OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romania Orthodox Church denounces homosexuality  (Read 1911 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: July 23, 2003, 06:58:10 PM »

Romania Orthodox Church denounces homosexuality

By Roxana Dascalu

BUCHAREST (Reuters) -- Romania’s Orthodox Church, which condemns homosexuality as a sin, said on Wednesday it would petition parliament against moves to decriminalise gay sex as legislators seek to align laws to European Union norms.

"Our Church does not say a sexual minority should be sent to jail," Archbishop Nifon said after a two-day meeting of senior Orthodox clerics, whose discussions included the issue of homosexuality. "But we must speak out loudly against sin."

Nifon said the gathering of the country’s Orthodox Church leaders, called "The Holy Synod," had decided to urge parliament not to remove the controversial "article 200," which incriminates homosexuality, from the penal code.

"Everybody should know that homosexuality is a sin against religious, and against family and social values, which are at the core of our Church," Archbishop Casian told the joint news conference with Nifon.

The Orthodox Church, which claims the allegiance of 87 percent of Romanians, insists that homosexuality, which has been illegal in Romania since 1968, runs counter to Christian values.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 07:20:03 PM »

Glad to see this, though I'm sure many will misunderstand.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 07:03:10 PM »

God bless the Romanian Church and her Archbishop!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 04:49:22 PM »

And on the flipside...

NYC to open public high school for gays Sad

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 09:05:40 PM »

Terrible.

I am wondering how they can do such things and get the taxpayers to foot the bill.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 09:29:04 PM »

I haven't read the article yet, so perhaps I'm asking a question that is answered by it, but how do you have a "public" high school *for gays*?  Isn't that just another private school?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: