OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infancy Gospel of Thomas - Childhood of Christ - Cruelty?  (Read 1250 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 10, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

Ok, I know this was definitely not an orthodox Gospel by any means. However remembering what I heard on the History Channel once, I began thinking.

While Jesus never showed cruely and never would have, I was wondering.

Would it have been a sin if Christ had taken the life (not in the way of murder but rather at his will) of another human being? Because of his divine nature (of course, being human and divine), and being the Word/Creator/God himself. Would it not be his right as God to reclaim his creation?

However I must say I do not trust these writings whatsoever and personally haven't even read them. It was just something that has been in my mind for a while.

Forgive me, especially if this violates anything. If I'm wrong in writing this, please, tell me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:46:22 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

For ease of reference, and not because I normally like linking heretical works, I'm going to provide a link to the Infancy Gospel, so people can know what we're talking about:

http://www.gospels.net/translations/infancythomastranslation.html

Scholars date this work to the mid-second century, and it was probably used by Gnostics.  It shows the Christ Child using His powers to perform magic tricks (not really what we would call miracles) and kill off playmates.

Of course, as God, it is Christ's right to take a life.  The problem with the Infancy Gospel is that it depicts Him as a peevish child, killing other kids for no good reason.  In the canonical New Testament, you do see God punishing persons with death, but they are culpable adults who have deliberately done something very wrong (Ananias and his wife in Acts 5; those who take Communion unworthily in I Corinthians 11.)  I think one of the problems with the Infancy Gospel is not so much that it shows Christ taking lives, but in the way and for the reasons He took the lives.  Obviously the persons who used this book had a very different understanding of Christ than we do.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

Yes, it isn't that i'm specifically talking about the Infancy Gospel, but just rather the idea of Christ "killing" someone.

Of course, it never would have happened. But I am just talking more about even if he did it to adults. As kids are innocent in the eyes of God.
Tags: Canon of scriptures Gnosticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: