OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:28:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no Antiochian monasteries?  (Read 7560 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »

Actually at the parishes ive been to in my area, going to the monastery anually or regualrly is encouraged and not looked down upon at all. Some people go to the monastery because they think its more original/ traditional, some like the quiet or the presence of monastics, wutever the attraction is monasteries definitely have a different setting than urban churches. I personally like the fact that people dress more simple and its not so much a fashion show...I've noticed that in one jurisdiction (which will remain unemntionable) the people all dress in jeans and casual clothing...on the other hand in Greek churches (in canada at least), people dress up a looot for church, sometimes overdoing it I think. At the monastery the focus isnt on the friends or the politics, just sraight church...another advantage.

On the other hand, with some people you run into the tendency to turn the nearest monastery into their parish.  Of course, the problem with that is when you make the monastery your parish, you're really just getting away from responsibilities in a real parish in that you don't have to tithe to pay the electric bill, you don't have to help with the groundskeeping, and you don't have to help with Sunday school or whatever else is needed.  You're essentially a weekly guest.  That's not to say that we should never go to monasteries; regular pilgrimages can be great for one's spiritual life.  However, we can't let those pilgrimages reach the point where they serve as a substitute for parish life without taking on the requirements of the monastic life.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »

He is a graduate of the Theological School of Halki, which probably indicates a thorough "eastern" education with lots of "western" exposure.  Oh, and a pedigree to become a Patriarch somewhere.

As far as pedigree goes, are you talking about his "spiritual" pedigree or his "biological" pedigree?  HOw well connected is he?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »

Halki was considered the premier theological institution when it was open.  Graduates of that school are given preference over non-graduates for episcopal sees and administrative positions.

I have no idea of his "biological" pedigree.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »

I think Metropolitan Phillip is properly referred to as "His Eminence."  It would be His Beatitude if he were the first hierarch of an autocaphelous church.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »

I had the privledge of meeting Metropolitan Phillip once. I was very honored. (for what it is worth, I am in a OCA parish; but I visited an Antiochian parish some when I first discovered Orthodoxy).

Here are my thoughts on the matter:
The Antiochians will have monasteries one day. Orthodoxy moves at deliberate pace. We measure change by the half-milennium  Wink

There wouldn't be an Orthodox Church otherwise.  police

The other jurisdictions will become more evangelistic.

One day (year, decade, century) in North America each jurisdiction will have monasteries, seminaries, strong evangelistic programs (each with a different twist based on the cultural origins of the jurisdiction), publishing houses etc. And the people and their bishops will say, "maybe for the sake of unity and economy (not economia, but to save money and resources) we should combine and consolidate some of these efforts.

And it will go that way for another year (or decade, or century or more) and they will then say, "Why don't we have one jurisdiction."

None of us posting here will live to see it, but it will happen.

It's the Orthodox way - ssslllooowww but sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:54:40 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
stmaryofegypt3

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »

Perhaps this topic has been discussed before.  As a convert to the Orthodox Church I have wondered why the Antiochian Orthodox Church does not have a monastic presence in this country.  I was received into the Antiochian Church and I make pilgrimages to monasteries that are Greek and Serbian.  I have also found that pilgrimages are not something very 'popular' in  my parish as my husband and I are the only ones who do this. I believe that it is essential for our spiritual life and for learning more about the Orthodox faith.

In Christ,
Marie
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »

Our priest has impressed on us that it is absolutely essential to visit and interact with monastics. In fact, he implores all the parents in the church in particular to take our kids to monasteries. A couple times a year all the women in the parish that can, go to Goldendale women's monastery.
http://www.stjohnmonastery.org/
Men on the other hand visit St. John of San Francisco
http://www.monasteryofstjohn.org/

I know that the various Orthodox parishes here in the NW meet regularly. Our priest heads up a "Pan-orthodox" monthly meeting. I wish that there was a closer men's monastery that accepts visitors.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »

Fwiw, there was a thread on the Antiochian monastery issue a while back: Why no Antiochian monasteries?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:20:45 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:51 AM »

Fwiw, there was a thread on the Antiochian monastery issue a while back: Why no Antiochian monasteries?
Thanks, Asteriktos, for noticing/remembering this. Smiley  Drawing from your comment, I went ahead and merged these threads.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:42:05 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 01:35:11 AM »

The Evangelical Protestants led by Rev. Peter Gillespie didn't need monasticism in their reception by the Antiochians.

Monastics separate themselves from the World while the Antiochian Orthodox evangelize quite effectively as mentioned in previous posts.  If the Antiochians advocated separating themselves from the World, which isn't for everyone according to Church teachings, cathecumens could think twice about converting.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »

The Evangelical Protestants led by Rev. Peter Gillespie didn't need monasticism in their reception by the Antiochians.

Monastics separate themselves from the World while the Antiochian Orthodox evangelize quite effectively as mentioned in previous posts.  If the Antiochians advocated separating themselves from the World, which isn't for everyone according to Church teachings, cathecumens could think twice about converting.

Ahem....It is Fr. Peter Gillquist.  He has a son by the same name (Jr.) who is also a priest.
stmaryofegypt3

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 12:42:23 PM »

Sorry to all here...I didn't realize that this topic was indeed already brought up and I even commented on it before!!  Oh well, a definite sign of old age.  Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »

Ahem....It is Fr. Peter Gillquist.  He has a son by the same name (Jr.) who is also a priest.

My sincere apologies, I knew better since I met Father Gillquist at an OCF gathering in 2007.   Embarrassed  I need to go to bed earlier....

Thank You for correcting me, Elisha.
Tags: Monastery Antiochian Anti-monasticism modernists 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: