OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:24:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does a Non-Greek Guy Talk to a Greek Lady???  (Read 4180 times) Average Rating: 0
SoulBrother

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: June 30, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

I've been attending the Greek Orthodox church for a while.  And I realize that Greeks are not very friendly people with people outside their race (nationality).  So I like this Greek Lady at the church, but here is the problem, I have no problem talking to the girl, in fact, I have plenty of experience in talking to ladies, however what is difficult about talking to a greek women, not only do I have to convince the lady but I have to convince the family.

So how do I convince the family???  Are there books on how to convince a greek family that you are good enough to marry their daughter???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:11:29 PM by SoulBrother » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

I've been attending the Greek Orthodox church for a while.  And I realize that Greeks are not very friendly people with people outside their race (nationality).  So I like this Greek Lady at the church, but here is the problem, I have no problem talking to the girl, in fact, I have plenty of experience in talking to ladies, however what is difficult about talking to a greek women, not only do I have to convince the lady but I have to convince the family.

So how do I convince the family???  Are there books on how to convince a greek family that you are good enough to marry their daughter???

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »

You don't need books - Come to DC in 10 days for the Young Adult League (YAL) Conference.  As long as you're under 40 and pay the required fees and 3 or 4 nights hotel stay (the Marriott is likely to be sold out by now and there are hotels further up Connecticut Ave. which may be available and cheaper), there are friends to be made and one can learn something about the Orthodox Christian faith in the process.

Young Adult League 2008 Convention Website
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »

Whatever you do, don't wear your "Ataturk for President" T-shirt.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »

You should convince the family that you are good enough to marry their daughter by acting in a way that will make them truly believe you are good enough to marry their daughter. It will also help if their daughter feels the same way.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »

Just be yourself. Be honest. Don't try to play someone else to please her or her family.
I attended the Wedding of my Cousin's Daughter on Sunday and nearly vomited into my dessert when her father, my Cousin, got up to give his speech about how happy he was that her new husband "shared the same morals and ethics" as his family. This guy ripped my older brother off for $250,000 as well as ripping two of his own brothers off for even more. One of his own brothers is suing him!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:01:01 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »

I've always found Greek people to be friendly with us xenoi. I mean, they liked me enough to make me a priest...

Wink

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »

Be like a son to her father and like a son to her mother.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »

Be like a son to her father and like a son to her mother.

In short, do what the mother tells you Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »

My wife and I are Ukrainians, and we happen to attend a mission parish that is almost entirely ethnic Greek. We never encountered any hostility or even any reservation toward us from the Greeks. They certainly know that we aren't ethnic Greek (although I am, actually, 1/8 ethnic Greek, but I grew up in the former Soviet Union and know next to nothing about the Greek language or culture). All we saw and felt, so far, was sincere friendliness, warmth. I don't know, maybe that's because we are as "un-American" (or "un-mainstream American") as these Greeks...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:12:03 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »

I haven't had a lot of experience with Greeks, but most of the Greeks whom I have met  on a superficial level have seemed very friendly and warm. I personally would find it a bit difficult to fit into the culture as I have spent so much time with the much more reserved Russians.  What astounded me was how thoroughly mainstream the Greeks  were (compared to myself and the pious Russians I know-mostly recent immigrants still finding their way in life in a foreign culture). Au contraire, most of the Greeks in my area have lived here for quite some time and are thoroughly integrated into this society, although of course they do maintain great pride in their "greekness" and most live happily in "greektown". I know several Greek women who are happily married to non-greeks and met a Greek man once who was married to a Chinese woman. If the attraction is mutual I can't see there being a huge problem! Best wishes in your romantic ventures.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:10:20 AM »

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Wink

Schultzie read my mind...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:45 AM »

Schultzie read my mind...

You know I just watched that movie, my big fat greek wedding.  It goes to show when you marry a greek woman, you are not just marrying the greek woman but her family.  I don't think most americans are accustomed to that.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »

SB,

Greeks are like Serbs (my ethnic background) and one of the things "we" as a people faced when we came to the west was the dilution of our ethnicity, culture and religion.  The "push back" against this sort of thing, often ends up in the wrong place.  Sometimes it comes out as "separatist" or arrogance or an air of "you're not good enough for us".  This is the first major obstacle you'll face and in some cases it might be insurmountable.

Here is my suggestion to you (as I saw it happen in my family).  When my sister met my brother-in-law, I knew it was going to be some interesting times at the SS99 home.  He was a 5th generation Canadian with a RC religious background.  He knew NOTHING of Serbia or Serbian customs.  He knew nothing of Orthodoxy or our religious practices and to steal a phrase from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", I think our family found his family "dry like toast".  That is probably the gentle way of saying "we thought they lacked any ethno-cultural sophistication or flavor". 

Having said that, my b-in-law took a real "manly" approach to the family and I think it served him well.  When he and my sis were getting really serious, he came to the house and wanted to talk to my father (primarily) and me about what it meant to be marrying a Serbian girl (or in your case even dating).

We had very high expectation of anyone (Serbian or other) of coming into our home, but the only thing my problem worried about was that he (and his family) might not understand "our" way of doing things.  My father told him that we celebrate "Slava" and he showed him the Icon of St. Nicholas in our house.  He talked to him about our religious practices and other Serbian customs, like celebrating Vidovdan.  These items were the essence of who we were as a people and it was important that my b-in-law understood that these areas were off limits to ridicule or disrespect.

When he showed that he would value these items as much as we did, he showed that he "accepted us" as much as we needed to "accept him".  He proved that by my sister marrying him, she would NOT loser her Slava, nor would their children.  They would NOT abandon the Church and the practices of our ancestors for the last 1000 years.

Before they married, he converted (you're already a huge step ahead).  He is well known in our Church, well liked and has NEVER done anything to make me question his commitment to preserving those things that are very important to my sister and my family.  In return, my b-in-law is just amazed at what my family has done for him.  My mother looks after him better than one of her own (if he's ever in the neighborhood he ALWAYS stops by for a hot meal and "drinks", not matter what Mom is doing).  My father helped him financially (big time) so that he could start his own business and is now making more than a million dollars a year.  I would not trade him for a "Serbian b-in-law" in a million years.  I don't believe my sister could have done any better.

The truth is, once he convinced us he would respect our religion and culture, he was a shoe in.  Some might have a higher standard than we did, but I think the most anyone can ever ask of you is to respect those things that might be "foreign" to you (as you should expect they respect the things foreign to them). 

And if all of this fails... yes, just watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:01:07 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Sophie

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:16 AM »

Greeks are friendly, but I guess we may also seem rather distant and exclusive at times.

I take it you have already got to know the girl then, and that you have talked to each other about how you feel about each other, or is it that you want to get to know her family so that you can get to know her better? Please explain better. Maybe, you haven´t talked enough yet? Does she know how you feel?

It does not take convincing the family, it takes convincing the girl. The family, unless we are talking about underage people, follows along. My (Greek) family approves of presentable, clean, hardworking, respectable and respectful young men who would accept to become Orthodox - if they are not already - to be with their daughters. It seems that you already fulfill the last qualification. After all, they see you at church. I would feel - and this, as a person who grew up in Greece with Greeks - that someone who attends a Greek Orthodox Church is very close to my culture already, although knows little about it.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »

You know I just watched that movie, my big fat greek wedding.  It goes to show when you marry a greek woman, you are not just marrying the greek woman but her family.  I don't think most americans are accustomed to that.

Here's a clip I found:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/261239/My-Big-Fat-Greek-Wedding/trailers

(Unfortunately, the part where Costa answers "No!" to Ian's question about dating his daughter is too short in this clip. A fuller version is:

Costa: I am the HEAD of the family! So, before dating my daughter, you should ask me, "May I date your daughter?"

Ian: OK, so may I date your daughter?

Costa: NNNNNNO!!!!!!!)

Love never fails.
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

Tell her you want to take her out for a Frappe. That may work
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »

Greek parents usually like to control there children's lives. If you are the Alpha male type than you have no chance. Submission is your best chance. And if you are a real Soulbrother. That makes things even worse. Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

Be Yourself and/or emulate the examples set by the men below.

Memorial Day Trip to Clearwater, FL
SoulBrother

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Greek parents usually like to control there children's lives. If you are the Alpha male type than you have no chance. Submission is your best chance. And if you are a real Soulbrother. That makes things even worse. Wink

Well I am a real soul brother... Thanks for your advice.....

Foreign people tend to think they own their children.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »

Own, might be a little over the top. I would call it manipulate. The parent manipulates until the child realizes that they actually have the power to control there parents. It's a vicious cycle, but it works.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
stewie

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

as a non-Greek married to a Greek woman, all I can say is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer.  while my wife never had the "marry Greek" hangup, some of her friends do.  They wouldn't even consider marrying another ethnic background, Orthodox or not.

there's no magic to it.  treat her as you would any other girl you are interested in, and hope that if she has an idea in her mind that she wants to end up with a Greek guy, you're able to change her mind.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

I am not sure about "own," but Ukrainians do most certainly have different idea about parent-children relationship compared to modern politically correct "progressive minded" Americans. My wife and I liev in the US; we are both over 50, but we cannot imagine not calling our mothers, who live in Ukraine, on the phone every week. We also cannot imagine not calling our 24-y.o. daughter on the phone, and she cannot imagine not calling us. It's just normal. We never restricted her in anything, but we worry and care about her more than about anything else in the world, and she knows it and she does not mind. Again, it is so normal to us. When our daughter was in high school, though, one of her classmates ran away - just for the heck of it, kind of like to "test" herself, can she do it. She was away for 3 weeks, rode buses, never called home. Her father had a heart attack, was in a hospital. But our daughter's school teacher told the kids in her class that this classmate of theirs just had to go through a "right of passage," and that it is so normal, so good for her... I just can't imagine this could ever happen with a Ukrainian kid. And I can't imagine a Ukrainian adult, let alone a schoolteacher, say that this kind of cold, heartless attitude to parents is "normal."

Love never fails.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »

I am not sure about "own," but Ukrainians do most certainly have different idea about parent-children relationship compared to modern politically correct "progressive minded" Americans. My wife and I liev in the US; we are both over 50, but we cannot imagine not calling our mothers, who live in Ukraine, on the phone every week. We also cannot imagine not calling our 24-y.o. daughter on the phone, and she cannot imagine not calling us. It's just normal. We never restricted her in anything, but we worry and care about her more than about anything else in the world, and she knows it and she does not mind. Again, it is so normal to us. When our daughter was in high school, though, one of her classmates ran away - just for the heck of it, kind of like to "test" herself, can she do it. She was away for 3 weeks, rode buses, never called home. Her father had a heart attack, was in a hospital. But our daughter's school teacher told the kids in her class that this classmate of theirs just had to go through a "right of passage," and that it is so normal, so good for her... I just can't imagine this could ever happen with a Ukrainian kid. And I can't imagine a Ukrainian adult, let alone a schoolteacher, say that this kind of cold, heartless attitude to parents is "normal."

I talk to my mother (and always have) at least once a week and all my siblings do the same (my father's a different story, but that's just how he is).  Even my brother, the proverbial black sheep of the family, at the height of his "misbehavior", talked to my mother at least once a week.  I talk to each of my siblings at least once a month, even the ones I really don't have anything in common with.  I can't imagine what it would be like otherwise and I certainly don't understand people who don't keep in touch with their family, especially when there's been no real falling out.  Then again, my father didn't really talk to his family a whole lot after my grandfather died, but, again, that's how "he is".  My family is also far from "ethnic".  My wife comments all the time just how un-ethnic we are.

The teacher's endorsement of this "rite of passage" is kind of scary. 

How does my second generation from immigration mother-in-law fit into that one?  She's the most manipulative person I've ever met. Wink

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »

I would feel - and this, as a person who grew up in Greece with Greeks - that someone who attends a Greek Orthodox Church is very close to my culture already, although knows little about it.

I agree. The OP is (a) Orthodox and (b) attends a Greek Orthodox parish. He's already part of the extended family.

Provided he has a steady job, is reasonably healthy and close to the same age as the girl in question, the yiayiades et al. will swarm him with acceptance, hugs, kisses and many proclamations about his being a good boy.

This happens to me on a daily basis.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 03:07:18 AM »

George this rite of passage thing is crazy! In our Greek household if I did this my father would throttle me Cheesy and you also know i'm greek because I can so nonchalantly put a smiley face after talking about throttling children.

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:06 AM »

"Throttle", prodromas? That would be letting you off easy by Greek Father standards!   laugh
Sophie

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »

George this rite of passage thing is crazy! In our Greek household if I did this my father would throttle me Cheesy and you also know i'm greek because I can so nonchalantly put a smiley face after talking about throttling children.

In our Greek household it would not even cross our mind to run away, let alone considering it our right, hehe! I live in Spain and talk to my parents in Greece on the phone every other day or every couple of days and to my sister practically every day.

I think this thread is being systematically hijacked... Tongue

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51:37 AM »

In our Greek household it would not even cross our mind to run away, let alone considering it our right, hehe! I live in Spain and talk to my parents in Greece on the phone every other day or every couple of days and to my sister practically every day.

I think this thread is being systematically hijacked... Tongue

Well not really just some things SoulBrother should know about the culture.

cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »

I would assume that a non-Greek guy would do it the same way a Greek does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_production

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Tags: Relationship Advice marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: