OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 31, 2015, 02:07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blessing of a cross  (Read 1414 times) Average Rating: 0
RPConover

« on: July 13, 2008, 02:10:33 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone know how a blessing for a cross goes, like the sort one would wear... is it like an Icon blessing where it rests on the altar during Divine Liturgy and is blessed afterward or is it simpler or different?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »

As far as I know, with the exception of baptismal crosses, a cross is never blessed as other objects are. The cross is sacred in and of itself and needs no blessing.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:37:16 PM »

At theophany many people dip their crosses into the river that our priest blesses. And at baptism our crosses were dipped into our baptismal waters. Many people dipped their crosses into the water after our baptism. So the crosses we recieved at baptism were definetely blessed in a certain way, but thereafter I don't know.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »

New Crosses are blessed by the priest over the Holy Gospel Book and kept on the altar for one Divine Liturgy in the three jurisidctions that I have attended (GOA, ROCOR, and AOA).  Directions for this are probably located in the Greater Book of Needs. Crosses for the newly baptized are belssed in their baptismal water.  I too have seen people dip thier crosses into the Theopahany water after it is blessed. Yur priest should be able to tell you the tradion of your jurisdiction.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:54:30 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »

I'm not disputing what has been said above about the practice of the dipping of the cross into the baptismal water, but informationally, I have been chanting at the Christenings in my parish for 32 years, under two presiding priest's, numerous substitute priests, and two bishops; and I have never seen the cross dipped into the baptismal water.  This is a Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America parish.  I've only seen the priest bless the cross with his hand as he would bless the faithfull during the services.  Note also, among 4 or so different service books, I've never seen a prayer for the blessing of the cross or for even the placing of the cross upon the newly baptised.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags: Holy Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: