OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:13:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sovereign Grace Ministries  (Read 2919 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: August 15, 2005, 09:15:33 PM »

Are there any of you out there that were once part of Sovereign Grace Ministries headed by C.J. Mahaney in Gaithersburg, MD. But now has over 60 churches. What did you think of it. My impressions were that they are trying to reinvent the church from the ground up. Almost Orthodox without the liturgy, the fathers or the litugical calendar. Well maybe not that Orthodox. Any thoughts.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
SeanMc

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:52:39 PM »

Anything with "Grace" and "Ministries" in it smacks of Protestantism.

In fact they do seem quite Protestant on their website, no mention of any links to Orthodoxy: http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:07:08 PM »

Anything with "Grace" and "Ministries" in it smacks of Protestantism.

I know you didn't mean it like this, but it made me smirk: heaven forbid we Orthodox should ever be associated with the grace of God!  Wink  But yeah, "essentially reformed yet committed to charismatic practice" sounds Protestant to me...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 10:11:42 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:12:23 PM »

Went to their website.  Sounds a little like the church I used to go to.  Definitely Reformed Theology (Calvinism, basically), with a little Charismatic flavor thrown in.  From their website:

"Surrounding this core is an emphasis on sound doctrine. We describe our doctrine as being "essentially Reformed," yet including a commitment to charismatic practice as biblically defined..."

"We do believe and cherish the doctrines that historically have been called the "TULIP" (Total depravity; Unconditional election; Limited atonement or, more accurately phrased, particular redemption; Irresistible grace or, more accurately phrased, effectual calling; and Perseverance of the saints). However, we never want to focus on more narrow aspects of Reformed theology to the neglect of truths that are central, and that we share with many other Christians. These truths include the gospel, sola fide (justification by faith alone), and sola Scriptura (Scripture alone as the sole infallible source of doctrine and authority)."

Classic Calvinism.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »

Thanks everybody for responding, but what I wanted to know is there any of you who were members of this cult, I mean church and have since become Orthodox. I was a member well over ten years ago before they changed their name.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 03:29:39 PM »

any of you who were members of this cult

Cult?

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Concerned

Faith: Christian Non-Denominational

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »

Are there any of you out there that were once part of Sovereign Grace Ministries headed by C.J. Mahaney in Gaithersburg, MD. But now has over 60 churches. What did you think of it. My impressions were that they are trying to reinvent the church from the ground up. Almost Orthodox without the liturgy, the fathers or the litugical calendar. Well maybe not that Orthodox. Any thoughts.

Hi, I realize it has been almost 3 years since this post, but I hope this reply "finds" you. I was a part of Sovereign Grace Ministries (formerly known as PDI at the time you were part of it). Since November 2007, hundreds of people are coming out of the woodwork to finally speak about their experiences in SGM/PDI. It is astounding the results - God is blowing the lid off this CULT. Yes, I said cult. I agree with you absolutely. People who were in the cult for 20 years are speaking out, some join then leave, shorter amounts of itme but find the same authoritarian and sheprding pracrices going on, only they have increased.

The website that started it all was www.sgmsurvivors.com   then www.sgmrefuge.com started, (by two former leaders in SGM, now their blog is a tell-all and attempt to reconcile while calling out the sins of SGM leadership)

I started my own blog too, (www.ikissedsgmgoodbye.blogspot.com) for those currently thinking about leaving, questioning some of the practices, etc. I thought I was losing my mind thinking what I was thinking. Before Nov 2007 you could not find a negative word hardly about SGM. But as the date of your post proves, problems existed even then. But for whatever reason, the Lord has chosen NOW to be the time it all goes public...I hope you are able to find some sense of healing and closure from your experiences there. God bless - we are free in Christ.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »

I never went (although I did attend the ministry (TAG) that Sovereign Grace grew from).  I'm dear friends with the woman who started TAG.   I'm friends with several former and current members of Covent Life (the mother church)  I actually semi-live in a Sovereign Grace neighborhood (some are in the neighborhood that backs up to my house but isn't technically in my neighborhood. They like to buy as groups and take over the neighborhood.  They are very Reformed and anti-Catholic.  However, the kids are all very nice and I'm thankful that we all get along, even with our "questionable beliefs". I've been asked by the kids on several occasion if I'm Catholic.  Grin   I really don't want to say much more but I would never ever want to join Covenant Life.  I felt that way even when I was a Reformed Christian. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:18:15 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »

Hi, I realize it has been almost 3 years since this post, but I hope this reply "finds" you. I was a part of Sovereign Grace Ministries (formerly known as PDI at the time you were part of it). Since November 2007, hundreds of people are coming out of the woodwork to finally speak about their experiences in SGM/PDI. It is astounding the results - God is blowing the lid off this CULT. Yes, I said cult. I agree with you absolutely. People who were in the cult for 20 years are speaking out, some join then leave, shorter amounts of itme but find the same authoritarian and sheprding pracrices going on, only they have increased.

It was also called "People Of Destiny" at one point and there is a double meaning when most of my friends refer to people who go there as "POD people"   (think: Invasion of the Body Snatchers).  Yes, most people I know have a serious problem with their "shepherding practices".
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Akk! I had no idea this was an older subject.  Shocked  Should have looked a little closer at the dates and the last response.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »

I transferred this topic from the Convert Issues Forum to the Free For all : Religous issues forum.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »

CJ Mahaney is a "good friend" of my old pastor at Mars Hill. I would say they are VERY Calvinist and Reformed, and have aligned themselves with the "Emergent" movement a good deal. Do you know who John Piper is? He is a peer of CJ.

I don't like the theology, so I will stop there. But I will say that they are in no way shape or form Orthodox.
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »

They're just another stripe of Calvinist.  Josh Harris is a fairly recent convert, I think, to a very popular Calvinist named John Piper.  So, being Calvies they ain't "Orthodox".  Wink
Concerned

Faith: Christian Non-Denominational

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »

Princess...you didn't post to a "dead thread" I revived it a few days ago because I came across it. I appreciate your insights, esp since what you noticed was when they were PDI.

They are definately NOT Orthodox, they aren't even Biblical! They are a group that has been around as you say for over 20 years, but changed their name to Sovereign Grace Ministries less than ten years ago. Their theology is Calvinistic and Charismatic. (although less Charismatic than most).

Your obserbvations are very much like many others - and the buying up neighborhoods is VERY cultish! They do this during church plants very often...I'd stear clear from them, and if you were involved, find help and healing from such authoritarian abuse at the named websites above. Batteredsheep.com is also a good resource.
Tags: Protestant Christianity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: