OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:13:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orthodox NFP website  (Read 904 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: August 14, 2003, 03:41:40 PM »

Friends,

I would like to recommend this Orthodox website and forum for those interested in learning about Natural Family Planning as an alternative to artificial contraception:

http://www.orthodoxnfp.org

anastasios
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 03:42:01 PM by anastasios » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 04:18:46 PM »

In response, I would like to link to something I recently wrote on Contraception (partly as a critique of Noonan's book on the subject). In it I honestly ask about something I can't figure out for the life of me: if the goal of using NFP is to make sure that people don't become pregnant, then how can you say that it's not contra conception (contraception)?

http://www.geocities.com/stainlesskings888/noonan.html

Indeed, as even the flawed text of Noonan pointed out: "The method of contraception practiced by these Manichees whom Augustine knew is the use of the sterile period as determined by Greek medicine... In the history of the thought of theologians on contraception, it is, no doubt, piquant that the first pronouncement on contraception by the most influential theologian teaching on such matters should be such a vigorous attack on the one method of avoiding procreation accepted by twentieth-century Catholic theologians as morally lawful."

Justin

PS. Just so there's no confusion, I am speaking of general principles here, and not saying that there cannot be exceptions.

PSS. I should note that the text at the link is a rough draft, and am in the process of editing it (and will probably add something like 20% in content, including more quotes that actually deal explicitly with the contraception issue)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 04:22:35 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Tags: natural family planning birth control 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: