OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:34:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our front porch bluebird's had 5 babies!!  (Read 2253 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: July 01, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »

A pair of bluebirds took up residence in a bird box on our porch.  They had 5 babies about one day ago.  Now there is constant activity as dad and mom both are pitching in to feed the 5 babies. 

not the best picture but it'll do for now.  And I have to build mom and dad an official bluebird box since they'll be permanent residents now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:40:46 PM by username! » Logged

leapers

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »

Congratulations to the new Mom & Dad!  Smiley
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »

That's very cool!
And these are blue birds and not blue jays?
I have heard that blue birds are becoming rare to find.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:45:56 PM »

Cool.  I've had phoebes nest right outside my window before.  I haven't been birdwatching much at all this year....this reminds me that I'd better get out there soon before the breeding season is entirely done.  Smiley

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:42 AM »

Congratulations!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 04:47:34 AM »

That's very cool!
And these are blue birds and not blue jays?
I have heard that blue birds are becoming rare to find.

Yes bluebirds

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:27 AM »

How great are thy works, O Lord! in wisdom hast thou wrought them all: the earth is filled with thy creation!
(Psalm 104:24 LXX)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »

How beautiful!! Congratulations, username!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

On My front porch there's a nesting pair of red robins i let them be this year ,last year i didn't allow them to build a nest...each time they build it id take it down ...the eggs hatched this year two of them.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0...............SmileyCentral.com" border="0......wanted to mention there a dove that hang's around on the back porch roof ,, it cooo's alot .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:56:51 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

Beautiful! Congratulations, Username!

Stashku, brate, how I loooove your computer graphics! Great birds!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Love never fails.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

How beautiful!

So are you a birdwatcher, or did these little guys just catch your fancy?  Smiley

We have some hummingbirds in our back yard, and I saw a beautiful golden finch outside our church last week.  Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »

I can't see the picture, but I notice from the code that it was sent from your phone. Is there another way you can upload it?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »

Thanks be to God.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »

Beautiful! Congratulations, Username!

Stashku, brate, how I loooove your computer graphics! Great birds!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hvala i tebi Brate.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

Congratulations! We have Cardinals in the winter and Blue Jays in the summer. I've never seen a bluebird before, though -much better looking than the crow-like Jays.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:53:26 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

Yes bluebirds

That's awesome!
What a blessing.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

Bluebirds have faced a serious population decline.  A combination of habitat destruction, feral cats (letting fluffy roam free) and because house wrens and european starlings compete for nesting space.   The house wren and european starling are well, duh, originally from Europe.  Bluebirds require nesting cavities (ie, holes in trees).  The European Starlings and House Wren also nest in places like holes trees.  So building bluebird boxes and keeping out the house wrens (the holes you build in a box are too small for the starlings to enter) has basically kept the Bluebird from slipping into a serious survival situation.  The box on my porch was one of those ones the kids paint and hang because its seemingly cute (luckily it is a decent sized box).  So the bluebirds found it because they are that strapped for natural nesting places due to the infestation of the house wren and european starlings.  So when I get back home I'll be building them a real bluebird box.  I almost have to, since they've already moved in and had babies that basically means they have declared my front porch as home.  I want then to have a spacious bluebird box with predator control built in to keep out predators.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »

I can't see the picture, but I notice from the code that it was sent from your phone. Is there another way you can upload it?

If you have the same service provider as me i'll send you a picture message.  I'm away from home and I'll probably miss the babies leaving the nest.  but they'll stay around for a while and the dad actually takes them up to the tops of trees in the area and teaches them to fly, eat, you know be a bluebird.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

Why don't you grab a couple of the babies ..hand feed them shove them in a cage and tame then ....there pretty bird's...you can get bait  worms at a bait shop  also meal worm's.....iv seen some birds in the pet shop's the have that same  sparrow body designs....just a thought.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:57:33 PM by stashko » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »

Why don't you grab a couple of the babies ..hand feed them shove them in a cage and tame then

Because Bluebirds are a protected species and it's illegal to capture them.  They were in a decline which is why the North American Bluebird Society was formed.

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/index.htm

People build nesting boxes specifically for Bluebirds in many areas to encourge them to breed and thrive.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »

The house wren and european starling are well, duh, originally from Europe.

Oh, I HATE starlings! Angry
They're annoying, aggressive birds who NEVER give up! I've even seen them harass the pretty robins for food they've caught! Angry
I had a friend who grew up on a farm and she'd shoot these little buggers with her BB gun. Can we do that in the suburbs?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:32:14 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »

Because Bluebirds are a protected species and it's illegal to capture them.  They were in a decline which is why the North American Bluebird Society was formed.

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/index.htm

People build nesting boxes specifically for Bluebirds in many areas to encourge them to breed and thrive.

Ebor

Oh! Ok.........SmileyCentral.com" border="0

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »

Why don't you grab a couple of the babies ..hand feed them shove them in a cage and tame then ....there pretty bird's...you can get bait  worms at a bait shop  also meal worm's.....iv seen some birds in the pet shop's the have that same  sparrow body designs....just a thought.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

With all due respect, that's never a good idea.  Wild birds are made to fly free.   Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags: animals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: