OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:24:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church Design and Architecture...  (Read 1408 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »

Hey all, I thought i'd start a new/fresh discussion...

One of my hopes is to become an architect and eventually design Orthodox Churches as well as smaller homes.

So I was wondering, what advice does everyone have on designing Orthodox Churches (as though I were doing it now)?

Also, just curious, does anyone attend a church of about 250? If so, how big is it? If possible, could you give me the dimensions of the nave?

In a world of increasing construction costs (at least in the U.S.) it becomes more and more difficult to construct traditional Orthodox churches in this country. How could we overcome the costs?

Lastly, is it better to have smaller churches or many large ones? Should they be concentrated in urban areas and rural towns or in suburbs?

Also, feel free to share your favorite things about Orthodox churches or beautiful exteriors/interiors
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

Here's a serbian church .....http://www.geocities.com/stczarlazar/Gracanica_Serbs.html

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »

Here is an 11th century St. Sophia Cathedral in my home city, Kyiv ("Kiev"):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://galen-frysinger.com/ukraine/kiev10.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.galenfrysinger.com/st_sophia_cathedral_kyiv.htm&h=648&w=403&sz=82&hl=en&start=3&sig2=5nxYcLiw4BgxUDoJNkb0xQ&um=1&tbnid=lIY1L9m2J7deqM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=85&ei=4K9rSNf_EIO4iAHo-JnyCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSt.%2BSophia%2BKyiv%2Bpictures%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »

^ Beautiful. I enjoyed very much seeing the churches in Europe. They were built to last.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:13 PM »

What type of flooring should be in the altar area of the church? carpet, wood, marble etc?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »

What type of flooring should be in the altar area of the church? carpet, wood, marble etc?

Something that is easy to clean wax and oil spills from.  Seriously, carpet would be a disaster.
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »

Something that is easy to clean wax and oil spills from.  Seriously, carpet would be a disaster.

The altar at my parish (~70 years old) is carpet. We are thinking of changing it. From your experience, what is the ideal flooring, if there is no Traditional flooring?
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

I would suggest, depending on the building itself, that you could have tile, or even concrete (though it would be stained to look nicer). It just depends, carpet is generally a bad idea, not just because of stains, wax and incense, but also because it dampens sound significantly.
Tags: architecture 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: