OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 25, 2014, 05:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parishes with weekday Matins or Vespers  (Read 2170 times) Average Rating: 0
filipinopilgrim

« on: July 03, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »

Dear all:

In past posts, I had asked about parishes with frequent or even daily Divine Liturgy in the USA, Canada, Australia, etc.

Now, I'd like to know more about parishes and cathedrals that have kept the tradition of frequent Matins / Orthros or Vespers. Please help me compile a little list.  Smiley
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »

Dear to Christ Filipinopilgrim,

My parish, St John the Forerunner Antiochian Orthodox Church located in Cedar Park Texas, offers daily  Orthros, and either compline or vespers  depending on the day of the week. The major feasts are also observed with Orthros and the Divine Liturgy during the day and the appropriate Vespers the evening before. Every saturday Evening  Vespers are held and every Sunday Orthros begins at 8am with Divine Liturgy at 10 am.  Our parish has about 15O members on the record and we average about 100+ people at Sunday Liturgy, some who travel 75 miles to come to services one way every Sunday. You may view our parish website at www.theforerunner.org if you like.  I hope this provided the information you wished to know.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral (OCA) in Boston has vespers on Tuesday and Thursday, along with Saturday night vigil, and of course the liturgy Sunday.

http://holytrinityorthodox.org/

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »

Some parishes have daily liturgy.  I believe St. Michael's in Binghamton, NY has daily liturgy.  There are parishes around me that have Wed. Vespers as standard during the week.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:31:20 PM by username! » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »

In my parish, we have Matins daily and Vespers on Saturday night; I go to an Antiochian church. There is a ROCOR church here in Michigan that I know of that does daily Vespers.
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

In my parish, we have Matins daily and Vespers on Saturday night; I go to an Antiochian church. There is a ROCOR church here in Michigan that I know of that does daily Vespers.

What are these parishes? Do they have websites?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »

Dear all:

In past posts, I had asked about parishes with frequent or even daily Divine Liturgy in the USA, Canada, Australia, etc.

Now, I'd like to know more about parishes and cathedrals that have kept the tradition of frequent Matins / Orthros or Vespers. Please help me compile a little list.  Smiley

In Washington DC: St. John the Baptist  Cathedral ( Rocor)

Beltsville MD in the DC Suburbs: Holy Apostles (Rocor)

Washington DC: St. Nicholas Cathedral ( OCA)

Each holds "All night Vigil" Vespers and Matins and usually an annointing each Sat. and the prior evening before each weekday Liturgy when they occur.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral (OCA) in Boston has vespers on Tuesday and Thursday, along with Saturday night vigil, and of course the liturgy Sunday.

http://holytrinityorthodox.org/
My parish (OCA) does something very similar:
  • Daily Vespers on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Great Vespers on Saturdays
  • Matins followed by Divine Liturgy on Sundays
  • Midweek services as prescribed for major feasts

www.stnicholaspdx.org
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:50:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »

What are these parishes? Do they have websites?

St. Nicholas (Antiochian): www.stnickgr.com
St. Herman of Alaska (ROCOR): www.stherman.net
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:24:56 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »

At our church we do a few services during the week. Ignore the error in the calender.

My parish: www.joyofallwhosorrow.org

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »

From the preliminary data I've collected (both on this and various fora, as well as through private research), I've come to notice that ROCOR, OCA-Western Diocese (esp. "Russian" old calendar parishes) and some Antiochian and Serbian parishes disproportionately predominate among parishes with very frequent Divine Liturgies, Vespers and/or Matins at least 4x a week, etc. (For the record, I now have some 40 parishes and cathedrals in my list, that have regular divine services -- excluding special feastday ones -- at least 4 days of the week). In also notice the apparent absence of GOAA from the list.

I'd like to know why "Russian" parishes would seem to be more likely to have frequent services compared to, say, the Greek Orthodox. Please understand that this is just my observation on raw data, and does not constitute any negative judgments on anybody.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

^ Dwindling attendance at GOA services is due to elderly people not being able to attend daily services.  Many GOA Churches are located either in "out of the way" places with no public transportation or in the middle of urban areas with "perceived" around the clock crime problems.

Last Thanksgiving Eve, I attended the Divine Liturgy and besides my parents, the sexton and the chanter's wife, no one else from the Community attended.   Huh
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »

Dear all:

My former parish back home in Franklin, TN (suburb of nashville) has frequent Matins and Vespers during the week, in addition to daily Third and Sixth Hour prayers.

http://www.saint-ignatius.org/services.st.ig.htm

Tags: liturgy Matins vespers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: