OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:04:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving one's memory  (Read 844 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: June 30, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »

For the past year or so my ability to recall not only things i've studied/learnt, but even recently people's names and details of not-too-distant conversations, has drastically diminished for reasons I cannot yet determine. I've tried things like Omega 3 and vitamin supplements, but they seem to be useless. I was hoping to hear from others who may have had a similar problem at one stage and who can recommend ways of dealing with it that worked for them.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »

Wait until you reach forty.  Then you'll be lucky if you can remember your address at the end of the day.   Roll Eyes Smiley

In your case, the memory problems are probably due to having too much "on your plate," as they say.  Too many projects, too much stress and not enough sleep will do it to you.  Are you done with final exams?  Take a few days to do nothing but sleep, watch junky T.V. and eat ice cream.  Don't get out of your pajamas.  You'll be surprised at how much good that does you.  I'll say a prayer for you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:32:27 AM by Salpy » Logged

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:42:36 AM »

In your case, the memory problems are probably due to having too much "on your plate," as they say.  Too many projects, too much stress and not enough sleep will do it to you.  Are you done with final exams?  Take a few days to do nothing but sleep, watch junky T.V. and eat ice cream.  Don't get out of your pajamas.  You'll be surprised at how much good that does you.  I'll say a prayer for you.

Good advice. Insufficient sleep is often a big culprit, along with stress.
Sleep is opportunity for the brain heal and self-repair. In my work with the mentally ill, we teach recovered patients to look for the warning signs that they might be having a relapse, and one of the first common warning signs is decreased sleep.
The other thing that worked for me was remembering the living and the dead in my prayers. I keep a diptych with the first names of the living who have asked me to pray for them on one side and the names of the departed on the other, and each evening, I commemorate each person in my prayers. Since I started doing this, I noticed a very sharp increase in my memory and ability to recall stuff. It seems, like everything else, we need to exercise our memory.
Another way of exercising the brain is mindfulness and being present in the moment. Whenever you wash the dishes, wash the dishes; that is to say, focus all your attention to what you are doing. This helps stop the endless chatter and self-talk that goes on in our heads which is a passion we all have to struggle with. Learning to "filter out the noise" and being mindful in the moment helps eliminate the unnecessary things which preoccupy our minds like tenants who pay no rent.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »

I have had this problem too. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:21:49 PM by Jimmy » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »

Another way of exercising the brain is mindfulness and being present in the moment. Whenever you wash the dishes, wash the dishes; that is to say, focus all your attention to what you are doing. This helps stop the endless chatter and self-talk that goes on in our heads which is a passion we all have to struggle with. Learning to "filter out the noise" and being mindful in the moment helps eliminate the unnecessary things which preoccupy our minds like tenants who pay no rent.

Excellent advice.  Multi-tasking is so highly valued in society these days that it's hard to concentrate on one thing at a time.  I have a friend who uses tricks like "Jill Hatfield was wearing a hat when I met her" to remember names or mnemonics to remember lists but I find those more distracting than helpful. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: