OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome either loves the Orthodox Unconditionally OR Doesn't think about it  (Read 2729 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: July 14, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »

This thread has been created out of
GIC on judgment, faith, mathematics, and various other topics

Pravoslavbob

For almost 1,000 Years, the West has tried to wipe out the Orthodox faith by force, by heresy and by any means necessary - That has also failed.

Is this what EO often hear in homilies? No wonder many EO have such intense hostility to Catholics and "the West" (cue Imperial March theme).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:09:08 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »

Is this what EO often hear in homilies?
Homilies? From where do you get that source?
No wonder many EO have such intense hostility to Catholics and "the West" (cue Imperial March theme).
I prefer the Star Wars theme for the Emperor and Darth Vader.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:09:27 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »

Homilies? From where do you get that source?I prefer the Star Wars theme for the Emperor and Darth Vader.

They are one and the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_march

Apparently, you aren't the only one to prefer it:

The unfortunate thing about the homily given by that EO priest is that Catholics are actually not at all concerned with snuffing out the EO "by any means necessary"---in fact, we generally don't give the EO a second thought. I would probably pass out in a dead faint if I ever heard a homily at Mass about EO schemes against the Catholic Church---or anything about EO at all, for that matter.

I suppose if anti-Westernism and anti-Catholicism fire up the people in the pews, be my guest. It just seems pretty inconsequential, especially in the secularized 21st century when all Christians by now should be aware of what the real enemy is. And it ain't us Catholics, by any means.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:09:42 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »

Your opinions are from an American Catholic viewpoint today...hardly an historical perspective.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »

They tried thru century's to wipe us out thru fragmentation ,infiltration,crusades..when they couldn't succeed by absorbing us ,they tried to uterly destroy us.  God the most Holy Trinity was with us and didn't allow that to happen ..    Islam was more compassionate to us than our western christian supposed brother's...under islam we existed...under Rome and it's satanic hunger for authority we would  cease to exist any more....Better the sultan turban than the tiara of rome anyday.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0........SmileyCentral.com" border="0Thank You Most Blessed And Holy Trinity Our Great Lord And God For Protecting Your Vinyard  The Holy Orthodox Church,,That your Right Hand Has Planted......God save and Protect  us From the pope's of rome and there lust and hunger for power.....Amin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »

Your opinions are from an American Catholic viewpoint today...hardly an historical perspective.

Which goes to show you that Catholicism isn't the monolith people think it is.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »

They tried thru century's to wipe us out thru fragmentation ,infiltration,crusades..when they couldn't succeed by absorbing us ,they tried to uterly destroy us.  God the most Holy Trinity was with us and didn't allow that to happen ..    Islam was more compassionate to us than our western christian supposed brother's...under islam we existed...under Rome and it's satanic hunger for authority we would  cease to exist any more....Better the sultan turban than the tiara of rome anyday.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0........SmileyCentral.com" border="0Thank You Most Blessed And Holy Trinity Our Great Lord And God For Protecting Your Vinyard  The Holy Orthodox Church,,That your Right Hand Has Planted......God save and Protect  us From the pope's of rome and there lust and hunger for power.....Amin

Wow....I don't think any of us had any idea that you felt this way.   You've certainly never posted anything like this before.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:55:24 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »

....but it's such a new and fresh perspective, as this poster has never shared such ideas before either.Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:59:52 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

This thread has been created out of
GIC on judgment, faith, mathematics, and various other topics

Pravoslavbob

Is this what EO often hear in homilies? No wonder many EO have such intense hostility to Catholics and "the West" (cue Imperial March theme).

Ah I'm so hostile, that's why I have Catholic hymns linked in my signature.... also because people trash talk the hymns my generation is accustomed to......

And and......................................... I haven't heard an EO priest talk about the RCC from the pulpit during a homily.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:00:11 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »

They tried thru century's to wipe us out thru fragmentation ,infiltration,crusades..when they couldn't succeed by absorbing us ,they tried to uterly destroy us.  God the most Holy Trinity was with us and didn't allow that to happen ..    Islam was more compassionate to us than our western christian supposed brother's...under islam we existed...under Rome and it's satanic hunger for authority we would  cease to exist any more....Better the sultan turban than the tiara of rome anyday.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0........SmileyCentral.com" border="0Thank You Most Blessed And Holy Trinity Our Great Lord And God For Protecting Your Vinyard  The Holy Orthodox Church,,That your Right Hand Has Planted......God save and Protect  us From the pope's of rome and there lust and hunger for power.....Amin

You know Stashko, everyone in the world is the child or grandchild of oppression.  If I walked around mad at those that persecuted my ancestors I wouldn't be able to make it through the day.  Blessed are those who persecute you and revile you falsely for my sake, rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is your reward in Heaven. 
Forgiveness is the most repeated word Jesus says in the Gospels. 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »

Blessed are those who persecute you and revile you falsely for my sake, rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is your reward in Heaven.
Actually, I think the first half of that Beatitude goes like this:  "Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you for righteousness sake."  We should certainly pray for our persecutors, but God didn't promise to bless them. Wink
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »

Actually, I think the first half of that Beatitude goes like this:  "Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you for righteousness sake."  We should certainly pray for our persecutors, but God didn't promise to bless them. Wink

I really have to remember more of these things in English.  Confused?  Everywhere you go there is a different wording of the same thing on top of it.  1"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%205:1-16

Regardless I was set aback by the unwavering attacks, at the moment I was thinking, you know not all Eastern Orthodox Christians share the same opinion as expressed in the post I quoted.  I had about ten things running through my mind and that's what came out.  Trust me, it was a stupid mistake not a something - done - without exact knowledge!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:00:23 PM by username! » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »

The homilist which I quoted (and subsequently quoted in the OP) is the Rev. Jon Magoulias of the Annunciation Orthodox Church in Modesto, CA.  His grandfather, also the Rev. John Magoulias, preceded over the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Baltimore, MD from 1923-1930.  Holy Trinity was created when the Mother Church in Maryland refused to perform a memorial service for King Constantine of Greece; Subsequently, Holy Trinity was created as a Royalist Church (using Old Calendar).  The Royalist Church eventually reunited with the Mother Church in a stirring service in 1930.

Website for Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Modesto, CA
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »

First of all, I apologize for any of my ancestors who may have injured any of your ancestors.  Embarrassed

Second, the only times I've ever heard references to the Eastern Orthodox from priests has been in positive ways - for example, I've heard favorable comments about icons; I've heard recommendations to consider adding the "Jesus Prayer" to our prayer lives; I've heard admiring comments about various Russian martyrs during the Communist era; etc.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of anti-EO rhetoric on the Internet, particularly at RC boards.  There's some pretty awful anti-RC stuff out there too.  It's sad, but it's just the nature of the Net - thoughtful, reasoned debate between people who disagree but respect each other has kind of gone the way of the dinosaurs.  Sad

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »

You know Stashko, everyone in the world is the child or grandchild of oppression.  If I walked around mad at those that persecuted my ancestors I wouldn't be able to make it through the day...

Forgiveness is the most repeated word Jesus says in the Gospels. 
Great Post!

Even with the misquote...I love it indeed.

Your brother, Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

First of all, I apologize for any of my ancestors who may have injured any of your ancestors.  Embarrassed

And I want to apologize for any of my ancestors who may have injured or oppressed my predecessors!

And...I accept my apology.  Roll Eyes

Thank you very much.  Grin
...the only times I've ever heard references to the Eastern Orthodox from priests has been in positive ways...
Ditto that, from my experience.

And the other way around as well. I have never heard an Orthodox priest dis the Latin Catholic church, ever. Not in personal level conversation and most especially not from the bema (I haven't been in any Orthodox temples that have a "pulpit" as such...).

But I have read some of the most atrocious things from priests of either bloc, written in times past, so I know it can happen. I think we need to get passed that if at all possible, for the sake of Christ.

Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »

I heard our priest Fr.Miroslav curse not in bad language the eastern catholic churches for distorting holy orthodoxy.,,and aligning it self with rome...SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:33:38 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: