Author Topic: Orthodox Church Design and Architecture...  (Read 1629 times)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Orthodox Church Design and Architecture...
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »
Hey all, I thought i'd start a new/fresh discussion...

One of my hopes is to become an architect and eventually design Orthodox Churches as well as smaller homes.

So I was wondering, what advice does everyone have on designing Orthodox Churches (as though I were doing it now)?

Also, just curious, does anyone attend a church of about 250? If so, how big is it? If possible, could you give me the dimensions of the nave?

In a world of increasing construction costs (at least in the U.S.) it becomes more and more difficult to construct traditional Orthodox churches in this country. How could we overcome the costs?

Lastly, is it better to have smaller churches or many large ones? Should they be concentrated in urban areas and rural towns or in suburbs?

Also, feel free to share your favorite things about Orthodox churches or beautiful exteriors/interiors

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
Re: Orthodox Church Design and Architecture...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
^ Beautiful. I enjoyed very much seeing the churches in Europe. They were built to last.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:13 PM »
What type of flooring should be in the altar area of the church? carpet, wood, marble etc?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »
What type of flooring should be in the altar area of the church? carpet, wood, marble etc?

Something that is easy to clean wax and oil spills from.  Seriously, carpet would be a disaster.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »

Something that is easy to clean wax and oil spills from.  Seriously, carpet would be a disaster.

The altar at my parish (~70 years old) is carpet. We are thinking of changing it. From your experience, what is the ideal flooring, if there is no Traditional flooring?

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
I would suggest, depending on the building itself, that you could have tile, or even concrete (though it would be stained to look nicer). It just depends, carpet is generally a bad idea, not just because of stains, wax and incense, but also because it dampens sound significantly.