OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:26:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Holy Father Give the Blessing."  (Read 1868 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: July 06, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »

Does anyone know if the following is accurate?  Nearly 30 years ago, a chanter (psalti), who was trained somewhere in Greece, told me that when leading into the dismissal of a service, i.e. "Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit now and ever an unto ages of ages, Amen.  Lord Have Mercy (3); Father Give the Blessing," or "Father Bless" is proper.  It is only at a Divine Liturgy that the priest is referred to as "Holy Father..."; "Pater Hagie"  as opposed to "Evlogison Pater."  Is this distinction accurate?  My interest in this issue is not limited to Greek practice.  (By the way, I always insert, "In the Name of the Lord, Father Give...") 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:06:46 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

Does anyone know if the following is accurate?  Nearly 30 years ago, a chanter (psalti), who was trained somewhere in Greece, told me that when leading into the dismissal of a service, i.e. "Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit now and ever an unto ages of ages, Amen.  Lord Have Mercy (3); Father Give the Blessing," or "Father Bless" is proper.  It is only at a Divine Liturgy that the priest is referred to as "Holy Father..."; "Pater Hagie"  as opposed to "Evlogison Pater."  Is this distinction accurate?  My interest in this issue is not limited to Greek practice.  (By the way, I always insert, "In the Name of the Lord, Father Give...") 

I hear the "Pater Hagie" in most GOA Churches.  Never heard the "Evlogison Pater."

Other Orthodox Churches usually drop the Holy and say "Father, Give the Blessing."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:40:39 PM »

The traditional ending is "Evlogison Pater" or "Evlogison Dhespota", which is what is often found in the older manuscripts. This translates simply as "Bless Father" or "Bless Master" without any other additions. The adding of the Hagie to the phrases is only seen in books from the 19th century and on which means it was an addition.

Joseph
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »

I have not been to a Greek-speaking parish, but the several English-speaking ones I have been to have all said merely, "Father bless" or "Master bless."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »

I have not been to a Greek-speaking parish, but the several English-speaking ones I have been to have all said merely, "Father bless" or "Master bless."

I have heard (Father, Master) give the blessing in addition to (Father, Master) bless in non-GOA Churches.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »

I have heard (Father, Master) give the blessing in addition to (Father, Master) bless in non-GOA Churches.
So have I. I meant that I haven't heard the "holy" part in an English-speaking parish.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: