Author Topic: Cut off age for novices  (Read 857 times)

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Cut off age for novices
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a "standard" cut off age for men and/or women who desire to enter monasteries as novices?  Is there such a thing?  Also, does anyone know if there is a "typical" duration for remaining a novice?  Do all novices receive a monastic tonsure upon completion of their time?
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Re: Cut off age for novices
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a "standard" cut off age for men and/or women who desire to enter monasteries as novices? 
Yes
Is there such a thing? 
No but this varies from one monastic community to another. Some may require that you to have been in a monastic setting before age 20 while other welcome those who are very advanced in age.
Also, does anyone know if there is a "typical" duration for remaining a novice?
There is no set period however each monastic community may have their rules.
Do all novices receive a monastic tonsure upon completion of their time?
There are many who never receive any tonsure, they may just be given the blessing to wear a cassock and skufi. Often the first tonsure is the only tonsure a monk may receive, that is the tonsure of the Rassaphore. This first tonsure is a setting aside but it does not require a monastic vow. Most people you will see in a monastery are actually Rassaphores and not Stavrophore, which requires a monastic vow.
Joseph

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
Re: Cut off age for novices
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
I know a couple of nuns who entered the monastic life after their retirement. They are both quite well-suited for it, I believe.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens