OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church incense an 'upper'...'psychoactive smoke'? - Scientific study on incense  (Read 7351 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:17 AM »

Church incense an 'upper'?....'psychoactive smoke'

^also links to this article:
Incensole acetate, an incense component, elicits psychoactivity by activating TRPV3 channels in the brain

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »

Is that why Zachariah claimed to have seen the Angel Gabriel?

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »

Now I know why I've felt like municipal sewage for the last 4 weeks - time to inhale the incense on Sunday.   laugh
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »

Far out.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »

Anyone know if Boswelia resin is a component of Orthodox or Catholic incense?   Is this why we're all so hungry after Liturgy.  I've never seen people descend like locusts on a table of food like Orthodox in a fellowhip hall.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:03:28 AM »

Is this why we're all so hungry after Liturgy.  I've never seen people descend like locusts on a table of food like Orthodox in a fellowhip hall.
No, it's a combination of fasting for twelve hours and being surrounded by old ladies with nothing better to do than make really good food every week.  Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »

Watch out, though. the Federal Government may deem the incensole acetate as a psychotropic drug and try to ban it!  Grin

Actually, when I use incense at home, I do feel that a burden is gone from me.  I think that this is an excellent reason for people to use it in their daily prayer lives.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

Anyone know if Boswelia resin is a component of Orthodox or Catholic incense?   Is this why we're all so hungry after Liturgy.  I've never seen people descend like locusts on a table of food like Orthodox in a fellowhip hall.

You'd better believe it!  Boswellia the genus name of a group of trees that make resin and Boswellia Sacra is the Frankincense that comes from Oman and Yemen.  One can also get an essential oil of this plant.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »

No, it's a combination of fasting for twelve hours and being surrounded by old ladies with nothing better to do than make really good food every week.  Cheesy

Then what's the excuse for the teen-aged boys I know.  They could probably strip a side of beef bare like a school of piranas.  (We're going through grocery shock with the first of our kids being a teen.  "Did you put the other half of the meatloaf away when you did the dishes?"  "No. I ate it."  We though he was joking at first. he wasn't.  Be warned!)

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:05:26 PM »

laugh Grin

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »

Then what's the excuse for the teen-aged boys I know.  They could probably strip a side of beef bare like a school of piranas.  (We're going through grocery shock with the first of our kids being a teen.  "Did you put the other half of the meatloaf away when you did the dishes?"  "No. I ate it."  We though he was joking at first. he wasn't.  Be warned!)

Ebor

LOL (I am actually laughing out loud) Ebor that is so true. I am a twin and my mum had to go through that exact thing.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »

LOL (I am actually laughing out loud) Ebor that is so true. I am a twin and my mum had to go through that exact thing.

Cheesy  Your poor mother!  Two teen-aged boys at once?!? If you both drank milk like our oldest, I'll bet there was some thought to getting shares in a dairy cow.  We should count ourselves lucky then that only one of ours is a teen at the moment.   Smiley  Thanks for the chuckle.

And to wrench this back on topic... if you both served as acolytes of a Sunday, the thought of you being hungry from the incense could have been amazing and alarming.   Wink

Ebor

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »

Try 4 teenagers and a tween at the same time---We had to portion control with no leftovers and keep a refigerator full of hotdogs and tofu dogs for snaks and still it wasn't unusual to come home in the middle of the day to find my boys cooking (yes cooking ) eggs bacon and other fast food items.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »

Teenagers can eat like nothing else. I have quite a number of students who will eat a foot-high mound of food for lunch at 12:15, and then plan to go out to fast food as soon as school's out at 3:15. I don't remember eating like that, but my mom tells stories. Ask me again about 2020, and I'll have some firsthand knowledge of this.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »

I remember I used to eat like a typical teen from 13-15. Once I hit high school, though, it calmed down significantly.

But on the topic, whenever I take a deeply inhale in an incense-rich area of church, I can immediately feel an alleviation of stress. I just assumed it was a pleasant smell.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:04:55 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »

I agree about the incense. Whenever I'm heading off to church, my non-believer brothers joke "Oh you're going off to get your high- your yoga for the day."  Roll Eyes laugh

But what about those with allergies to incense? I know quite a few such people who simply cannot tolerate it. I've had problems breathing at times when I've sung at pannikhidas and have been close to the billowing smoke when the priest censes.

There've been times when I've invited non-orthodox friends to church and they've had to leave the room, gasping for breath, because of the incense.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »

I love it when they let it billow.....I love the smell!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:33:01 PM »

I love it when they let it billow.....I love the smell!

So do I, Torrey, but what about those with allergies? Huh

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:37 AM »

If this knowledge gets into the wrong hands, incense will become illegal or highly regulated.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 03:17:51 AM »

maybe he gets injected weekly with an experimental allergy shot that lessens the reactions to incense

DanM

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »

DIXIT

DIXI
I used to get headaches from smoke, strong odors etc. until I read _The
Yeast Connection_ and remedied that situation.  I also have been advised
that sensitivity to smells can be an issue involving an out-of-synch liver. 
In short, people who cannot handle the incense need to find out why.
DanM

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »

DIXIT

DIXI
DanM

Interesting, Dan!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:25:13 PM by Rosehip » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »

DIXIT

DIXI
DanM

No one was saying anyone was allergic, my post was in jest.  Let me guess DanM you're trying to sell us something?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:04:33 PM by username! » Logged

DanM

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »

Psychoactive smoke

Can anyone briefly summarize what we know of incense in the first three or four centuries of the Divine Liturgy or perhaps direct me to some ruthlessly empirical links?  I have read that incense was originally used to cover up the odors of people who did not wash often enough, but have no idea if that is so. 
It has sometimes occurred to me to wonder whether incense and other practices are means of inducing special states.   Whether incense had that purpose or some other, there cannot be any harm in fostering a little psychoactivity as a harmless accident.
DanM
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 08:41:54 PM »

I have read that incense was originally used to cover up the odors of people who did not wash often enough, but have no idea if that is so. 

Incense mystically represents the Holy Spirit's sanctifying presence.  It is a continuation of Old Testament tradition (which was given by God directly to Moses).  Virtually every vision of heaven in the bible mentions incense.

It has sometimes occurred to me to wonder whether incense and other practices are means of inducing special states.   Whether incense had that purpose or some other, there cannot be any harm in fostering a little psychoactivity as a harmless accident.

This study is no different than saying that singing has "been scientifically proven" to relieve stress and induce pleasure... especially when done in the company of others.  I'm sure there is ample physical/biological evidence that this is true.  However, we shouldn't conclude the Church sings songs simply because they induce some physical state of mind.  This particular study is no different.

You must pray not only with words but with the mind, and not only with the mind but with the heart, so that the mind understands and sees clearly what is said in words, and the heart feels what the mind is thinking.  All these combined together constitute real prayer, and if any of them are absent your prayer is either not perfect, or is not prayer at all.

-St Theophan the Recluse

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »

Wow!!  No wonder why the doctor has me on my meds.  I'm way overdue for a dose of incense.

PB
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »

I remember reading an Irish news article a number of years ago that interviewed an Irish health minister making a claim that incense is a carcinogenic (Unfortunately, I don't have the article and don't remember when it was published, though it seems that it was after 2000 sometime.)  Personally, I doubt any of this 'news'.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 02:41:49 AM »

^^This is the BBC version. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3172337.stm

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »

I hate to ask it in this manner, but then where are all the cases of lung cancer of faith in OC and RC parishes?

Albeit, I have noticed a few asthma attacks when the Priest smokes his censor

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 06:44:03 PM »

I hate to ask it in this manner, but then where are all the cases of lung cancer of faith in OC and RC parishes?

This reads to me as though you think that there aren't any OC or RC with or who had lung cancer.   Huh  How long has this condition be medically diagnosed and why would people not have had it in previous centuries? 

Albeit, I have noticed a few asthma attacks when the Priest smokes his censor

Wonderful language, English; I know what you mean in the above, but it could be taken in other senses such as smokes like tobacco or like what can be done to meat or fish.  Wink

JustinianPrima
Banned
Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 01:34:32 AM »

This reads to me as though you think that there aren't any OC or RC with or who had lung cancer.   Huh  How long has this condition be medically diagnosed and why would people not have had it in previous centuries? 

Wonderful language, English; I know what you mean in the above, but it could be taken in other senses such as smokes like tobacco or like what can be done to meat or fish.  Wink

Wow, nevermind ..  Undecided

This poster was also registered under the username "macedonia74" and had been banned from OCnet under that name.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »

It seems to me that many of our labels for diseases have changed but that the diseases themselves have not. For example, what we now call Alzheimer's disease was before Dr. Alzheimer's time called senility. I'm sure cancer existed, too; it's quite possible that in the 19th century lung cancer could have been confused with pneumonia.

DanM

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 08:22:46 PM »

This may be a downer:  http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080825/hl_hsn/longtermexposuretoincenseraisescancerrisk.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »

Once when I was in church i rushed to greet a young lady (one of my acquaintances) with a kiss. She drew back a little, but I paid no heed. Afterwards, I noticed large, suspicious sores around her mouth, and I really freaked out! I discussed my concerns with a saintly older woman in the parish, and she told me," Everything that happens in church is "safe". God's grace protects us and watches over everything that happens here. All will be well." 

I wonder if a similar principle would apply to God's protection from the dangers of incense? Maybe I'm simply naive, but it's a just a thought.

DanM

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »

The dangers of incense?

Of course, they were using Chinese incense in the Singaporean study.  I have lived there, so I know that that stuff is thick and rope-like.  It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done elsewhere, esp. in Orthodox countries.  E.g., I would expect ceteris paribus regularly attending and tobacco-free Anglicans would have a lower incidence of cancer than regularly attending and tobacco-free Greek Orthodox, IF Chinese and Orthodox incenses have the same effect. 
DanM
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:07 PM »

I have read somewhere that incense was not used by the early Christians and in fact it was related to pagan worship.

There are also numerous accounts of the early church fathers condemning its use.

When and why was it incorparated in our worship if it was allegedly not used in the apostolic era?

Grin

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:15:34 PM by Byzantine2008 » Logged

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »

It seems to me that many of our labels for diseases have changed but that the diseases themselves have not. For example, what we now call Alzheimer's disease was before Dr. Alzheimer's time called senility. I'm sure cancer existed, too; it's quite possible that in the 19th century lung cancer could have been confused with pneumonia.

My grandmother lost her mother when she was very young in the first decade of the twentieth century to "Consumption.  All of her life she thought her mother had died from TB, however My grandmother at the age of 70 got cancer and  sated a few weeks before she died that her mothers symptoms were like those of her cancer not those of other peopel she had known who had TB.  Her conclusion was her mother had been misdiagnosed if we used todays standards. The wasting away or consumption of a person with stomach, kidney, and pancreatic cancer  is now felt to be one of the many diseases that were lumped together as consumption in older days.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »

I have read somewhere that incense was not used by the early Christians and in fact it was related to pagan worship.

There are also numerous accounts of the early church fathers condemning its use.

When and why was it incorparated in our worship if it was allegedly not used in the apostolic era?

Many Greek and Coptic sources attest to the use of incense in Christian worship of the first and second century. Specifically, during the Eucharistic prayer. See Stephen Gero's work on the subject.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »

Grin

Many elements of worship and small tradition are borrowed from pagan/non-Christian practices.  As people converted they incorporated their former practices into their Christian practices.  Take pysanky for instance (the Ukrainian art of decorating eggs at Paschal time).  The Kiev-Rus' people decorated eggs LONG before they were Orthodox.  But when they became Orthodox they incorporated Christian meaning into the old practice.

In fact this subject is so comprehensive on practices borrowed into Christianity it could encompass its own thread.

Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:46 AM »

In fact this subject is so comprehensive on practices borrowed into Christianity it could encompass its own thread.
You should start it. Smiley

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

My official response is, "Meh". Then I point out the following about "studies".

Bad?
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/cellphone-radiation-may-cause-cancer-advisory-panel-says/
A World Health Organization panel has concluded that cellphones are “possibly carcinogenic,’’ putting the popular devices in the same category as certain dry cleaning chemicals and pesticides, as a potential threat to human health

Not bad?
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2008/07/25/do-mobile-phones-cause-cancer/
Mobile phones hit the headlines again this week as a US cancer researcher recommended that staff should limit their use of their phones because of the potential cancer risk. It’s a controversial issue that has been fuelled by constant see-sawing media stories about studies that find a link and others that do not
and
The largest study so far, which looked at over 420,000 people, found that even people who had used mobiles for 10 years did not have increased risks

The point is, I dont give alot of weight to these "studies". Nobody really knows jack crap, and for every person saying insence is bad, theres another one saying its not.

There are ingredients of anti-freeze in Dr. Pepper, jet fuel in Vodka, etc. Guess what? We're still alive.

We think we're so smart. All these studies show is that we dont know nearly what we think we do.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »

I dunno, I read a blog article about a news story that said a recent meta-analysis demonstrated with 96.32% certainty that more than half of 74% of people who did these studies proved beyond a preponderance of proven doubt that cellular devices greater than the minimum length of a human hand can indeed cause cancerous growths of benignly-deadly proportions. And you can take that to the bank!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »

I dunno, I read a blog article about a news story that said a recent meta-analysis demonstrated with 96.32% certainty that more than half of 74% of people who did these studies proved beyond a preponderance of proven doubt that cellular devices greater than the minimum length of a human hand can indeed cause cancerous growths of benignly-deadly proportions. And you can take that to the bank!
Dude, did you just give my a biscuit recipe, or study findings?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Rdunbar123

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

Ebor

[/quote

I had two teen agers at the same time and finally had to lock the pantry and freezer. Go shopping on Monday and have empty wrappers on Tuesday
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »

We now have three teenagers and the eldest can still "consume mass quantities" while the other two are a bit more selective (thank goodness).  His milk consumption has only increased such that a gallon may not last 24 hours if he's around.  Well, at least they'll all have bones like the columns of the U.S. Capitol.  Grin   They can still devour alarming amounts of their favourite foods and I've pondered some kind of control on the fridge.  And we haven't had any incense burning in the house in a long time, so there must be other factors.  Wink

Tags: incense smoke scientific study 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: