor of the Saint whose Name Christians Receive in Baptism" and was composed by Dr. Alexander Roman (an Eastern Catholic).

It can be found here: http://www.orangerevolution.us/blog/_archives/2006/1/6/1621452.html

And here as a PDF: http://www.ukrainian-orthodoxy.org/prayer/AkathistGeneral.pdf
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:04:45 AM by Heracleides » Logged

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 04:18:22 AM »

The pastiche you have heard of is the "Akathist in Honor of the Saint whose Name Christians Receive in Baptism" and was composed by Dr. Alexander Roman (an Eastern Catholic).

It can be found here: http://www.orangerevolution.us/blog/_archives/2006/1/6/1621452.html

And here as a PDF: http://www.ukrainian-orthodoxy.org/prayer/AkathistGeneral.pdf

With no disrespect intended to our ByzCath members, it must be said that liturgical and devotional material written within that tradition must be treated with caution by Orthodox Christians. This generic akathist may well be compatible with Orthodox teachings, but I would strongly recommend the text be checked by an Orthodox bishop, to make sure. I can tell you for certain that certain liturgical materials arising from the ByzCath church, including the Akathist to St Joseph the Betrothed, do not pass muster for use in the Orthodox Church.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:56 AM »

Forgive me for what will be a long quote. Here is the text of the Akathist linked above:

Akathist in honour of the Saint whose Name Christians

receive in Baptism

(Translated from the Church Slavonic by Alexander Roman and can be used in honour of

the Saint whose name we bear by simply inserting it at the “N.”)

Kontakion 1

O Holy Saint (Name), chosen by the King of Power, the Lord Jesus and given to me as

my guide and wondrous Miracle-Worker! I glorify you who has been glorified by the

Lord of glory and offer you a hymn of thanksgiving, that by your prayers I may be

preserved free of all the nets of the enemy and may obtain the salvation of my soul, as I

sing to you:

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, pouring forth prayer for me before God, rejoice Saint N,

my guardian, pray unto God for me!

Ikos 1

The Archangels and Angels lovingly observed your life, that was equal to that of the

angels, O Saint N! You strove to please the Lord, maintaining in purity your soul, and

mortifying your flesh by fasting, prayer and suffering. Seeing your God-pleasing life,

with humility I sing to you:

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, who has not abandoned me who am here below on earth!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, who has not forgotten me!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, who frees my heart from the passions!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, make my heart beautiful with good deeds!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, give me the grace to see God!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, grant me the grace to glorify Christ eternally!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, correct my life by your intercession!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, by your prayers, confirm me in the doing of all good!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, by your prayer for me before God, make straight my path!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, direct my steps toward the Kingdom of God!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, pouring forth prayer for me before God, rejoice Saint N,

Kontakion 2

Seeing the plentiful river of miracles that spring forth from your relics and holy name, I

am filled with thanksgiving and joy, and offer praise to God who has so glorified you,

and sing to Him: Alleluia!

Ikos 2

Saint N, implore a mind pure from the passions for me with God, so that having ascended

from what is earthly to what is Heavenly, I can hymn the Holy Trinity and pray to you

thus:

Rejoice Saint N my guardian, bring me to the true God!

Rejoice Saint N. my guardian, present me to the Lord of the Heavenly Powers!

Rejoice Saint N. my guardian, grant me to know the all-Glorious Trinity!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, lead me on the path to the Throne of the Master!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, grant me the knowledge of the true Heaven!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, enlighten me with the true vision of God!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, reveal to me the Three-Sunned Divine Origin!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, grant me to behold the Pantocrator!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, quench the fire of my passions!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, bring my prayers before the Throne of the Master!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, pouring forth prayer for me before God, rejoice, Saint N

Kontakion 3

By the strength of the Grace of God, you received the power to heal infirmities and to

cast out demons, Saint N, and after your repose, God Who is All-Mighty glorified you by

many miracles, so that all, seeing this, whole-heartedly approach to receive healing by

you of all physical ailments as well as spiritual, singing ever to God: Alleluia!

Ikos 3

Always keeping the Lord before your eyes, Saint N, you worked well for Him and all that

you did, you did to the glory of Jesus Christ, serving Him and standing today before the

Holy Trinity, pray for me who, with hope, sings to you:

Rejoice Saint N, my guardian, bring wisdom to me a sinner!

Rejoice Saint N, my guardian, correct me who am dull!

Rejoice Saint N, my guardian, cleanse me from sin!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, guide me to all good works!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, save me from the toll-houses of the princes of the air!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, drive from me at that time the demonic enemies!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, in that day, cover me over with your prayer!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, at that moment, pray for me to the Holy Trinity!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, destroy the storm of my passions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, put out their fire!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, pouring forth prayer for me to God, rejoice Saint N, pray

unto God for me!

Kontakion 4

The storm of the sea of life surrounds the ship of my spiritual and worldly troubles, while

the fear and terror of death falls upon me, and where am I to find the quiet harbour of

salvation? After God, only on you do I place my hope, Saint N, as you have obtained

from the All-Wise God the guardianship of the ship of my life, and I sing to God in

thanksgiving: Alleluia!

Ikos 4

Seeing you, Saint N, my strong protector, the evil spirits dare not come near my soul, in

order to destroy it. Today I humbly beseech you, do not leave me as a result of my

intemperance, but always protect me against the nets and pitfalls of the evil one, as I sing

to you humbly:

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, open my eyes!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, heal my soul’s blindness!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen my soul!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, fulfill my soul in God!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, rescue me from sinful Hades!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, bring me into the heavenly mansions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, bring happiness to my heart!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, sanctify my body!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, protect me against suffering eternal!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, let me not see the fire of Hades!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, pouring forth prayer for me to God, rejoice Saint N, pray

unto God for me!

Kontakion 5

O Saint N, you are like a Divinely-flowing star in the heavenly firmament, dispersing the

cloud of unknowing with the rays of your life and by your struggles guiding many to the

way of truth, showing us all your good example, teach us to sing well-pleasingly to God:

Alleluia!

Ikos 5

The Angelic Choirs beheld your great struggles throughout your life, O Saint N, and

seeing them, glorified God the Lover of Mankind, Who gave you such power over the

enemies, and I therefore venerate you with sincere love and call to you:

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, confirm my life in God!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, make me comely with the Holy Spirit!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, renew my darkened mind!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, make my mind ascend above the earth’s bosom!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, allow me to taste the fruits of obedience!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, destroy my sins!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, indicate to me the Tree of Life in Paradise!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, fill me with the sweetness of Paradise!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, bring me into the Garden of Eden!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, lead me not into the eternal fire!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 6

I confess the holiness of your life, Saint N, may we be saved by your prayers from all

manner of sufferings, troubles and worries, whether rich or poor, old or young, we

honour your God-pleasing life, singing to God: Alleluia!

Ikos 6

Having spread throughout the Orthodox world the light of your great good-works, Saint

N, I thank God the Father for them and to you, my constant intercessor, I sing:

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, protect my soul from sin!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, cover me by your prayers against the demons’ arrows!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, cleanse me of sin!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, save me from the storm of passions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, guard me against sin!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen me in the time of trouble!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, lead me up before the Throne of the Most High!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, remember me there!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, do not abandon me on the bed of death!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen me by your prayer!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 7

You are everyone’s benefactor before the Lord, O Saint N. And so I run to the mantle of

your protection, seeking salvation, as I have you as my helper in all my sorrows, troubles

and temptations, honouring your bring most bright memory, singing to God with

thanksgiving: Alleluia!

Ikos 7

The Lord, the Lover of Mankind has shown a new mercy to His servant, having deigned

to glorify you, O Saint N, flowing many miracles from you. Rejoicing in this, the Will of

God, I sing to you with thanksgiving:

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant what is lacking in my spiritual weakness!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, remember my spiritual insensitivity!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant me spiritual strength!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, chase from me the powers of darkness!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, indicate to me the choirs of the Saints!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, lead me before their faces!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, indicate to me the way to the Heavenly Mansions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, dispel from me the fog of the demons!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, protect me in life’s pitfalls!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen me in the way of salvation!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 8

The great miracle of your life is made manifest to those who venerate your all-honoured

memory, Saint N, as great grace from God is given to them for the little prayer they offer,

and to Him who receives it, we sing: Alleluia!

Ikos 8

You served the Lord with your entire soul and pleased Him well with your entire life, and

was glorified by many miracles, O Saint N, for the sake of the Saviour of our souls, and

you were revealed as a miracle-worker; commemorating your God-pleasing life, I sing to

you in this manner:

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, teaching me to pray to God!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthening me in every good work!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, keep my soul free of the passions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, beautify my prayer with loving tenderness!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, guard me against the warring enemies!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, crown me with victory over them!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, break my pride!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, do not leave it whole within me!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen my soul with your prayer!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, plant the seeds of goodness in it!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 9

Saving me from all manner of troubles, worries and attacks, Saint N., by your warm

prayers to God, assist me to obtain salvation in this earthly life filled with great struggles,

so that I might join you in the habitation of the Righteous in singing to God: Alleluia!

Ikos 9

Human wisdom cannot comprehend the miracle-working Grace of God that has been

poured out upon you, Saint N; but overcome by love for you, I dare to ask for your help

in this manner:

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, confirm me in the womb of the Church of Christ!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, feed me in her pastures!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant me to reside in the New Jerusalem!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant me repose in this City!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, in the day of my falling asleep, do not abandon me!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, at that time, protect me by your prayers!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, strengthen me at the Final Judgement!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, there pray to the Master of all for me!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, save me by your prayers from eternal torments!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, pray for me to the Holy Trinity!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 10

Desiring to save your soul, you did not indulge your flesh, Saint N. but with fasting,

vigils, prayers, and unceasing labour you humbled your flesh, having served God well on

earth, today you stand in the heavens before the Master’s Throne, and there you sing to

Him: Alleluia!

Ikos 10

You are a firm wall and unconquerable support to all who approach you with faith, O

Saint N. Therefore, protect me by your prayers against the seen and unseen enemies, as I

invoke you:

Rejoice, Saint N., my guardian, by your prayers lead me into the heavenly mansions!

Rejoice, Saint N. my guardian, there grant me repose unto the ages of ages!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, there indicate to me the Choir of the Prophets!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, there show me the divisions of the Martyrs!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, lead me there to the armies of the Venerable Fathers!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, guide me there to the multitudes of the hermits!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, present me there before the gatherings of the Hierarchs!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, send me there to the Choirs of all Women Saints!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, make me rejoice there with the many Confessors!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, make me happy there with the Monastic Brotherhoods!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 11

I offer you a song of praise, O Saint N, pray to the Lord that I may be saved from all

sorrows and trouble, and, most of all, appear to me at the time of my end, so that I die not

without repentance, but that I be found worthy to live eternally in the heavenly

residences, there to join with you in singing to God: Alleluia!

Ikos 11

You have appeared as an enlightened preacher of the True Light, Saint N, enlightening

the hearts of the faithful and guiding all to Divine Wisdom, teaching also me to sing

brightly and joyfully to you:

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, create in me a clean heart!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, renew a right spirit within me!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, grant me the prayer of repentance!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant me the tears of repentance in prayer!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, create peace in my soul!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, send me a broken spirit before God!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, put an end to all my sinful passions!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, grant me courage of heart against my enemies!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, transform me into a merciful Christian!

Rejoice, Saint N my guardian, enlighten me with the Light of the Evangelical Laws!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 12

The Grace given to you by God overflows and I celebrate your bright memory, Saint N.,

and with heart-felt prayer to you I come to your all-powerful prayer to the Lord, as to a

mighty rampart, by which I am fortified. For this I praise you and sing to God with all

my heart: Alleluia!

Ikos 12

Singing of your glorious repose, in which you were magnified, O good soldier of Christ, I

pray to you Saint N to be my helper in all manner of troubles and sufferings and to hear

me, as I sing to you in heartfelt plea:

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, make me worthy of the heavenly mansions!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, save me from hades!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, bring me into the new Jerusalem!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, save me from Tartarus!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, pray to the Most Holy Theotokos for me!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, protect me from the prince of demons!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, give me to drink of the nectar of the love of the Lord!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, drive from me the heat of my sins!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, open to me the doors of the orchard of Paradise!

Rejoice, Saint N, my guardian, lead me not to the gates of hades!

unto God for me!

Kontakion 13

O Most Blessed and God-Bearing Saint N, receive this my hymn of praise and save me

from all evil by your heart-felt intercession before the Lord, that I may sing to God:

Alleluia! (This Kontakion is repeated three times. Then Ikos I and Kontakion I are read).

Prayer

O Blessed Servant of Christ, Saint N, the guardian of my soul and body, to you do I take

myself and pray: save my soul from the cloud of my sins. Do not abandon me in this

laborious life and at the time of my death. If not for you who prays for me before the

Throne of the Master with your intercession, my soul would have been lost forever. The

heaviness of my sins weighs down my soul to the earth, my guardian, but may your

prayer raise it up to the heavenly mansions. I pray to you, Saint N my guardian, have

mercy on me, your servant (N) and at the time of death stand by me and do not desert my

soul that is without any good works. Be to me, today, a helper and intercessor in all that

is good, so that I may enter the Kingdom of God by your holy prayers, and, at the dread

Judgement Seat, may be saved from the Left, and be received into the land of the Right,

where I will enter into heaven with you where I will be able, with all the Righteous, to

glorify and hymn eternally the Most Blessed Name of the Father and the Son and the

Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen!

I know that many are not qualified on here to say whether or not this is something an Orthodox Christian should be using in prayer, but for those that are in the clergy, or know more than myself, is this OK to use? If so, I will begin using it immediately. I am still interested in the real Akathist to Papa if someone has it though. God Bless You All for your help thus far!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:35:42 AM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »

I've never seen an Akathist to Papa Planas, but if one exists in English, I imagine the monks at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA would have it. You should contact them about it. They have a particular devotion to him, since they have part of his relics at the monastery.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

I've never seen an Akathist to Papa Planas, but if one exists in English, I imagine the monks at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA would have it. You should contact them about it. They have a particular devotion to him, since they have part of his relics at the monastery.
How do I contact them? I looked in several places, and was unable to find their web site? Help?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

(Translated from the Church Slavonic by Alexander Roman and can be used in honour of the Saint whose name we bear by simply inserting it at the “N.”)

Kontakion 1
Ikos 1
Kontakion 2
Ikos 2...

I know I have mentioned this before on this board. But this is not an Akathist because the person who wrote it has no clue how to write one. An Akathist is a Kontakion that has many Oikos so to number them with Kontakion 1 then Ikos 1 then Kontakion 2 and Ikos 2 is just wrong. Traditionally they are written in an acrostic form and if you look at any Akathist in the original Greek you will see that they are all acrostic. As an example the Akathist of the Annunciation is an acrostic of the Greek Alaphabet. 

Joseph
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

I know I have mentioned this before on this board. But this is not an Akathist because the person who wrote it has no clue how to write one. An Akathist is a Kontakion that has many Oikos so to number them with Kontakion 1 then Ikos 1 then Kontakion 2 and Ikos 2 is just wrong. Traditionally they are written in an acrostic form and if you look at any Akathist in the original Greek you will see that they are all acrostic. As an example the Akathist of the Annunciation is an acrostic of the Greek Alaphabet. 
OK. Well I guess I am back to ground zero then. I got excited for no reason...I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »

How do I contact them? I looked in several places, and was unable to find their web site? Help?

http://www.thehtm.org/

That was definitely the case in Eastern Rome, but in my unlearned experience, the 19th-century Russkies did their own thing.

Was it acrostic in 19th century Russia!!?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

Thanks!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »

http://www.thehtm.org/

That was definitely the case in Eastern Rome, but in my unlearned experience, the 19th-century Russkies did their own thing.

You are right they did their own thing and for the most part it is just a mess. We have tradition and that is the safegaurd of the faith.

Joseph
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:39:09 PM »

You are right they did their own thing and for the most part it is just a mess. We have tradition and that is the safegaurd of the faith.
I have the Jordanville Prayer book which contains certain Akathists. They follow the form of the Akathist I posted above for the Patron at Baptism. Does this mean that those found in the Jordanville Prayer Book are incorrect, and not beneficial to me? Thanks for all the help guys!
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

PoorFoolNicholas,

I don't know how I missed the fact that you are named for Papa Nicholas Planas!!!!!!!  He is my husband's and my absolute favorite saint!  We are planning an all night vigil for his feast day at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Atlanta, if you are anywhere nearby and would like to attend (I didn't look at your profile to see where you are located).

I know my husband has his Paraklisis, and a lot of other information and stuff regarding Papa Nicholas.  I will ask him about an Akathist and would be more than happy to send you anything you'd like. 

Papa Nicholas intercede for us!

Presbytera Mari

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:16 PM »

PoorFoolNicholas,

I don't know how I missed the fact that you are named for Papa Nicholas Planas!!!!!!!  He is my husband's and my absolute favorite saint!  We are planning an all night vigil for his feast day at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Atlanta, if you are anywhere nearby and would like to attend (I didn't look at your profile to see where you are located).

I know my husband has his Paraklisis, and a lot of other information and stuff regarding Papa Nicholas.  I will ask him about an Akathist and would be more than happy to send you anything you'd like. 

Presbytera Mari
Did I mention that I love you? Platonic I assure you Grin. I will take any and all material regarding Papa. Thank you so very much!
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »

I'm afraid the one I know, exists only in Greek and is composed by the retired Metropolitan of New Patras Nicodemus (he retired recently at the age of 90), for €4.24:
http://www.florasfun.gr/index.php?target=products&product_id=84849
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:16:59 AM by Apostolos » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »

I'm afraid the one I know, exists only in Greek and is composed by the retired Metropolitan of New Patras Nicodemus (he retired recently at the age of 90), for €4.24:
http://www.florasfun.gr/index.php?target=products&product_id=84849
I appreciate your looking. I think GreekChef has found one for me in English, at least I hope.....fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed............. Tongue
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: