OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:04:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessing to your victim...  (Read 1034 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:22 AM »

Hi Guys!

Is confessing your wrongdoing to the victim of your wrongdoing a part of what is considered a "good confession"? Thanks!

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »

This would be up to your spiritual father.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »

I agree. It's something which we need to discern with our Confessor.
Sometimes it can be a good thing to acknowledge to others how we have let them down, and at other times, this may actually do more harm than good and cause unnecessary hurt to others in a selfish attempt to make ourselves feel better. Discernment is what is needed, and if we have been the perpetrator of an injustice to someone, we're hardly in the best position to be able to claim to be discerning.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

Hi Guys!

Is confessing your wrongdoing to the victim of your wrongdoing a part of what is considered a "good confession"? Thanks!
Yes. It's best to go to your priest first for confession.  If your victim doesn't forgive you. It's their problem. Since they choose to sin by not forgiving you. In no way feel that God has not forgiven you. He has. If your victim forgives you as well, than he must be Orthodox in his belief. It's easy for your victim to become the Prodigal sons brother. It's best you pray for him rather than yourself. People love to use guilt as a weapon.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: