OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:35:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angels  (Read 1187 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin

Pray for me, a sinner.

« on: August 16, 2003, 11:56:08 PM »

I'm certainly no expert on holy scripture, but it is my understanding that Angels were created before man.  A Catholic friend of mine contends they were created after man.  Additionally.  I made a comment of St. Michael Archangel to him.  I believe I've heard a few prayers and mention of him in Revelation regarding the expulsion of the Evil One from Heaven.  He contests that that never happened.  The idea of the Evil One being and angel and that he was actually good at one point and dwelt in Heaven amongst the other angels was only brought about by Milton's Paradise Lost.  I also believe that the Apocrypha contains reference to angels and archangels, but his only response was "were these supposed books written before or after Paradise Lost?"  I have tried to explain things to him as best I can, but he just doesn't seem to believe much of what is in the Bible.  I just can't believe he's never heard of the Apocrypha.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 12:01:06 AM »

I just can't believe he's never heard of the Apocrypha.

You shouldn't be. Most Protestants (at least Southern) have not heard of it. As a convert from Southern Baptist, I had never heard of it until after I became Orthodox.

And yes, it is my understanding also that angels were created prior to man.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 12:02:21 AM by TomS » Logged
Justin

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 12:12:12 AM »

He's not Protestant though, he's Catholic.  That's why it surprised me so much.  I guess I should ask, how do I set him straight on it?  Any relevant books of the scripture apocrypha I could use to prove Milton didn't just invent the fall?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 01:28:19 AM by Justin » Logged
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 09:46:48 PM »

There are some that say Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28 depict the fall of Lucifer through the prophecies against the kings of Babylon and Tyre respectively.  Of course, Job depicts Satan as coming before God as the Accuser.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 10:22:15 AM »

Justin,

This site might help your friend:

http://www.raphael.net/

Here's what they say:

This site is dedicated to communicating the truth about the Holy Angels, as taught by the Catholic Church from the founts of Sacred Scripture, the Holy Fathers and Doctors of the Church, the Magisterium and the writings of the Angelic Doctor, St. Thomas Aquinas.

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Tags: saints angels 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: