OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:40:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Orthodox] Synod of Jersulaem [1672] authoritive?  (Read 789 times) Average Rating: 0
Ignatius of Antioch

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Saint Ignatius of Antioch Pray for us!

« on: July 07, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »

Hello,

I am starting to read the Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem held in 1672--->http://catholicity.elcore.net/ConfessionOfDositheus.html

Does this Council have any dogmatic authority? How do we Eastern Orthodox Christians view this Eastern Orthodox Synod?

Blessings,
Ignatius
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:11:54 AM by Ignatius of Antioch » Logged

Virgin Theotokos, rejoice!
O Mary, Full of Grace;
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
For thou hast borne the Savior of our souls.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory Forever!
O Giver of Life, Glory to Thee!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »

Honest answer? Never heard of it until now.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:56:38 AM »

Yes it has dogmatic value still, but dated (because it is not ecumenical).  It addressed the beliefs of the newly formed Protestants, i.e. people who were already outside the Orthodox Church (Ecumenical Councils address errors among those of the Orthodox Church).  It was held during the Western Captivilty of the Church, and hence it does not reflect the Orthodox phronema, as do the ecumenical councils.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

The Pan-orthodox Synod was raised, as ialmisry rightly said, to contrast the errors (or heresies) of the Reformed Churches. I don't agree, though, with the fact he isn't as authoritative as the others. In fact the Synod was established because of the supposed Calvinist tendencies and heretical declarations of Cyril Lucaris (Patriarch Cyril III of Alexandria and later Patriarch Cyril I of Constantinople). As Calvinist theology was technically based on contrast with Rome, many of Cyril's doctrines and innovations introduced concepts like the idea of two Sacraments in the Church or the denial of Christ's Real Presence in the Eucharist.
In order to refuse and anathemize those heresies, the Synod adopted a more... West-friendly language, even introducing the spurious concept of transubstantiation (in Greek Metousiosis) to express the Eucharistic Metabolè, and also numbered the Sacraments as seven (the same as the Roman Catholic Church).
What do I think of this Council? I consider it on the same level as other Councils held before 1056, for example the Council in Trullo. They are authoritative but not ecumenical, that means they express the position of the Orthodox on some subjects and can't be used as a "conditio sine qua non" in Ecumenical context, i.e. the possibility of a re-union with an heterodox Church should start with the analysis of the common deposit of faith (the seven Ecumenical Councils) but not the Synod of Jerusalem which reflects a particular view of Orthodoxy (or "theological opinion").

In Christ,    Alex

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Ignatius of Antioch

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Saint Ignatius of Antioch Pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »

Thank-you all!

Blessings,
Ramon

Virgin Theotokos, rejoice!
O Mary, Full of Grace;
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
For thou hast borne the Savior of our souls.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory Forever!
O Giver of Life, Glory to Thee!
Tags: councils 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: